United Kingdom Privilege (NSFW)

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
An Ceannaire said:
sageoftruth said:
As an American with no fondness for words like those, I consider it a privilege.
Check your privilege, ****.

OT: Surprised nobody has caused genuine uproar yet about this comic seemingly implying that Ireland is part of the UK.
Sorry. What I was trying to say was, I'm pleased to live among people who cannot use that word.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Jandau said:
...to which I would respond with "Yes, I did just put a curse on you, and if you ask nicely, I'll tell you if the curse will require you to wear diapers or not" :D
And that's the point where I say "HA! Joke's on you! I already wear diapers as a necessity!" :p

Johnlives

Dec 6, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
I never swear, but only because I find it to sound bad on my end... as in, I don't sound logical when I say it. So I never speak of such words and describe things differently. For example the common person may say-

Random Person: "AAHHHH F*** I STUBBED MY TOE!! GOD D*** IT!!"

Me" "OOOoowwwwwwwww ... holy crap, my toe! I hit it quite hard and now i'm in sheer pain!!"

... Lame I know.
Actually some people would consider "crap" a swear word. Congratulations, one of us, one of us.

Also I'm also gonna say **** because I'm British and it's allowed.

Alex Baas

Dec 2, 2011
Bindal said:
Well, the C-word is the UKs counterpart to the US F-Word... bleeped out in "child friendlier" things, but otherwise fine.
At least as far as I am aware. Then again, also as far as I am aware, brishish and australian accent is either almost swear-free or they're using swearing as replacement for commas. And because it's only what I am aware of and not what it actually is, nobody really cares about this if is indeed a brit saying it. (And also because it sounds a bit funny if heared VERY rarely - at least in my opinion)

Either way, it's the sole reason I love british accents.
I swear ti replace commas here in Canada

Capcha: read my mail

Honestly, are we sure Capcha isn't sentient?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
RJ 17 said:
Jandau said:
...to which I would respond with "Yes, I did just put a curse on you, and if you ask nicely, I'll tell you if the curse will require you to wear diapers or not" :D
And that's the point where I say "HA! Joke's on you! I already wear diapers as a necessity!" :p
Damnation, my Mystical Slavic Butt Curse has been foiled! Well played, sir. Well played...

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Every time I see the phrase "OI NAH YA ****!", I read it with an Australian accent. This creates an ambiguity in which I'm not sure if they're saying a dialectic version of "HEY, NO! You ****!" or an accented version of "I KNOW, YOU ****!"

Case in point:
"Yer a ****, 'Arry!"
"OI NAH YA ****!"

Is Australian Harry Potter denying Hagrid in that he is a ****, or is Aussie Potter playing along and agreeing with Hagrid?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I find the "papers are in order" line is funnier if read in a German accent. It helps drive home the point being made.
Michael Dunkerton said:
White Americans may not get to use "charged" swears, but we do get to use British swears without people thinking they are swears at all. Hence why Disney heroes Jack Sparrow and Loki get to say "bugger" and "quim". It doesn't count if the kiddies don't know what it means!
Loki? A hero? Have you watched the same movies I did?
rembrandtqeinstein said:
The best part was the the busybody in the first panel STRAINING to hear their conversation so she could find something in it to be offended by.

And the correct answer as always is to either totally ignore the busybody or to intentionally troll her if that amuses them at the moment.

Here in Amerika people have LOST THEIR JOBS because someone overheard something in a private conversation and was offended: http://www.wired.com/2013/03/richards-affair-and-misogyny-in-tech/
Weird, isn't it? People go around looking to be offended, as if it's their jobs. I think the PC police became real.

ShogunGino

Oct 27, 2008
You know, I, an American, have wondered for a while why it seems that only Americans tend to be SJWs, or at least the most offended at things. I think I know why now, or a least a theory.

I think its all backlash against the "Culturally Ignorant/Insensitive American" stereotype.

Make no mistake, most of us are very aware of how the rest of the world tends to view us in the most common of stereotypes. Like the loud-mouthed, gun-toting, overweight, overly patriotic stereotype, which is primarily a caricature of the right wing conservative half of the country. I think the more liberal of the country has taken the stereotypes to heart, and are dead-set in being as 'Un-American' as can be, including "Don't say anything offensive to anyone from a different culture."

One of the other posters on this topic said that he jokingly refers to himself as a 'sand ******', to which some of his Black acquaintances laugh along with, but the White girl is the only one who popped up to say "That's offensive!"

She's right, to a certain extent. How long has it been since the idea of N-word privileges have come into play? She thinks it's offensive because she's been taught that it's not okay for her to say it because it's a slur against ethnic minorities, and because she's of the White majority, she's knows that nobody would forgive her if she ever said it, even as a joke, except if she said it as a joke among ethnic friends who know she's joking. We've seen several times in the media when somebody even slightly lets slip anything that sounds remotely insensitive, even if it was a joke, they make as big a deal out of it as possible, many time it's people of that ethnic minority getting on screen saying that they're offended.

I think things like this have made a large enough portion of the United States believe in the most common American stereotype, and they want to reverse it by being as accommodating and 'unoffensive' as possible. So they let people of other countries have a free pass with their behaviors because they consider it 'cultural tolerance'. It's okay for Brits to say '****'. They're not American, so we can't criticize them. The only thing they seem to unite behind is if someone does something they consider sexist. Then, it doesn't matter where you're from.

Even now, I'm sure many of the non-American Escapist community knows at least one person who completely believes the Culturally Ignorant/Insensitive American is more of a fact than a generalization. The kind of person who sees any cultural faux pas by an American as 'yet more proof of their ignorance', when cultural ignorance is by no means exclusive to us.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
sageoftruth said:
An Ceannaire said:
sageoftruth said:
As an American with no fondness for words like those, I consider it a privilege.

OT: Surprised nobody has caused genuine uproar yet about this comic seemingly implying that Ireland is part of the UK.
Sorry. What I was trying to say was, I'm pleased to live among people who cannot use that word.
Isn't that kind of circular? The reason you're pleased to live among people who cannot use that word is because you don't like the use of that word, and you don't like the use of that word because you already live among people who don't use the word. If you were raised and lived in England it likely wouldn't even occur to you to dislike the word. In fact you almost certainly use words and phrases that would be offensive in other cultures and contexts all the time, without realising it. Everyone does.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
As a white american I use both the c word and the n word because saying fuck gets old after the 100th time I've said it in a day. Gotta get some variety, say words you aren't meant to, makes life more fun.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
this really needs English To American

Though I have noticed a certain English slang word for cigarette generally does not get used when something is intended for a wider audience as people are very much aware of its homophobic connotations in america.

Though it does give me a great anecdote about a friend of my mother getting herself in trouble on an american holiday by walking into a shop and asking for 20 (BLEEP)s. Luckily, her husband was american and cleared things up for her.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Lunncal said:
sageoftruth said:
An Ceannaire said:
sageoftruth said:

Isn't that kind of circular? The reason you're pleased to live among people who cannot use that word is because you don't like the use of that word, and you don't like the use of that word because you already live among people who don't use the word. If you were raised and lived in England it likely wouldn't even occur to you to dislike the word. In fact you almost certainly use words and phrases that would be offensive in other cultures and contexts all the time, without realising it. Everyone does.
Trust me. That's not the reason. There are plenty of words my people DO use that I still don't enjoy hearing. I'm just happy to have one less to listen to.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
This is a divine right that the British people must fight and die to defend. Just as America has a divine right to not care about other countries and Korea has a divine right to F2P MMOs. Without such things, we lose our cultural identity.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Fuck this noise!
Notion that someone may "own" the word is idiotic.
Either it's ok to say by anyone, or it isn't... you cunts.

Jhonie said:
Jandau said:
I'm from the non-english part of the word, I can call you things that would make your ears bleed in languages you can't begin to comprehend! :D

Also, love the crayon-drawn Irish passport.
Hehe, same here. I'm from Sweden, and the Swedish language has this beautiful and extremely handy trait that lets you combine almost any two words to form a new one. It opens up a whole new world of insults. :D Heck, we even have at least one song that is entierly compsed of one long string of insults. It's beautiful.
Hey, dicknugget, it isn't something unique to swedes :D

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
Shocksplicer said:
Oi cunts, you saying Aussies aren't allowed to say ****?
We say it a shitload more than you bloody Poms do.
Nah **** we're still part of the empire.

That does raise the question of Canada though.....and India.

-Fanny the word making the Nanny theme unintentionally funny since it was written.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Jandau said:
I'm from the non-english part of the word, I can call you things that would make your ears bleed in languages you can't begin to comprehend! :D

Also, love the crayon-drawn Irish passport.
That was the coolest sentence I've read all day... and then you ruined it by talking about crayons!