Unreal Engine 4 Gets a New Sizzle Reel for GDC 2016

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
630
0
0
Unreal Engine 4 Gets a New Sizzle Reel for GDC 2016


Nothing like a good tech demo sizzle reel for the Unreal Engine 4 to get the blood flowing for GDC 2016. So developer Epic Games obliges.

The Game Developers Conference 2016 kicks off today in San Francisco, and what better way to get the ball rolling on the cool tech available than a new demo showing off Unreal Engine 4.

Developer Epic Games dropped the demo with cuts from the various games using the free engine [https://www.unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4]. Of course, free is relative, since putting out a game will require royalties to be paid to Epic to the tune of 5% after the first $3,000 per product every quarter, unless it is a film project or contracting and consulting project for architecture, Simulation and visualization.

Among the games spotlighted include Paragon, Kingdom Hearts III, Gears of War 4, Blade 2, Chronos, Assassin's Creed Chronicles, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Mighty No. 9, Eve: Valkyrie, Blades of Three Kingdoms and more. The three and a half minute demo is gorgeous and definitely worth a watch.

Of course, if you want some stills, then check out the gallery below.

[gallery=5973]

Permalink
 

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
3,552
7
43
Country
USA
Are we really supposed to believe that Cloud can swing that sword around with those noodle arms?
 

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
832
294
68
Country
Sverige
FFVII remake is made in Unreal?

I thought the reason FFXIII was so delayed was that they spent a lot of time and money on making their own engine; yet now that engine isn't even being used? That's a bit sad.
 

LazyAza

New member
May 28, 2008
716
0
0
Bedinsis said:
FFVII remake is made in Unreal?

I thought the reason FFXIII was so delayed was that they spent a lot of time and money on making their own engine; yet now that engine isn't even being used? That's a bit sad.
Not the case at all, it was "so delayed" because it was never started. People kept assuming they were making it and they were not, at all and the reason was because it would be too large and too costly, and apparently still is for Square as they aren't making it.

The only reason it exists is because Square was able to find a team willing to produce it (guys who did Asura's Wrath and those popular naruto games I believe) and even so, it is episodic and their will be significant amounts of time between each part of its release. The fans greatly underestimate how much raw production work has to go in to the remake, which is why so many screaming for it for so long was quite irritating for square I would think.
 

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
2,821
0
0
LazyAza said:
Bedinsis said:
FFVII remake is made in Unreal?

I thought the reason FFXIII was so delayed was that they spent a lot of time and money on making their own engine; yet now that engine isn't even being used? That's a bit sad.
Not the case at all, it was "so delayed" because it was never started. People kept assuming they were making it and they were not, at all and the reason was because it would be too large and too costly, and apparently still is for Square as they aren't making it.

The only reason it exists is because Square was able to find a team willing to produce it (guys who did Asura's Wrath and those popular naruto games I believe) and even so, it is episodic and their will be significant amounts of time between each part of its release. The fans greatly underestimate how much raw production work has to go in to the remake, which is why so many screaming for it for so long was quite irritating for square I would think.
I think he's wondering why they're using the Unreal 4 engine for the remake rather than the engine that was developed in house for the more recent games in the series. The delayed game he's referring to is FF13, not the FF7 remake.

EDIT: I think FF15 was delayed significantly as well for engine reasons. I think that's been in development for almost a decade now.
 

moosemaimer

New member
Apr 14, 2011
117
0
0
Man, I want to learn UE just so I can do photogrammetry. Just head out, take pictures of stuff, and turn them into assets.

 

Cowabungaa

New member
Feb 10, 2008
10,806
0
0
moosemaimer said:
Man, I want to learn UE just so I can do photogrammetry. Just head out, take pictures of stuff, and turn them into assets.

Damn, and that stuff isn't just a texture? Or is that example like one big 3D model? Or can you actually pick up one of those rocks and have it as an individual asset?
 

Arnoxthe1

New member
Dec 25, 2010
3,374
0
0
Hehehe... Unreal Tourney 4. They couldn't resist putting that game in there.

Although, seriously, have you seen this?

http://i.imgur.com/3htVmVE.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/xttJyAH.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/sRS9u3P.jpg
 

moosemaimer

New member
Apr 14, 2011
117
0
0
Cowabungaa said:
Damn, and that stuff isn't just a texture? Or is that example like one big 3D model? Or can you actually pick up one of those rocks and have it as an individual asset?
There's a pretty good explanation of it here. [http://www.theastronauts.com/2014/03/visual-revolution-vanishing-ethan-carter/]