University Experimentally Bans Facebook and Twitter

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Im sure they will find another way to feed there addiction.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Lolz no more virtual Stalking for that poor girl XD

have a facebook i almost never check. and what the hell is twitter?

Jul 23, 2008
Pfft. With the prevalence of smartphones and mobile internet, it's way too easy for students to access facebook and twitter from other places.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I know of no one addicted to social networking, or are incapable of real contact.

This kind of thing is exaggerated, methinks.

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
I see where they are comming from, Giving something up you use everyday can be an eye opener...try it some time
Dont use your mobile for a week. Things like that make you apreeate them more.

roekenny

Jun 17, 2008
Never would of effected me since whole group use to mass migrate to pizza hut and pub if had 2 hours between lectures and if all split up just a mass txt saying PUB and all would arrive within 20 min and take over pool table for the rest of the day. Only time need it is to arrange a night out and can do that at home or cafe.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
But how will they organise going drinking during college hours with people who's phone numbers they don't have?

Shivarage

Apr 9, 2010
Nothing would change for me really... I just watch internet videos and Devart isnt a social networking site

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Well, I'd be fine so long as they didn't ban Steam. Because if they did, that's about 60% of my gaming library down the drain.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Wow, just wow.

I don't have Twitter, never will.

I hardly use Myspace or Facebook, because obviously I make my plans with my cell phone!

I never even logged onto those sites while I'm on campus.

I would be just fine with that! They seriously need to calm the fuck down.

Mimssy

Dec 1, 2009
It's always so tragic to see people who depend on smartphones so they can keep up social media. There's something very pathetic about people who contain their lives in one phone. My thoughts are similar to those who depend on facebook to talk to those living near them (as opposed to keeping in touch with your 3rd cousin who lives across the country or a military spouse).

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Zeithri said:
I think this is a terrible idea.
This is basically just going back to alienating those who are shy.
Its banned in most schools anyway, and is banned in my college. It changes nothing, people find ways around it.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
I had same self imposed ban during my entire time at university.

Ashendarei

Feb 10, 2009
it's a good idea, at least as an experiment to show the students how much of their daily life gets sucked up in those abominations.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
mjc0961 said:
Good idea. Let's have the whole world follow suit, preferably permanently.

Or at the very least, get these fucking "facebook like" buttons off of every single web page.
My thoughts as well. Perhaps then we would not have every other business and website trying to beguile us into adding them on Facebook.

"No, Whole Foods, I do not want to make you a Facebook friend, you're a grocery store!!!"

People have become too reliant on social networking. The worst offenders treat Myspace/Facebook like water (laced with nicotine). And Twitter, I have no idea what the hell that's for.