Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

hutting

Dec 3, 2008
I don't think I've ever seen something as boring or unfunny as this. Nearly ten minutes and the only time I considered laughing is the "Mummy's drunk" line, hopefully the next one will be good.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Pyroman31 said:
Great stuff....but we have already been doing this for almost a year...

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=E226293178B185E1

:)
And MST3K has been doing it for almost 11 years.

KiraMermaid

Sep 4, 2008
That was indeed a horrible beginning. There were a few slow parts to it, but overall rather funny. I have a reason to look forward to Mondays now.

CapnGod

Sep 6, 2008
I'm going to jump on the "that was good shit" bandwagon. It's comfy here, and enjoyable. Yay!

Jan 3, 2009
And so kratos threw himself off the highest cliff in athens... major lolz

Please escapists hire these guys and give them a weekly episodic garuntee.

You guys made me laugh more than ZP. sorry zp but its true.

gr33l

Nov 13, 2008
i really cant see whats so funny about unskippable... i didn't laugh once during the whole time i could bare to watch it. i wonder how and why it got a spot as a regular show.

NDWolfwood5268

Dec 3, 2008
It got a spot because a lot of people liked it. I only really like ZP and this so it's about opinion.

Great job! Can't wait for the next one!

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
With the quality of Unforgotten Realms decreasing (not because of the length, I promise) and a lot of other videos disappointing, I was hoping this would breathe new life into the video community here, and while I was somewhat amused, it felt very... forced I guess, in that the interjections had to be crammed between and over top of existing conversation, making it sound muddled and the jokes rushed to fit the small time frame. While there were some good jokes, the situation made the timing poor, and I frequently didn't laugh even when I thought something was amusing after the fact.

Now, if this was somehow worked to replace one characters voice with the narrator (if I may call him that) I think this could be fantastic, but otherwise, eh. I do like the concept though. Kind of an MST3K for video games.

Powerman88

Dec 24, 2008
I'm sorry, I honestly tried to like it. It was just really boring and not funny. ZP is, unfortunately, still the only thing really worth watching on this site. The concept is sound; I would conceded that much.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I really didn't think that it was that funny this time around. The first one made me laugh a little, but it seemed like they rushed this one out.

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
Man, they actually described the town in that detail? The game was already pretty, they just needed to pan around for a sec. That needed making fun of man, that was just... too... long.

Go Planet!

Xelien

Oct 22, 2008
Man i saw part of this as a stinger at teh end of a ZP video and thought, "This narrator.....sounds like paul...." Then to my suspire it was, yay for LRR and teh escapist, good stuff all in one.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Hey, you know, if you actually play the game, the cutscenes make sense because they are given context. Also, in Japanese, the voices are much less annoying. Yeah. I'm that guy who plays the game in Japanese with English subtitles.

I will admit, though, I laughed very hard watching this video.

Lanowar

Oct 10, 2007
I liked it, made me laugh more then I thought it would to be honest between this and the Lost Planet intro I have high hopes for the series; it seems besides ZP the other Escapist Videos come off as trying to hard so its nice to see somthing that, well does'nt need to try to be anything it's not.

kamuraki

Jan 7, 2009
I suggest that if you guys enjoy this, you also check out rifftrax. It's what Mike Nelson and the others have been up to after MST3K was taken off the air.

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
Syphonz said:
Any one can just take a really long cutscene from a game and sit there waiting for an oppertune moment to make a one-line call.
In the interest of debate, I don't think that's necessarily the case. It's something we've been trying to do properly for a while, and once we actually sat down to do it, it proved much more difficult than we thought. It's the kind of thing that always looks easy...

But for you, and others who have responded that they simply didn't like it, that's fine. As I said, I'm a huge fan of MST3K, and a lot of my friends simply can't stand it. It a style of humor that many people just can't get behind... they find it irritating.
I'm 100% not offended by that, you are welcome to not like.

That's why I've only been responding to people offering constructive criticism. If you simply don't like it, that's just your sense of humor, and I can't change that.

Luckily for us though, there are plenty of other people who do like it as much as us.

Next Monday!

mark_n_b

Mar 24, 2008
Nerdfury said:
I'm sorry, but I just can't find this remotely funny. Comparing it to MST3k is like comparing The Clone Wars CG movie to the original trilogy.

I questioned how it won the Film Festival (in fact, I question how the top three got there at all), and I still question it. It's like de-rez - not funny.
I have to agree with fury. The monotone isn't appropriately stylish, and the mystery science fiction theater 3000 thing is so... mystery science fiction theater 3000.

I would be less willing to criticize, no one can really like everything, but when his shtick is about talking over cutscenes, if you can't be bothered to do something about the sub-titles it does not read well.

But then... Excusing Unforgotten Realms which is solid flash animation and Zero Punctuation which is well acted and stylistically defined, I can't give any of the Escapist's Programs top marks.

It's too bad too, Unskippable uses a solid formula that should push it to the top. But it is needing better writing / acting / editing for that to happen.

We'll see in a couple of months, but I'm willing to pronounce now.