Unicef feed children, the absolute b*****ds.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland

So after the tories had to have their arms twisted into not letting children starve over the holidays now Jacob Rees Mogg has said Unicef should be ashamed of themselves for... let me check my notes... feeding hungry children. Fuck me, the tories have gone full tory.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Its just super that the conservatives have discovered the magical word game of "playing politics" and they can use against everything they don't like. Wearing masks "that's playing politics" ad telling men to confront men being dicks "playing politics" gay characters in media, you better believe that's a "playing politics." No one believes in anything, its all just for political brownie points.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Jacob Rees-Mogg is a grotesque anachronism, who has his current position-- leader of the House of Commons-- solely because his quaint old-world style (well-spoken, wears top-hats) appeals to pretentious upper-middle-class southern Englanders. He has no particular expertise or experience of note.

Unicef are launching a campaign in the UK because children are starving in the UK. It's literally their remit. That Rees-Mogg doesn't recognise the need simply speaks to the insulated bubble of ignorance he lives in.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Its just super that the conservatives have discovered the magical word game of "playing politics"
The Tories haven't been playing politics: they were engaged in deadly serious politics when they decided to slash to ribbons the budgets of local councils that provide vital social safety nets.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

So after the tories had to have their arms twisted into not letting children starve over the holidays now Jacob Rees Mogg has said Unicef should be ashamed of themselves for... let me check my notes... feeding hungry children. Fuck me, the tories have gone full tory.
Was....was he drunk when he made this pronouncement?

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Its just super that the conservatives have discovered the magical word game of "playing politics" and they can use against everything they don't like. Wearing masks "that's playing politics" ad telling men to confront men being dicks "playing politics" gay characters in media, you better believe that's a "playing politics." No one believes in anything, its all just for political brownie points.
Same things happening here. Opposition wants to pay student nurses who are being forced to work as nurses during the pandemic they're accused of playing politics. Want to question the minister of justice as to why she pushed through her party's former attorney General for the supreme Court without consulting anyone despite the fact that he has never sat as a judge. Playing politics. The worst part is it all comes from Leo Varadkar the man who literally just said he regrets not waiting until Easter to hold an election because he reckons the pandemic would have gained them votes. The literal fucking definition of playing politics.

Meanwhile his coalition partner and our Taoiseach insisted that there was no bank bailout in the Dail because Irish politics have gone full Trump.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
This is the **** who wondered why we couldn't just have border checks in the North like we did during the troubles. He's an actual cartoon character of British imperialism.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
No. Read the article. He was responding directly to the following:

“So will (Mr Rees-Mogg) give government time to discuss the need to make him and his super-rich chums pay their fair share so that we can end the grotesque inequality that scars our society?”

He's an idiot for putting the target on UNICEF and not solely on the person he was responding to, sure. But when someone comes up with "A charity organization that feeds the poor gave 0.000005% of it's budget to a school breakfast program in the UK, therefore you and your rich friends are starving children to death" the proper response is some variation of "oh go to hell".

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
This is the **** who wondered why we couldn't just have border checks in the North like we did during the troubles. He's an actual cartoon character of British imperialism.
I saw a period news piece about that on YouTube the other night. The army officer they were interviewing said he'd have been happy if the each got a pound for every car searched. Because they did like 5000 a day or something. It was insane.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Nope, I chose to censor it. Not sure if it was allowed or not. **** got censored all on its own though.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
I saw a period news piece about that on YouTube the other night. The army officer they were interviewing said he'd have been happy if the each got a pound for every car searched. Because they did like 5000 a day or something. It was insane.
A whole bunch of tory talking points about the border has been "it worked in the 80's". Because what's a few hundred dead Irish to the empire, y'know?

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
No. Read the article. He was responding directly to the following:

“So will (Mr Rees-Mogg) give government time to discuss the need to make him and his super-rich chums pay their fair share so that we can end the grotesque inequality that scars our society?”

He's an idiot for putting the target on UNICEF and not solely on the person he was responding to, sure. But when someone comes up with "A charity organization that feeds the poor gave 0.000005% of it's budget to a school breakfast program in the UK, therefore you and your rich friends are starving children to death" the proper response is some variation of "oh go to hell".
Maybe it's just me, but the fact that there are any starving children is a problem. How many kids unnecessarily going hungry are you ok with? 5000? 50,000? Half a million?

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Maybe it's just me, but the fact that there are any starving children is a problem. How many kids unnecessarily going hungry are you ok with? 5000? 50,000? Half a million?
He's grand with them being left to rot in a septic tank so he probably thinks starvation's too good for them.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Same things happening here. Opposition wants to pay student nurses who are being forced to work as nurses during the pandemic they're accused of playing politics. Want to question the minister of justice as to why she pushed through her party's former attorney General for the supreme Court without consulting anyone despite the fact that he has never sat as a judge. Playing politics. The worst part is it all comes from Leo Varadkar the man who literally just said he regrets not waiting until Easter to hold an election because he reckons the pandemic would have gained them votes. The literal fucking definition of playing politics.

Meanwhile his coalition partner and our Taoiseach insisted that there was no bank bailout in the Dail because Irish politics have gone full Trump.
That puts me in mind of the trump supporter who advocated heavy herd immunity.

Its hard to tell if this is more evil or stupid.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
That puts me in mind of the trump supporter who advocated heavy herd immunity.

Its hard to tell if this is more evil or stupid.
They aren't mutually exclusive. Normally I would say "don't attribute to evil what can be attributed to stupidity" but the republicans have shown time and time again over this administration, that they are very targeted in their behavior. So I say it's equal parts stupid and evil.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
They aren't mutually exclusive. Normally I would say "don't attribute to evil what can be attributed to stupidity" but the republicans have shown time and time again over this administration, that they are very targeted in their behavior. So I say it's equal parts stupid and evil.
I kinda lean more towards stupid since republicans are the 'small government' party. Generally meaning they think government should do as little as possible and I can see the herd immunity argument leaning into that. But... yeah, probably a combination of their stupidity also managing to be evil.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I kinda lean more towards stupid since republicans are the 'small government' party. Generally meaning they think government should do as little as possible and I can see the herd immunity argument leaning into that. But... yeah, probably a combination of their stupidity also managing to be evil.
they don't actually think that. they say whatever they need to maintain power. but if they can sneak in increased government power in their favor, they are all for it. Just look at what they are trying to do with the "voting fraud" bullshit.