Unskippable: Dante's Inferno

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
*shudder*

i can see why asked for my birthday.

also, fuck, its ungodly easy to get around the age-whatever, i mean christ my birthday is on my profile, if you dont want certain people seeing it just their profile page status.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
cementino said:
No polemic intent whatsoever, just out of curiosity: for non-italian people, is it absolutely clear that this game, apart from a few names of characters and settings, has nothing to do with the Inferno in the (Divine) Comedy?
It is to anyone who's read a translation of the Inferno. (First read the Longfellow translation of the Inferno because of the game. The other game. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnsWceYWNpQ] I've since read the Ciardi translation of the entire Comedy. I know some people complain about his sometimes sizable poetic liberties, but I'm here to read a poem. I think it's okay.) I suppose most people who've been on a forum or thread for the game have heard the complaints by everyone else.

I'm kind of nonstandard, though. (Looks at assorted Wiki edits to point out Divine Comedy references in Umineko no naku koro ni.)

cementino said:
(I say for non-italians because we study the Divine Comedy actually 3 times on average between the age of 11 and 19, but I don't know if it's a compulsory study in other countries)
It's not. Us English-speakers have Shakespeare instead. More's the pity, I think. I much preferred The Divine Comedy. Except for parts of Paradiso, though. Man, that was a slog.

cementino

Oct 29, 2009
Formica Archonis said:
It's not. Us English-speakers have Shakespeare instead. More's the pity, I think. I much preferred The Divine Comedy. Except for parts of Paradiso, though. Man, that was a slog.
It was indeed. The Inferno is actually funny at times, and Purgatorio at least has some interesting political content.
Anyway, thanks for the answer. Mine was not a complaint on the content of the game, I mean, we could spend aeons on the same topic about Troy and similar movies (like Clash of the Titans, which I haven't seen yet but based on the trailers it seems the mythos isn't really the focus) really I was just curious.
My condolences for the Shakespeare issue :)

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
GrahamS said:
Dante's Inferno

Take a trip to hell, in style.

Be sure to join the Unskippable Facebook Fan Page here [http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Unskippable/61588542316].

Watch Video
OH NO! Russel's sister is dead! (at 2.53)

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
cementino said:
Formica Archonis said:
It was indeed. The Inferno is actually funny at times, and Purgatorio at least has some interesting political content.
Yep. Paradiso at least had the amusing nature of the Ptolemaic system, but it doesn't have the punch of the other two canticles. (I don't even recall as much sharp criticism of the Church after the allegorical parade in the Earthly Paradise.) Some of the characters were interesting, but it really comes down to the idea that punishment and redemption are far more interesting than meeting the redeemed and perfect. Stories only stay short times with the heroes relaxing in paradise (either at the start or at the end) for a reason.

I gather Milton's Paradise Regained - never read it - has the same problem. Asimov once said it was because dystopia and utopia are only entertaining if tainted. A pure dystopia or utopia is one-note. Dante, Virgil, and some of the more sympathetic sinners serve to 'taint' Dante's Hell, as Lucifer taints Milton's. But each author had to depict a Heaven with a perfect and unchanging God, where evil was a literal impossibility. Kinda boring.

As much as I hate to say it the Comedy really takes a hit with the introduction of Beatrice. Not only do we leave Virgil behind so soon after his beautiful scene in front of the wall of fire, but Beatrice's almost hostile introduction doesn't help her case much. I understand its logic in the greater context of the story, but first impressions are a big thing and it's kind of hard to align Dante and Virgil's praise of her up to this point with the real thing.

cementino said:
Anyway, thanks for the answer.
No worries. Just keep in mind I'm merely one Canadian. Big world out there.

cementino said:
Mine was not a complaint on the content of the game, I mean, we could spend aeons on the same topic about Troy and similar movies (like Clash of the Titans, which I haven't seen yet but based on the trailers it seems the mythos isn't really the focus) really I was just curious.
One could say the same about the Pearl Harbor movie, or countless other things. Nicholas Gurewitch said (drew?) it best. [http://pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF209-Now_Showing.jpg]

cementino said:
My condolences for the Shakespeare issue :)
:) Didn't kill me. And besides, gave me some good ammo for watching Jeopardy! :) Though one wonders if one merely dislikes something because one was forced to read it in school! After all, the books we read as we please and don't write reports over have to be more entertaining than schoolbooks. Easiest exam I ever wrote was about a poem we weren't supposed to have seen before. By coincidence, I'd already read it, liked it, and thought of it quite a bit. Not hard to write pages and pages about something you liked!

OZITOMAI

Jul 8, 2009
pretty funny you couldve said something about the dead crow you know how your crow joke character couldve used it on that one

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
J-Alfred said:
Pseudonym2 said:
The only thing the developers took from the poem is the sexism. Why are there prostitutes in the lust circle? It's not like women had a lot of job opportunities back then.
That's the only thing they took from the poem? Oh sure, except for Virgil, Pontious Pilate, Cleopatra, Mark Antony, Cerebus as a "great worm", Charon, the nine circles, and King Minos. I'd list more, but I've only gotten as far as Greed.

Anyways, I'm not trying to say that this game is really an accurate adaptation of The Inferno, but they tried. And it is pretty awesome to kill the rulers of Hell.
I misworded that. I meant to say that the game only took the worst a shallowest parts of the poem such as the sexism.

James Hueick

Feb 8, 2010
Awesome episode guys. When you see the crow's corpse I was totally expecting "Oh my god they killed Russel"! "You bastards"!

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
Why did the escapist ask for my birth date when they never have before? I mean I'm old enough and all, but what about this cutscene was so much worse than say the Prototype cutscene?

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
Pseudonym2 said:
J-Alfred said:
Pseudonym2 said:
The only thing the developers took from the poem is the sexism. Why are there prostitutes in the lust circle? It's not like women had a lot of job opportunities back then.
That's the only thing they took from the poem? Oh sure, except for Virgil, Pontious Pilate, Cleopatra, Mark Antony, Cerebus as a "great worm", Charon, the nine circles, and King Minos. I'd list more, but I've only gotten as far as Greed.

Anyways, I'm not trying to say that this game is really an accurate adaptation of The Inferno, but they tried. And it is pretty awesome to kill the rulers of Hell.
I misworded that. I meant to say that the game only took the worst a shallowest parts of the poem such as the sexism.
Ah. My bad, then.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
lesterley said:
Apparently I'm the only woman who watches "Unskippable", because all of you are so distracted by the boobage that you failed to notice the typo at the very end of the video.

It's supposed to be REPRESENTATIONS, not "reprisentations".

Silly boys...
Leslee
OMG a girl on the forums i'm so distracted that i don't notice you spelled your name wrong Leslie...jk

Anyways I think that unskippable should only do cinematics with sub par games. I would have liked the intro had they not thrown the random comic style art in there. It makes it seem like an interesting story from the intro even though I know it would be shitty once I started playing it. This wouldn't be the first game to draw me in with awesome cut scenes only to be disappointed with the mehness.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
lesterley said:
Apparently I'm the only woman who watches "Unskippable", because all of you are so distracted by the boobage that you failed to notice the typo at the very end of the video.

It's supposed to be REPRESENTATIONS, not "reprisentations".

Silly boys...
Leslee
Reprahzent, sista!

(I fixed the spelling in the episode, just for you.) :p