Unplayable PS1 Game Debuts on PS Vita Store

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Unplayable PS1 Game Debuts on PS Vita Store

You can now purchase the PS1 game Buzz Lightyear of Star Command for your PlayStation Vita - but you can't play it.

It's been some time since we last had an update on Sony's ongoing efforts to make games for the original PlayStation compatible with the PS Vita hardware. Today, sharp-eyed gamers discovered that 2000's Buzz Lightyear of Star Command was up for sale on the European Vita Store for £3.99. However, while the game was available for purchase and download, any attempts to play it resulted in failure.

One NeoGAF user confirm this on Twitter [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37289821&postcount=17], responding to a query about PS1 compatibility by saying that Sony's engineers "are working hard on it," and asking for patience.

Obviously, this whole kerfuffle is the result of someone screwing up somewhere, though on the grand scheme of things it's a really minor error. We all know that PS1 compatibility will be coming to the Vita before too long - if only to give Square-Enix yet another platform to which it can port Final Fantasy VII without remaking it.

The real question, though, is this: With the PS1 library one of the most famously diverse and acclaimed in history, why the hell would you kick things off with Buzz Lightyear of Star Command?

(Eurogamer [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471712])

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
It's there, but I can't play it? That just makes me want it more. Quit being so withholding you Sony teases!

On another note: Welcome back to The Escapist, Mr. Funk.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
We all know that PS1 compatibility will be coming to the Vita before too long - if only to give Square-Enix yet another platform to which it can port Final Fantasy VII without remaking it.
PSN is the platform and it's already been ported to PSN. There will be no need to re-port it to the Vita, right? I mean if you bought it for the PS3/PSP, you should already own it for the Vita.

Also, Sony should have taken care of this BEFORE they released the Vita.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
The real question, though, is this: With the PS1 library one of the most famously diverse and acclaimed in history, why the hell would you kick things off with Buzz Lightyear of Star Command?
Because it was AWESOME, John. That's why.

[HEADING=3]TO INFINITY AND BEYOND![/HEADING]

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
The only things I plan on playing for the vita once I get it are P4: The Golden, and a large group of PS1 games, so I hope they get it working... also is it weird that I only want the vita to play games that were not originally for the vita?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Furioso said:
The only things I plan on playing for the vita once I get it are P4: The Golden, and a large group of PS1 games, so I hope they get it working... also is it weird that I only want the vita to play games that were not originally for the vita?
You should just get a PSP then.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
The PS Vita was a system I REALLY wanted to like. I even bought one early on. I got it home and fell in love with the hardware. The software though left me with a completely opposite feeling sadly. It has a very similar problem to the one the 3DS has in that Sony is just throwing games we've already played out for it and neglecting original content.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Xanthious said:
The PS Vita was a system I REALLY wanted to like. I even bought one early on. I got it home and fell in love with the hardware. The software though left me with a completely opposite feeling sadly. It has a very similar problem to the one the 3DS has in that Sony is just throwing games we've already played out for it and neglecting original content.
You and me both. The system itself is really good. It doesn't heat up that much or make a lot of noise and updates are way faster than the PS3. It's problems lie in the 2 useless touch screens. That's just the hardware however since the software is incredibly lackluster. It's best games are spin offs or just ports. I checked the Vita's library for original games and only 5 of it's games were original. Of those 5 3 were above 4 stars. One of those games is a cheap indie game and the other had it's entire dev staff laid off before release so I won't buy it out of principle. I'm just waiting for something now. Even them just updating their PSP library would be fine with me right now.

SideburnsPuppy

May 23, 2009
Fuck man, I remember this game. I could never beat the bad guys in the race at the start of each level, and I think the last one I made it to was the robot werewolf guy. The purple weapon was the best one.

Shit, it's all coming back in waves.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Palademon said:
Because it was AWESOME, John. That's why.

[HEADING=3]TO INFINITY AND BEYOND![/HEADING]
*throws up a little in mouth*

>_>

<__<

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
Me thinks an intern might have mistaken the dev store for the normal store. This one probably is up there because it's relatively high in the alphabet, and if they're posting them in alphabetical order (for store organizational purposes), this was probably just an accident.
Here's hoping that this is a sign of PSone capability being patched in soon.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
Who the hell was supposed to test that. I mean really, no one at Sony tried it on the Vita before letting it out? Or maybe they just wanted to test it by releasing a crap game like Buzz Lightyear. (Never played it, just calling it a crap games cause I've never had anyone tell me it was a must have for ps1.)

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
lol

is it bad my first thought was 'wow, there's a drunken purchase if i every saw one' >.> the game or the vita, ether or.
(fun fact: i was in fact drunk when i bought my PSP)