University: No Online gaming!

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
if your on campus then its bloody right you dont have unlimited access to internet. theres probably thousands of students trying to use the internet at any given time, and the amount of bandwidth that online gaming takes up then it would mean loads of people wouldnt be able to use the internet. my uni does the same and they even warn people about it, despite it being obvious

HellRaid

Mar 19, 2009
cookyy2k said:
Yes, British university in hall internet connections are brutally moderated with draconian firewalls. At my old uni you could't pc game or torrent (legal torrents before I get a ban), the problem is the network admins they usually employ are well an truly in the games are bad mindset and you can't convince them of a positive reason for them to allow it. In a way it's understandable though, even if only 1 in 10 have an xbox it'd slaughter bandwidth when you have a uni with 12k students.
My university explicitly stated "no gaming or torrents" in the terms of use for its internet, but I have never in 5 years heard of anyone getting caught or punished for either - despite them saying they were monitoring the connections all the time. Perhaps they had the internet police on the case :p

Although I do recall one of my PC games not being able to connect to the Internet... but the rest were all fine though.

Hell, our computing building had a group of students in playing starcraft and warcraft 3 using the university's servers on a daily basis :p

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
My uni blocked majority of gaming traffic, so I just played singleplayer games, its there internet so there rules, its similar to most universities.

Some games you could get to work via the program settings on PC (alot of older games had various port, proxy settings and firewall type settings to let them go through, I believe steam also lets you change them? - I know it took me a good 30 minutes to finally get MSN working at uni halls due to this.)

Also, are you actually paying for your internet, or is it free with the accomidation. I know Derby uni lets people play games over the network, but it requires each room to pay extra for it (and a lil more for wireless). But you have to login to it inorder to connect... which would probably render consoles useless.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
If it's your internet, you have grounds for a legitimate complaint. If it isn't, you don't, and you need to get your own internet access if you want to play online. It's as simple as that.

Loner Jo Jo

Jul 22, 2011
jakko12345 said:
Don't know if it'll work for you, but i tricked my ISP at uni into thinking my Xbox was my laptop via changing the Xbox's alternate MAC address... Actually i'll just give you this

http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/faqs/103-how-to-connect-to-xbox-live-at-uni-or-college
This is what you have to do at my school in order to get online on consoles. I've never done it, but I've heard it can be a little tricky. Your best bet to either find somebody with a console on campus and see if they've figured out how to get online or become friends with one of the Tech guys and see if he'll help you out.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Irridium said:
J03bot said:
Given the increasing reliance on Steam for PC gaming, you're actually more fucked. So many games I couldn't activate, update, download, or play online due to Steam being blocked at my university (though I think they've since unblocked it). To play offline, you had to disconnect your computer from the internet, activate Steam, and wait for it to let you go into offline mode.
Somehow still managed to link consoles over the network as a giant LAN thing though. Much Halo 3 was played.
That... was kind of my point. All this online crap is pretty much just adding plenty more problems to the whole thing.

And I hate starting Steam in offline mode, because it never works for me.

When I tell it to start in offline mode when my connection is dead, it gives me this lovely error message:

"Steam cannot complete the requested function because Steam can't connect to the internet. Please connect to the internet and try again."

It's at this point I yell incoherently at my PC screen and cursing Steam for being so god damn stupid. And if it does work, which is rare, half my games get the "game is currently unavailable" option.

Oh boy, that sure is a fun time.
Steam's offline mode doesn't work if it thinks it has to update. But it can only know if it's up-to-date by using an internet connection to check.

I agree that it's really stupid, but...eh.

Lopsided Weener

Fresh Meat
Mar 16, 2010
I set up a server for myself at home to tunnel through. I read up on complaints like these and took the initiative to make sure I was prepared. ;) It's not all that hard to set up an SSH tunnel through something like Putty if you need to get around stuff on your PC. Also, anything the university blocks I just download to my server (which I control through my phone) and sftp it to my uni computer. Lots of solutions out there, don't know about if I'm breaking any rules or not, though just shut the hell up about it and don't draw attention and you'll be fine.

slackbheep

Sep 10, 2008
In the short term your best bet is just to get an alternate connection of some kind, while networking with the games design students and perhaps speaking with your professors to gauge their opinion on the whole deal. You could get some momentum going, and on the other hand if your instructors come back with " You don't need to know anything about games to study games journalism/design." You'll be able to start looking elsewhere for a transfer before it's too late, heh.

CountChopula

Jul 25, 2009
Well you could always be you know actually studying, I mean you are sitting there on the tax-payer's dime aren't you?

Furious Styles

Jul 10, 2010
lord.jeff said:
Truthfully I'm with the university you have hundreds of people using the internet for studies, now add on top of that the bandwidth hog that is online gaming and you'll see any network slow to a crawl. If you really want to play online get a satallite connection or something similiar like Clear and you could play on your own internet.
This sums up my view. Also, university is about, one, getting an education, and, two, expanding your horizons, i.e. making new friends, having new experiences etc. Staying inside and playing video games is not the best use of your time at university. For the amount you'll actually play it at uni, single player and offline play will do you just fine because you honestly won't need anything else.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Start a petition to show that you aren't the only person pissed off. If enough people complain, they might do something about it. If they don't, threaten to never re-enroll. That could cause them quite a lot of revenue loss, especially because it's harder to get new Sophomores etc than new Freshmen.

Irridium said:
You could just play single-player.

Because modern gaming is totally all about a good single-player experience, and doesn't put it on the back-burner for multiplayer or put out lots of DLC on day 1. Nope, not modern gaming!

Or you could try getting into PC gaming by upgrading whatever you have. Because like single-player gamers, PC gamers totally aren't fucked over most of the time these days! Nope, not at all!
Please marry my dorf.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
CountChopula said:
Well you could always be you know actually studying, I mean you are sitting there on the tax-payer's dime aren't you?
Don't you have university fees in the UK?

CountChopula

Jul 25, 2009
Bakan: Not exactly sure, but from what I was told by my girlfriend who went to University of Wales and her brother who went to Oxford, they only really needed money for basic living expenses, not really even lodging. Their parents gave them each about 300 euros a month or so when they were up there.... Comparatively, my bachelors cost me $79,000 in tuition, plus a good 5-10000 in costs for books, equipment, materials, and basic living, for that three and a half year period.

jakko12345

Dec 23, 2010
Loner Jo Jo said:
jakko12345 said:
Don't know if it'll work for you, but i tricked my ISP at uni into thinking my Xbox was my laptop via changing the Xbox's alternate MAC address... Actually i'll just give you this

http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/faqs/103-how-to-connect-to-xbox-live-at-uni-or-college
This is what you have to do at my school in order to get online on consoles. I've never done it, but I've heard it can be a little tricky. Your best bet to either find somebody with a console on campus and see if they've figured out how to get online or become friends with one of the Tech guys and see if he'll help you out.
I can assure you it's not difficult. I have minimal computer skills, and it took 5 minutes max using the guide i linked

Voodoo_Person

Dec 11, 2009
CountChopula said:
We have student loans that we have to pay back once we've finished university, so technically he will end up having to pay back all the costs

Johnmw

Mar 19, 2009
jakko12345 said:

I did this as well worked like a charm. My uni wasn't rude or anything, they just saw it as out of their power.

kwydjebo

Sep 1, 2010
Interesting thread.
To sum up, you're in Rez (at dorm, campus housing...whatever the kids call it these days) and the University provided internet is blocking your online connection for your console.

You've asked about this and they said "No go"
The university is of course well within its rights to offer as much, or as little access, for free, as they see fit.

Your options are (Based on what has been said here) and in the order I'd consider them (if I was in your shoes).

1) Purchase your own internet from an off campus ISP. Honestly I don't even know if this is an option, their might be rules about who's allowed to provide Internet service on campus and in student housing. But check into it. This option might cost you 10-30 bucks a month, but it might be the easiest. And you might be able to share the expense with others.

2) Appeal to those in charge. I think you spoke to a dude on the help desk, he's bottom of the ladder, he spewed policy as he knows it, at you and was looking to get back to his Cheetos.
As suggested round up some like minded folks and ask some consideration from someone who can actually make the change you want, or move your request up the ladder. If you are willing to pay a little extra for it that might help things along. Imagine offering 30 people willing to pay an extra 10 bucks a month so they can game, and all they really have to do is just allow some access.
Also what about whoever runs the place you're staying at for the University? Or the Student Union/government? You have a reasonable request, and (likely) others who also want it, and if you're even willing to pay a reasonable price for this additional service, and you're denied making your own alternatives, then the student union should be there for you!.
Or (if option 1 was a bust) ask if some accomodation can be reached for going to an outside provider (and if you have 20 or 30 people who are with you, perhaps one dorm can be wired with unrestricted internet you all pay into in order to do this)

3) Move off campus so you can have your own internet. Likely off campus houseing will cost way more than what you pay oncampus, no idea if this is feasible for you or not.

4) If all of the previous options are a bust, you have been offered some options (on this thread) to try and sneak your console online (Some more dubious than others). Of course if its just the MAC ID, have you tried using a router to hook your console up to?
Of course circumventing network security may not be something you want to risk (As I recall, University's can be pretty petty when you break their rules, because as a student walking away is pretty difficult).

Hope this helps some!
I would be very interested in finding out how this turns out for you!

Varitel

Jan 22, 2011
My University actually has separate networks in the residence halls specifically for online console gaming. You can always use your computer. Other than that, I have no idea. You could always try petitioning the IT department at the school. Petitions are very common at university.