Unskippable: Alpha Protocol

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
A good effort, but a bad target: Alpha Protocol, despite its flaws, is just awesome enough to transcend the jibes against it. I found myself trying to hear what the characters were saying more than our surly commentators. Similar experience in MST3K if they picked a movie that was too good.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Pretty funny as usual. Although one thing has really been bugging me about this series... Why is the intro and outro volume so loud compared to the actual content? I always have to crank my speakers down at the start, turn them back up to actually hear the video, then crank them back down at the end so I don't go deaf waiting for the end comment.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Alfador_VII said:
Yeah that really isn't a good idea, trust me. I've woken up in hospital more than once. Also they kind of hurt and tend to bleed when they're taken out, even carefully ;)
Also remember it's pretty common for people coming out of sedation to try to tear them out because its bothering them and they aren't awake enough to realize what it's there for.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
LOL I love the reference to the "The Moon is always bigger in Japan" thing ya'll did back in Dirge of Cerberus video. And thats a good question about the IV at the end. Someone should work that into a movie. Have a guy stand up, pull out the IV, and then just kind of double over, hehe.

Dabchan

Jun 10, 2009
The story is pretty fun to play with...it's just that it's really frustrating to directly aim a pistol at a unsespecting guard, and literally the bullet dodges him if your skill with the pistol isn't enough!

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
"I'm pretty sure you were trying to complement him but you still sounded like a douche."[footnote]Paraphrasing :D[/footnote]

This guy needs to learn how to talk to his boss. Also he needs to look up sarcastic in the dictionary.

Nice episode guys! I loved the missile jokes :)

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Ascarus said:
ColdStorage said:
OK this is strange but I now want to play Alpha Protocol, I have a suspicion that the rest of the game will be accidentally funny, even without Graham and Paul.
i found the game worth playing. yes, it has some issues that range from the unforgivable in this day and age (e.g. some baffling control elements) to the bizarre (e.g. the quirky conversation mechanic), but none of the issues are truly game breaking. i enjoyed it enough that i recommend it to others provided they understand it's not perfect.
I might rent it out this weekend then.

I know that one of the devs working on Alpha Protocol stated he thought it was crap, which has been regurgitated by the internet ad verbatim, but I think it was more of a disgruntled dev then anything else.

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
Sampsa said:
Haha, at point 02:03 where the TV's broadcasting the news are turned off I was like: "G-Man, what the hell?"
Hahaha, thats exactly what I thought. But then they showed his face and it wrecked the awesomeness :D

proghead

Apr 17, 2010
Hate to say it, but Mr. Stark is the more funnierest. Always.

Yes, i do realize that this wasn't funny. At all.

Ixal

Mar 19, 2008
Dabchan said:
The story is pretty fun to play with...it's just that it's really frustrating to directly aim a pistol at a unsespecting guard, and literally the bullet dodges him if your skill with the pistol isn't enough!
I really hate it when people bring up this completely false argument to make the game look bad.

When you are close enough you can aim for perfect headshots. If you are further away, have a inaccurate pistol and your skills are not very high you accuracy simply isn't 100%. That like complaining you can't line up perfect headshots with an AK47 in counterstrike.

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
GrahamS said:
Watch in awe as a prick tries to be a spy, who is also a prick.
You're right, Graham. Simply by looking at that preview pic alone, you can tell that Thorton's a prick.

And why can't Alpha Protocol have a BIG TV instead of a bunch of small ones with so few colors?

GAYBOX!!!
(Sorry, I couldn't resist there...)

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
Hilarious as always! I love the one page dossier joke, I'm going to use that if I ever hire someone for a job...

Hey "Mark", I've been reading your dossier over and over. It's only one page but I'm a slow reader. Want the job?

He'd probably think I was weird...

meshuggeneh

Jul 10, 2010
When it comes to labeling the sarcasm option, I keep thinking of the Princess Bride:

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Yes! I've always thought it's weird when people in movies yank IVs out of their arm after waking up. I'm gonna check if TV Tropes has that...

ziggy161

Aug 29, 2008
Loonerinoes said:
The suave option always struck me as a double-edged sword. If the context for using it is right (like a private conversation with someone else in your room) it can earn you big favour points. But if the context for using it is wrong (like trying to impress your boss) then it bombs spectacularly. :D
Why does that remind me of the scenrio where Peter Griffin is at a job interview and the boss asks him 'Where do you see yourself in 5 years?' and Peter's thinking *Don't say doin your wife--* and he comes out with 'Doing your....son?'

XD

Astalano

Nov 24, 2009
Can you guys do an unskippable with two Starcraft 2 cinematics pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

The one with Valarian and the one rescuing Warfield. :p