Unpopular gaming opinions

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
Gypsybob said:
WASD keys can fuck off. Arrow buttons all the way.
Holy Shit

Anyways for me... COD games are pretty damn good, for the most of the part, they are one of the most "quick fun to play" games right now. Yes I wont say they dont have frustrating moments, but those more than pay off by the sheer fun those game can get when they want. For the most of the part, all the hate they get are for eaither completly arbitriary reasons or for reasons than are beyond COD´S control ("13 yeards olds"... really? how the fuck is COD´s fault than its begin played by inmature people? Or any game by that matter... Seriously, get better reasons to hate a game, at least try)

Andd... I guess the fact that bioware games bore me to tears and see not much of a point in them count?

Oh yeah I also hate the whole motion based controls shit. Give me a joystick anyday before that crap.

I think the Dead Rising series deserves more praise than what its got. The timer is a nice addition IMO. That begin said, the bosses DO border on the cheap, I wont defende that one part- But somehow I dont want that to change, althougt its a bit cheap its what makes them so challenging and interesting.

While its true than Borderlands 2 is A LOT better than 1, I wont say it beats 1 in EVERY single way. Theres some stuff than the original did better.

riccyd

Sep 27, 2010
- Bad design choices aren't always glaringly obvious to Developers and they didn't put them in "UR GAEMZ 2 MAK U MAD".

- Fallout 3 is the best fps game(not a real genre just one example of camera placement with the hint of guns) ever, partially because it's not "just" an fps action game. On a similar note RPG elements can enhance most games although if they stop at power upgrades and character levels just leave them out.

- Mass effect 2 isn't a great game due to it's gameplay, it's pretty weak compared to mass effect 1. ME2's story more than makes up for it's diluted gameplay Though.

- Peter Molyneux isn't always wrong.

- Crash and Spyro are better Characters Than Mario and Link the latter just happen to be in far better games

- Resident Evil 6!

NKRevan

Apr 13, 2011
Hmmm...

- I liked the original ME3 endings better than the Extended cut ones. I enjoyed having the ability to make the ending in my mind, connecting the dots for myself and coming to my own conclusion much more than having everything spelled out.

- I think Minecraft is highly overrated

- I think people tend to overglorify Valve (I love Valve, but they are not as glorious as some make them out to be in my eyes)

- Thought Starcraft 2 was a plain as day cashgrab and a poor one at that.

Dunno how unpopular those are (except the first...I know the majority gets very heated at me for that XD).

kyoodle

Dec 4, 2009
I really have no idea which of my opinions might be unpopular. A lot of people are posting things that contradict one another, 'Torchlight >Diablo' and 'Diablo > Torchlight' have come up a lot. And exactly how many people need to be underwhelmed with Skyrim for that to stop being an unpopular opinion?

With that in mind erm..Metro 2033 was crap.

Olikar

Sep 4, 2012
Bhaalspawn said:
You clearly don't understand what open/closed platform means at all, Steam can't be closed platform because games are not ran on Steam simply through it(that is to say it is not a platform for developing games but simply publishing them). The difference is very important, compare iOS and Steam for example: to release a game for iPod you HAVE to put it through the app store (legally anyway) so apple gets a share of the money. This clearly shows iOS is a closed platform because it restricts who can develop for it, Steam does no such thing because games are not developed for Steam but for windows (or OSX and linux). So if someone wanted to release a game for windows they don't HAVE to use Steam. The most Valve could be accused of is monopolizing the market but even this is a rather dubious claim since there is no evidence of them aggressively pursuing games for exclusivity on Steam.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
- consoles are what's wrong / what causes the majority of the decline of quality of games in recent times (though it's mostly the fault of the developers going for the lowest common denominator instead of taking their time and developing a decent product for each platform)

- steam is one of the most terrible things that ever happened to gaming, occasional ok-ish deals nonwithstanding.

Judgment90

Sep 4, 2012
Oh, the friends I will not make for this:

Kingdom Hearts is a terrible series.
JRPGs are dying.
Online is what's killing gaming.
Capcom is worst than EA.
The Sonic series needs to die.
I thought Dragon Age 2 was good.
I have never played Psychonauts.
Halo is better than Call of Duty in terms of shooters.
Kinect is a stupid gimmick, just like 3D.

riccyd

Sep 27, 2010
Judgment90 said:

This one wasn't really an opinion if you don't mind me saying but if it was i'd have to agree, my copy is sat dormant on my desktop, soon I'll have the spare time to play games but i have so many games on the go. Will it ever get played?

cambamuniverse

Jan 2, 2012
Ahem.

-I've never really liked Valve's games, except Portal 2, and even then I enjoyed co-op more than anything else.
-I enjoy console controllers more than a mouse, it just feels better to me (and it seems more simplistic.
-Mass Effect was boring when I played the first 2 hours of the first game, never went back to it.
-Played about 15 hours of Persona 3 and then wanted to blow my head off.
-I actually really enjoy Peter Molyneux's ideas. He's someone I aspire to be like, because he always has a desire to push the envelope. I think if he had more time and money, he would have actually delivered on his promises, and even then, it isn't really his fault. If he thought the features would be in the game, he would talk about them. Oh well, at least we have 22Cans now, I'm excited for that.
-Back to Valve, Jesus, Half-Life 1 and 2 were terrible. I'm not even sure if I want to try the episodes. I'm not too excited for Ep. 3 if they continue in this fashion, so I'm kind of glad that GabeN is withholding it.
-People saying that games should be "difficult" tend to create the wrong impression for developers (in my opinion). PC gamers love to flaunt that games like Half-Life were difficult, as if that makes them tougher. Really, there's a certain balance of difficulty that you have to achieve. Before I turn this post into a novel, I'll just state briefly: if a game's sense of difficulty is that "you only learn how to proceed AFTER you die" (like, trial and error) then it makes your game really shitty. Half-Life 1 had many moments like this. Insta-death, bad controls, sure, that made for a hard game, but it's a bullshit kind of difficulty. Now, I'll go ahead and praise an indie title: Super Meat Boy is a game where it's all about mechanical mastery. You have to learn the mechanics and master the controls in order to win, so if you die, it's YOUR fault, not the game's. Just my opinion.

EDIT: Ooh! I also hate Final Fantasy VII, and Final Fantasy VIII. Hate them, absolutely. Overrated, in my opinion.

And, while on the topic, I don't like RTS or turn-based RPGs at all.

Olikar

Sep 4, 2012
CamBamUniverse said:
I'll just state briefly: if a game's sense of difficulty is that "you only learn how to proceed AFTER you die" (like, trial and error) then it makes your game really shitty. Half-Life 1 had many moments like this.

I can't think of single moment in Half-life 1 where it suffers from 'trial and error', and only a few in Half life 2.

Kicksauce

Sep 4, 2012
- LoL is the kiddie version of HoN
- Half-life 2 is over-rated, due to that it has aged terribly, newer games do what it did only better
- Portal is far from a perfect game, not to say it isn't good
- Dark Souls was hard in the wrong way
- Ninja Gaiden was better than SMB3
- SMB3 is a worse version of Snes Mario World
- FFX is possibly one of the most terrible games I've ever played

Oh, and this one
- I don't give a **** about CoD. If people want to pay for the same game every year I day let them, I'll just stick to games I enjoy

cambamuniverse

Jan 2, 2012
Olikar said:
CamBamUniverse said:
I'll just state briefly: if a game's sense of difficulty is that "you only learn how to proceed AFTER you die" (like, trial and error) then it makes your game really shitty. Half-Life 1 had many moments like this.

I can't think of single moment in Half-life 1 where it suffers from 'trial and error', and only a few in Half life 2.
I will have to replay it, because I don't have a lot of examples, but that's what I remember from playing it.

Like, right at the beginning of the game where you have to crawl through a hole in the wall, and if you aren't all the way to the right, you die in one hit. Honestly, I've even seen speedrunners die from this. Why do I have to die in order to know that I have to be on the right side of the wall?

Other areas just kind of throw you into deadly situations. Rounding a corner causes you to be anally raped and before you have time to react, you die. So you have to reload, and now that you know what's going on, you can try to proceed.

I get that I'm supposed to react, but I remember dying from things that I didn't even understand, forcing me to reload and try again.

The moment when you cross the bridge on the mountain. Some of the wood on the bridge is loose, and if it falls, you fall to your death. You have NO IDEA which ones will fall, and just guessing is "trial" in itself.

Also, my issue with Half Life 2 was that it was monotonous, outdated, and badly designed. I didn't really find it difficult, so that one is off the hook for trial and error :p

Olikar

Sep 4, 2012
CamBamUniverse said:
Like, right at the beginning of the game where you have to crawl through a hole in the wall, and if you aren't all the way to the right, you die in one hit. Honestly, I've even seen speedrunners die from this. Why do I have to die in order to know that I have to be on the right side of the wall?
I don't remember which bit you're talking about sorry.

Other areas just kind of throw you into deadly situations. Rounding a corner causes you to be anally raped and before you have time to react, you die. So you have to reload, and now that you know what's going on, you can try to proceed.
That's why you check around corners properly, it's hardly trial and error.

The moment when you cross the bridge on the mountain. Some of the wood on the bridge is loose, and if it falls, you fall to your death. You have NO IDEA which ones will fall, and just guessing is "trial" in itself.
If I recall correctly you can walk right around that bridge.

Judgment90

Sep 4, 2012
riccyd said:
Judgment90 said:

This one wasn't really an opinion if you don't mind me saying but if it was i'd have to agree, my copy is sat dormant on my desktop, soon I'll have the spare time to play games but i have so many games on the go. Will it ever get played?
Yeah, I kinda worded that wrong. But after watching gameplay footage of it, I thought it looked rather stupid (this was when I was still a teenager and kinda pessimistic). Psychonauts just looks like the type of game that if I played it, I would've hated it. I should have been a bit more detailed.

Dosbilliam

Feb 18, 2011
Country
US
BanicRhys said:
That EA would do a better job with Pokemon than Nintendo/Game Freak is doing.

And not because I don't like the new Pokemon or I think the games are getting stale.
Now THIS requires explanation.

riccyd

Sep 27, 2010
Judgment90 said:
riccyd said:
Judgment90 said:

Yeah, I kinda worded that wrong. But after watching gameplay footage of it, I thought it looked rather stupid (this was when I was still a teenager and kinda pessimistic). Psychonauts just looks like the type of game that if I played it, I would've hated it. I should have been a bit more detailed.
Yeah easy mistake i seem to either make a spelling error or word a post wrong regularly, My reason for not playing it isn't so clear cut I'm not too fussed about art style i just can't find the energy or time to get started and ultimately complete it really.