University Experimentally Bans Facebook and Twitter

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
i understand banning WoW and games like it( i used to quite addicted to it) i dont understand banning Twitter or Facebook. Facebook was made for college students to network, why ban it.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Would you take away pencils if one had been used to kill? No. Why then, would you take a useful tool away from any group of people? Just because something is misused or overused it does not make it a bad thing. I've really grown to hate all the people who senselessly condemn social media as a plague upon society; it is no more than a tool.

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
I know what its like, I have been using Computers since I was 4 so, its not a big deal to me. Plus my 6months or so of Basic and Ait. I did have internet access in Iraq though and could buy stuff online.

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
Sion_Barzahd said:
I did a full media blackout over the summer, i ditched my computer and TV. Keeping my phone on solely in case of emergancies. It lasted a week Was really hard too =/ you start to wonder what you did before you had the internet.
Trust me. If you go without a tv or computer for several months you won't even think about them much by the end of the period. I did something very similar and it was amazing how much more I got done when I didn't feel like I had to check this online or watch certain shows. It's a ***** at first though. It's almost depressing when you cut yourself off.

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
Sightless Wisdom said:
Would you take away pencils if one had been used to kill? No. Why then, would you take a useful tool away from any group of people? Just because something is misused or overused it does not make it a bad thing. I've really grown to hate all the people who senselessly condemn social media as a plague upon society; it is no more than a tool.
While I agree facebook and the like can be a useful tool for many it's quickly becoming an addiction. Some don't even realize the countless hours they waste checking on the status of others or seeing if they need to update some silly game. I've actually seen people completely forget about class lessons and put off doing their work till it's too late simply because they are absorbed in facebook or twitter.

An experiment like this is short term and doesn't hurt anything. Personally I think more people need to experience this kind of thing so they know how to use these tools without becoming obsessed with them.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
Would I fail the essay or get exemped? I dont use those, so it wouldnt change things for me. Though I may have to write about how annoying people got.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Personally I'd be in favour of a global ban on the damn social media crap, max 2 hours a week on Facebook, twitter, and whatever else is out there now, combined!

I've only got a damn Facebook account because my friends stopped emailing me, phoning me, etc when they were organising something and insisted on using that stupid thing.

And what is up with people's "friends" lists? some of my friends have lists numbered in 4 digits, and my is a paltry 28, and half of those are people I "have" to friend (my mother, siblings, etc) lest I get bombarded with a ton of bitching...

I just don't get the appeal of following some random tosser online...

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Hopefully, this ban will do more than just make them stop using it for a while...Like, make them stop using it permanently. :p

WelshDanny

May 10, 2010
Pah! Facebook didn't take off as a major force until I was in my third year at uni.

Back then we organised how and where we'd get pissed by speaking in lecturers or them old mobile telecommunication units.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Well, that's amusing. I never really got into the whole social networking thing. I just don't like it, i never saw the point of 'liking' everything and i certainly don't care enough to know what people are up to. About the only thing i use it for is organising group events with friends, like getting everyone to go down the pub. Other than that i consider them useless - i don't even use twitter full stop. Maybe i'm just biased with rage over the whole bebo thing when i was at school. God i hated that.

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
Well, my school has ALL access blocked to ALL social networking sites (they forgot all the proxies though :D) and we get on fine, but that's a SCHOOL.
I lived without social networking for about 3 years after Facebook and Myspace became the thing for everyone, and I was fine.
I just called or texted people, or, SHOCK HOROR, actually TALKED TO THEM FACE TO FACE!!! :O

Aphex Demon

Aug 23, 2010
It was banned in my college, http://www.facebook.com

Entering it via the secure server https://www.facebook.com wasnt banned.

Odd.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
The McDonald's 20 yards from the edge of campus that has wi-fi will be doing AMAZING business that week.

Because unfortunately, modern kids fail at these sorts of thought experiments. Instead of diving in and experimenting with themselves, challenging themselves, maybe growing a bit... they'll just find a work-around and completely dodge even the ACCIDENTAL chance of getting the point.

And in doing so, they will prove that exact point. And we can all look down on them for about ten minutes before we realize what we've already come to know and dread. They may be stupid, brainless, will-less zombies, but they will all probably have three times as many children as you. They are the future.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
They will hate him for it, but hes trying to point out they are all hopelessly addicted and programmed by it all.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
I really don't understand the appeal of such sites. I don't have accounts with them, and nobody is bugging me to get one either. Then again, I don't know very many people to begin with.