Unskippable: Ar Tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
I am enjoying this game right now (about 15 hours in).

Is it silly and all? Sure, but it is fun and what I want for my JRPG fix.

Hashbrick

Mar 20, 2009
Ar Tonelico (R Toe-nelico) was a great series until this PS3 game came out. Don't get me wrong I played it and still enjoyed it for the most part but there was parts when I was annoyed to fuck defiantly not my favorite and the battle system was pretty god damn weak compared to the awesome battle systems of 1 & 2. The series is known for it's epic storylines and the Cosmosphere where you dig into the minds/feelings of the ladies you journey with.

JRPGs are always out there maybe that's why I enjoy them, they are not from this world. You know the team got together shot some LSD and went to town.

Some history of how they came up with the name:

'Qoga' means "finale" or 'termination.'
'Knell' is like a chime that signals the passing of someone or something.
'Ar Ciel' is a name of a world.
'Ar Tonelico' is an artificial world tree (Yggdrasill).

We wanted to use 'Knell' to indicate that this is the finale of the series because 'chime the signals the passing of something' is [the] perfect way of expressing the finale of [the] Ar Tonelico series."

So yes it really does translate to something but to most of us it looks like they pulled words out of a hat.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Aiden Raine said:
DracoSuave said:
SpaceMedarotterX said:
Oh I know it's spoilers but who the hell cares?
Your explanation didn't make it LESS wtf. It only replaced the immediate WTF with deeper WTF.
it's entirely in context, however. the entire story encompasses 3 whole games, with many materials which go into the history of the world. everything is entirely explained, but not within the first 5 minutes of game number 3 of 3. if you really have no interest in it, then it's best to just turn your head and walk away.
I just wanted to see if the context itself was wtf. It was. I was satisfied.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
SpaceMedarotterX said:
See everything in the world of Ar Tonelico is essentially powered by Hymmnos an elaborate created language for the game. Mute sings EXEC_CUTYPUMP/. a Hymmnos created by her father that allows her to gain a more super powered physique. Because when you want to fight to avenge your father who was killed in AT2, you so want to have the body of a little girl.
Okay couple things: 1) That doesn't make it any less confusing/weird, especially when its one of the first thing we see in the very beginning of the game. 2) Women can have a powerful physique and still look like women. I think the fact that her father created a spell to change his daughter into an ugly musclebound man just makes it all the more disturbing.

NightmareWarden

Jul 2, 2011
Annnnnnd the winner for Worst-Title-Ever-For-ANYTHING Goes to...
Seriously, how the heck do you say that? Has anyone here even heard of that game before this?
Edit: I looked at the posts above me and apparently several people have heard of this....game.

lamfaux

Nov 18, 2009
Could you guys make "I'm most productive when I'm sleeping." a T-shirt please? You'd only need to print one for me. If you want other "normal", "Not me", type people wearing them too, that's fine.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
Aiden Raine said:
Dooly95 said:
Scarim Coral said:
I can't stop laughing at the whole big bed deal (yes it's huge and I would envy him for having a large bed). Also what's up with the actings? Sound like they are over dramatize or over doing it.
Sounds like you've never seen a voiced JRPG before! Let me help you out by saying

This is the rule of all voiced JRPG games.

There are exceptions. Persona4 is the only one that comes to mind at the moment.
there're a lot of JRPGs that don't have bad voiceovers. unfortunately, NIS America does not do good dubs.

I also love how everybody's talking shit about the game because this cutscene makes no sense. of course it doesn't make any sense. it's the first 5 minutes of a very story heavy 40-60 hour game. (edit) and it's the 3rd game of the series, no less.

*facepalm*
No, that's just bad storytelling. Even in the third game in the series, you'd still want to catch people up to speed, not just alienate them right off the bat.

OT: During this video.

Aiden Raine

Oct 3, 2011
Taunta said:
Aiden Raine said:
Dooly95 said:
Scarim Coral said:
I can't stop laughing at the whole big bed deal (yes it's huge and I would envy him for having a large bed). Also what's up with the actings? Sound like they are over dramatize or over doing it.
Sounds like you've never seen a voiced JRPG before! Let me help you out by saying

There are exceptions. Persona4 is the only one that comes to mind at the moment.
there're a lot of JRPGs that don't have bad voiceovers. unfortunately, NIS America does not do good dubs.

I also love how everybody's talking shit about the game because this cutscene makes no sense. of course it doesn't make any sense. it's the first 5 minutes of a very story heavy 40-60 hour game. (edit) and it's the 3rd game of the series, no less.

*facepalm*
No, that's just bad storytelling. Even in the third game in the series, you'd still want to catch people up to speed, not just alienate them right off the bat.
what the hell do you expect, a "previously on Ar Tonelico" video, or something? and how do you expect them to just fill you in on everything within the world in 5 minutes? I honestly don't see how this alienates anybody. even if you haven't played the first 2 games, this game is fairly standalone, and fills you in on the basics of everything that happened in the previous two.. just not within the first 5 minute intro cutscene.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
Aiden Raine said:
Taunta said:
Aiden Raine said:
Dooly95 said:
Scarim Coral said:

*facepalm*
what the hell do you expect, a "previously on Ar Tonelico" video, or something? and how do you expect them to just fill you in on everything within the world in 5 minutes? I honestly don't see how this alienates anybody. even if you haven't played the first 2 games, this game is fairly standalone, and fills you in on the basics of everything that happened in the previous two.. just not within the first 5 minute intro cutscene.
No, obviously not, that's too obtuse, but plenty of books manage to do it mid-series.

It alienates people because it assumes that you've played the entire series and just picks up and moves forwards. I'm pretty sure almost every other word in this cutscene I didn't understand at all.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
wait, "knell" is a word! but still hahaha :p wtf title
lyrics like "baby baby baby" also possess great might these days...

good grief, I could voice every character in this game lol!
well, might need at least one girl to help

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
Weren't you trying to get hold of this for a while? Also to be fair a Steeplejack is a real thing, so there was at least one word that makes sense.

bismarck55

Mar 1, 2010
Actually "knell" is a word.

As in: this game's name sounded the death knell for my interest in this game. ^_^

knell (nl)
v. knelled, knell·ing, knells
v.intr.
1. To ring slowly and solemnly, especially for a funeral; toll.
2. To give forth a mournful or ominous sound.
v.tr.
To signal, summon, or proclaim by tolling.
n.
1. The sound of a bell knelling; a toll.
2. A signal of disaster or destruction.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
DanHibiki said:
I would actuality hold my judgement on the second "girl". I mean it's wearing a metal chest plate, there could be anything under that.
mayhaps evil porpoises