Unreal Engine 5 Revealed with New Real-time Demo on PS5

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Pretty impressive. Makes me think of the real-time demo from last gen, and how that was eventually surpassed by quite a few games that followed.

This is just a YouTube video, but aside from what looks like significant visual enhancements to look forward to, I really liked the animation quality at play here. Hopefully that will lead to more accurate and dynamic traversal systems as well.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Look like PC level gameplay, but I'm hoping they keep their promise about the loading times.
Microsoft's reveal was really kind of limp, so I'm excited to see what PS5 does because they don't seem super eager to blow their wad early, it's like Sony is just waiting and watching to capitalize on Microsoft's mistakes.

I'm betting that when Sony comes out with the big show, they are going to smash everybody in the face with games, games, games, with actual gameplay.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
More gameplay in a tech demo than in most gameplay trailers these days huh -.-

Looked great, very impressive etc. etc. etc. but unfortunately, my takeaway from this is that Epic really took the apparent necessity for good voice acting in it hilariously seriously.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Looks good, but keep in mind, photorealism is always the one to look dated after 1-3 years. We've seen this in the 360/PS3 era where nearly everyone was copying Gears with dark gunmetal grey, or dog shit brown (thank Christ those days are behind us). The bright and colorful games age better than the tech demos that don' add much. Sony and Microsoft did not learn their lesson with The Order: 1886, Quantum Break, or Ryse.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Looks impressive and all, but none of this is actually going to impress me till I see some actual games built for the system. That last bit with the flying has my interest peaked though; If all that talk of superfast loading is true it might result in different and faster forms of traversal in games.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
lol

Yeah and?

Unreal is a games engine, mobile phone games use Unreal Engine. Just because a device can run an engine doesn't mean it can handle the full power of the engine.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
As a 3D artist in games myself, all I care about is never having to do lightmaps and LODs ever again. I was betting on Raytracing getting rid of lightmaps once and for all, but it seems UE5 might be doing it without RT tech? Rather it's using SSDs or some dong. Unsure on the technicals, but so far I like the idea of Lumen.

I'm apprehensive about the whole no limits to polygons with regards to my work. Part of why I can do what I do is because of... polygon count limits. There's also a lot of cheats involved utilizing normal maps and baking, which allows you to do all sorts of things without having to actually model stuff out. Does that mean a huge chunk of my knowledge and experiences are going to become obsolete as games modeling workflows start to change into film modeling workflows? Also what does this mean for game budgets?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
As a 3D artist in games myself, all I care about is never having to do lightmaps and LODs ever again. I was betting on Raytracing getting rid of lightmaps once and for all, but it seems UE5 might be doing it without RT tech? Rather it's using SSDs or some dong. Unsure on the technicals, but so far I like the idea of Lumen.

I'm apprehensive about the whole no limits to polygons with regards to my work. Part of why I can do what I do is because of... polygon count limits. There's also a lot of cheats involved utilizing normal maps and baking, which allows you to do all sorts of things without having to actually model stuff out. Does that mean a huge chunk of my knowledge and experiences are going to become obsolete as games modeling workflows start to change into film modeling workflows? Also what does this mean for game budgets?
I would imagine that as engine tech develops, it would serve to make your job flow smoother and be easier overall to do with the intention of allowing a single artist to get more of a project done in less time thus reducing overall game budget requirements. right?

As the tech to create gets better and easier to use, wouldn't it naturally yield to a smoother workflow and allow the same amount of work to get done in a reasonable timeframe with fewer artists? Or the same number of artists being able to finish a project much faster than before allowing for more games to be created in a managable timeframe and budget?

I don't know, but one thing I would like to see from these engine upgrades is more "ease of creation" so that big AAA-games no longer need to push work hours to the limits in order to get the work done, when it becomes so smooth and easy to get done within normal working means.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I would imagine that as engine tech develops, it would serve to make your job flow smoother and be easier overall to do with the intention of allowing a single artist to get more of a project done in less time thus reducing overall game budget requirements. right?

As the tech to create gets better and easier to use, wouldn't it naturally yield to a smoother workflow and allow the same amount of work to get done in a reasonable timeframe with fewer artists? Or the same number of artists being able to finish a project much faster than before allowing for more games to be created in a managable timeframe and budget?

I don't know, but one thing I would like to see from these engine upgrades is more "ease of creation" so that big AAA-games no longer need to push work hours to the limits in order to get the work done, when it becomes so smooth and easy to get done within normal working means.

They will just make games that much bigger to fill in the time/budget save, kinda like they already have from 7th gen where everything was mostly linear and scripted to now where nearly every game is a big open world.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
They will just make games that much bigger to fill in the time/budget save, kinda like they already have from 7th gen where everything was mostly linear and scripted to now where nearly every game is a big open world.
I dont think that's true. Big open world games are just Ubisoft and Rockstar for the most part. Hell name me one big AAA-open world game to come out in the last six months.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake isn't open world.
RE3 isn't
Doom Eternal isn't
Animal Crossing isn't
Monster hunter Iceborne isn't
Death's Stranding......maybe?

Near future releases?
Ghosts of Sushi....i think is?
The Last of Us 2 wont be.
Cyberpunk 2077 will.

There are always a couple of open world games every year from big budget companies, but to say every game is open world just isn't even close to being true.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I dont think that's true. Big open world games are just Ubisoft and Rockstar for the most part. Hell name me one big AAA-open world game to come out in the last six months.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake isn't open world.
RE3 isn't
Doom Eternal isn't
Animal Crossing isn't
Monster hunter Iceborne isn't
Death's Stranding......maybe?

Near future releases?
Ghosts of Sushi....i think is?
The Last of Us 2 wont be.
Cyberpunk 2077 will.

There are always a couple of open world games every year from big budget companies, but to say every game is open world just isn't even close to being true.

Well of course I was being sarcastic, like the linear/scripted comment before it. But I think it is definitely true that the more you can do, the more you will do, especially for creative endeavors like making videogames.

Hell, the PS4 has been widely regarded to be boatloads easier to develop for than PS3 was even for Sony’s first party wizards, but has that shortened the development time needed for practically anything this gen? An emphatic “No” would be a reasonable response. It even seems like there have been more delays this gen compared to last.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia

As I already mentioned, not having to do LODs and lightmaps does ease on production.

It depends on the game I suppose. For realistic stuff, the lack of any polygon limits does make photogrammetry a much more attractive option. Especially since the megascan library is free for use for UE games. Instead of going through the usual painstaking way of retopologizing and optimizing it for game use, they can be used as is almost.

If it's a more stylized game that wants more bespoke assets, well here I am stuck with a higher bar really. No two ways about it. I suppose we can give less a shit about optimizing assets and thus save time that way?

There are ways these tech improvements can make life easier, and also worse.

I also tend to have a more bleak and negative outlook on things, so until the engine rolls out and actively affects my work, I won't know for sure.

That said, I would hardly trust big companies to have our best interests at heart. If a company is already used to treating its workers like trash, better tech will hardly lead to them treating people better. They will just make people do more to increase profit margin, or just axe people to do the same amount of work with less people to increase profit margin.