University Experimentally Bans Facebook and Twitter

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Ha wow, because most college students don't have smart phones, or live off campus, or use other sources of internet... If its anything like my school you have about 25 different means of accessing internet. Where i sit i have signal from, Starbucks, krystal's, McD's, Zaxby's,Marriot,Einstein brothers bagels, university heights apartments, numerous open private networks, I can use my phone for wi fi. This seems like one of those stupid projects schools do, like freshmen studies classes, or similar BS.

Now students have to nap in class rather than use FB chat lol.

TheOrangeOne

Jul 11, 2010
Krion_Vark said:
I actually think this a great idea. I actually posed a question like this back freshman year in High School 5 years ago now. What would happen if all technology as we know it stopped working? Needless to say my entire class called me retarded and basically called me blackout kid for the rest of the semester.
When I was a freshman in high school we didn't have social networking sites!

...seriously though, we didn't.

I think it's a good idea, because it goes to show that it's harder for those who have used these sites from a young age to wane themselves off than those who were older when they were introduced. I was already in college when youtube/facebook/twitter were introduced, and therefore I can't say they've become an integral part of my routine :p Heck, the same is even true for texting. When I was in high school, we had to pass notes because texting was virtually non-existant in the form it is today. And I can't say that I or any of my friends text on a regular basis. I guess it really has a lot to do with what you have access to at any given age.

SelectivelyEvil13 said:
"No, Whole Foods, I do not want to make you a Facebook friend, you're a grocery store!!!"
That just made my entire week.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
I might chat with someone on facebook once a week or every 2 weeks. I'd hardly miss it really.

Now, The Escapist on the other hand...
*checks messages again*

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
I think I'm immune to influence from an outside source.
Didn't get addicted to wow.
Didn't get addicted to facebook.
Never had urge to smoke.
Never had urge to drink.
Never got influenced by my friends.

Kill me now. Before I terminate John Connor...
I'm a robot! :O

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
In other news, hundreds of Harrisburg University students committed suicide recently, most leaving a note saying "OH NOEZ, I CANTZ L1V3 W1T0UT MAH TWITTERZ".

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
So everyone just goes to an internet cafe across the street now? Way to fuck over your businesses, Pennsylvania.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Racecarlock said:
In other news, hundreds of Harrisburg University students committed suicide recently, most leaving a note saying "OH NOEZ, I CANTZ L1V3 W1T0UT MAH TWITTERZ".
I'm waiting for this to happen...

JayDub147

Jun 13, 2009
Looks like it's time to Tor it up.

I personally don't facebook or twitter, but I'm very much against any mandatory control over peoples' behavior.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I wish that my school did this. Then some people might actually stop laughing in the middle of the class due to some "fuuny" facebook status when I´m trying to study.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I wish we could black it out worldwide.

Theres a guy i work with who is CONSTANTLY on facebook. I'd be annoyed, if our advisor wasn't constantly on it as well.

Anti Nudist Cupcake said:
Never had urge to smoke.
Never had urge to drink.

Not possible. Robots are less boring.

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
Well, I never did like Facebook and Twitter (for admittedly very stupid reasons), so if my university ever did the same, my paper would probably say "Not much changed." I do use Instant Messaging, but all my IM friends are using it less and less because they have social lives outside of the internet. :B

Anti Nudist Cupcake said:
Never had urge to smoke.
Never had urge to drink.

SO AM I! What's your serial license number?!

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
I don't use either so as long as I get my daily dose of the escapist I'm all good...

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
what is Twitter even for?

I mean could you imagine twitter with out the internet?

some guy comes up to you on the street and says "I just ate tacos for lunch."

you'd think he was a god damn lunatic

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Android2137 said:
Well, I never did like Facebook and Twitter (for admittedly very stupid reasons), so if my university ever did the same, my paper would probably say "Not much changed." I do use Instant Messaging, but all my IM friends are using it less and less because they have social lives outside of the internet. :B
I use twitter and facebook a lot myself, but usually for little more than following celebrities and the very rare one off message to or from someone I know. E-mail and regular website visits would eliminate it completely. College was utterly miserable for me, though. My essay would probably read "I don't have any friends, you jerks!" This would be preceded and followed by weeping.

Apr 28, 2008
No twitter, facebook, or instant messaging? And this is an "experiment" and people feel odd about it?

Its how I live my damn life! Its how we all lived back in 2006. You know, in the before time.

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
I did a full media blackout over the summer, i ditched my computer and TV. Keeping my phone on solely in case of emergancies. It lasted a week Was really hard too =/ you start to wonder what you did before you had the internet.