Unskippable: Dead Rising 3 - Zombies! ...Again!

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
Dead Rising 3 - Zombies! ...Again!

You think after 2 previous games, they'd get a handle on how to contain zombies.

Watch Video

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Pretty big clipping error around 2:20-2:40 when Nick's climbing through that hole in the fence, you'd think they would've noticed that.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I don't get that plane crash at all. Are they implying the rest of the world is doomed now too?

Because it can't be from an infection inside the city. It's been 72 hours. They started shooting people within a day, they're going to have landed the frigging planes by then. And if there's a zombie outbreak large enough that you are shooting your own citizens, wouldn't banning air travel in the country be the first thing you do?

Maybe I'm thinking too hard for a Dead Rising game (ie at all). In my defence, that deathly dull grey palette is horrible at doing 'fun zombie apocalypse'

Jan 12, 2012
Yeah, Dead Rising 3 doesn't make sense in a world that regularly deals with zombies. You think they would have figured out stuff like "Airstrikes: massive damage to infrastructure, slowing down any survival or recovery efforts, while causing relatively little harm to the zombies," "Deliberately shooting civilians is evil and counter-productive from an intelligence-gathering standpoint," and "At first report of zombification, everyone goes to their government-issued shelters, is checked for infection, and put on lockdown while military teams sweep the city. It'll suck spending a week under armed guard, but that's better than literally everyone dying and posing a threat to the rest of the country." Zombies never change how they operate, they're the perfect danger for the military to plan for because it's exactly the same every time.

Also, "Dead Maintaining" sounds like it could be an indie game; you're the only zombie whose mind is intact, and you decide to take care of your undead companions. You've got to herd them away from enviromental dangers, make sure they're fed regularly, and deal with any human incursions coming to wipe you out and take back the city. I'm picturing a cross between Lemmings and Dungeon Keeper. I'd buy it on Steam for a dollar.

Garfy

Nov 6, 2009
Didn't they have medicine to prevent infected people from turning in the last game?
What happened to that?

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Waaaaaiiiit... so there was an unrelated zombie situation on this random passenger plane that occurred three days after the outbreak in that city and was entirely separate to this town being quarantined?

Otherwise, why the hell else did it crash then and there...

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Aha!

Video game protagonists are all actually Wolverine!

This explains their resilience and regenerating health and complete willingness to slaughter hundreds of people.

[sub][sub]Also gritty gruff white men. If I didn't make that connection, somebody else surely would have.[/sub][/sub]

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Now I can't tell which of Capcom's zombie franchises have the more nonsensical story: Resident Evil or Dead Rising. If they're going for a "Humans Are The Real Monsters" thing, that's even stupider. If I was in one of those worlds and somebody said that, I'd go "Really? We're the real monsters?!", then pull the head off the nearest zombie, show it to them, and say "Then what do you call THIS?!" Then I'd stick a live grenade in its mouth, pull the pin, and punt it into a crowd of zombies and watch them blow up, because it could be really funny and I have a warped sense of humor.
I guess the problem with all the zombie fiction swarming around us (just like zombies! AH! AH! AH! AH!), and a lot of horror in general, is that they break down in the face of logic. To really see how a zombocalypse will go down, read Cracked's article "7 Scientific Reasons A Real-World Zombie Apocalypse Will Fail (Quickly)"

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Bit of Trivia for you.

"Fake Town California" means "The Lost(plural)".
Maybe if people would stop naming their cities after pessimism, there would be less disasters.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Pretty boring again, sorry to say.
"Asura's Wrath part IV: You know we want it!"...

Puppy eyes?

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
So this seems pretty much like the first one except this time the protagonist is just a rather clueless survivor with a number on his neck, not someone who came in to report on it or a reigning champion in a zombie-killing reality show. Seems like a downgrade really.

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
I blame that wasp.
Obviously in the 15 minutes between the first sighting and the plane crash the wasp became a zombie wasp, flew up to 30000 feet and crashed the plane.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Yeah... I like to think DR3 is kinda-sorta a reboot, because, well, it's pretty hard to retcon a zombie killing reality show and act like it never happened.

Thunderous Cacophony said:
Also, "Dead Maintaining" sounds like it could be an indie game; you're the only zombie whose mind is intact, and you decide to take care of your undead companions. You've got to herd them away from enviromental dangers, make sure they're fed regularly, and deal with any human incursions coming to wipe you out and take back the city. I'm picturing a cross between Lemmings and Dungeon Keeper. I'd buy it on Steam for a dollar.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I think I would actually buy that. It would be a nice break from all of the zombie survival games at the very least.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Yeah, Dead Rising 3 doesn't make sense in a world that regularly deals with zombies. You think they would have figured out stuff like "Airstrikes: massive damage to infrastructure, slowing down any survival or recovery efforts, while causing relatively little harm to the zombies," "Deliberately shooting civilians is evil and counter-productive from an intelligence-gathering standpoint," and "At first report of zombification, everyone goes to their government-issued shelters, is checked for infection, and put on lockdown while military teams sweep the city. It'll suck spending a week under armed guard, but that's better than literally everyone dying and posing a threat to the rest of the country." Zombies never change how they operate, they're the perfect danger for the military to plan for because it's exactly the same every time.

You have not played the game, that much is obvious. The protagonist going to a government-issued shelter would be a terrible, horrible idea. The entire city being nuked would be a much better outcome.

Jan 12, 2012
SupahGamuh said:
Yeah... I like to think DR3 is kinda-sorta a reboot, because, well, it's pretty hard to retcon a zombie killing reality show and act like it never happened.

Thanks for that; I didn't hear much about that one when it came out, so I didn't know it was already a thing.
Denamic said:
You have not played the game, that much is obvious. The protagonist going to a government-issued shelter would be a terrible, horrible idea. The entire city being nuked would be a much better outcome.
Yeah, it would be bad for the world if Nick had gone to a shelter. It would, however, have been great for Gen. Hemlock and the other conspirators to have Nick and the other people who were experimented on in a safe, known location, where they could take them for "additional screening". As far as I remember, the only clues they had to his identity was "had a number tattooed on his neck", and only a few people even knew he was wanted in any way. The odds that Nick would survive the initial outbreak (immunity doesn't do him any good if his throat gets chewed out), the soldiers with explicit orders to execute any and all civilians, the gang violence, and various and sundry accidents, and somehow get found by the soldiers looking for one man in a giant city teeming with undead, are astronomical. It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack by soaking the whole thing in gasoline, lighting it on fire, and then shoving your bare arms in shoulder-deep to feel around.

Plus, if the end goal was a coup and martial law, teaching the populace to go to government shelters (i.e. holding cells) and wait for further instructions is not a bad idea. Double-plus, making the people actually believe you could protect them is a great way to keep power. Triple-plus, the regular government and military had ten years since DR2 to come up with a plan for this situation, and they apparently got no farther than "level the place".

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Well?! Why didn't you start the episode? What's this nonsense of just posting the credits sequence after like 5 seconds of talking?