Unskippable: Killzone: Shadow Fall - None of This Makes Any Sense

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
Killzone: Shadow Fall - None of This Makes Any Sense

Killzone: Shadow Fall's opening sequence raises so many questions, but provides so few answers.

Watch Video

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I still don't understand why you would give the Helghast ANYTHING.

They're pretty much Space Nazis IN SPACE and want to kill everyone who isn't them. The fact that you burned their home is GOOD. You should've kept firing and destroyed their ships too and finished scouring the surface.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
OH! Part 2, can't wait!!!
And this DOESN'T make ANY sense indeed, gaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!
*Brain explosion*

Btw, the fire that burns your entire enemies planet.
That's what happened to Talaxia in Star Trek Voyager... rip off!

Oh, the CAPTCHA explains the plotwriters motives:
"Crime of passion". :p

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Graham, I think this is the first time I've heard you sound really pissed off at a game, heh

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Wow I never heard about the setup for this game, that's just silly.

Also why is grumpy cat a helghan soldier?

"I've lived in peace.
It was terrible. >:C"

ddrkreature

Jun 24, 2013
How can they construct a wall overnight and not give the civilians of the planet time to leave? Simple. They brought the wall with them. Yeah, they left their planet with pieces of the wall and slapped it together on the planet. Seriously, why wouldn't you have spare slabs of planet dividing high tech wall paneling in a warehouse somewhere? Gotta be prepared for anything, man.

As for the shooting civilians...They're just defending their territory. Once the wall went up, they were intruders. Not the Helgans' fault the humans are idiots, right? ...wait

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
So wait you spend 3 games locked in a war with a race of space nazis who want to wipe you from existence? Finally you beat them by destorying their home planet? Then as part of a truce, you as the victorious party not only allow the survivors to live on your planet but then give half of said planet to them to wall off and forcibly evict or kill your citizens who no doubt you fought the original war to protect? Man I don't know who the ISA get to do their negotiations but clealy they suck at it.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
There's almost nobody to sympathize with in this latest Killzone. Everyone's an idiot/psycho.

Hmm, a whole episode commenting about the wall and no Pink Floyd jokes? Well, there's always next week (hint, hint).

captcha: Save the Day
Yeah, the Vektans and the ISA really dropped the ball on that one.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
You're right, this doesn't make any sense. Why would the Helghast shoot Vektans that are trying to leave their half of the planet. And on that note, why did the Vektans give the Helghast half the planet after clearly winning the war by nuking the Helghast planet?

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
So was The Wall created by simply landing all the Helghan ships end to end? That's my bullshit explanation for it.

Is this a reboot, or did they manage to make 3 games worth out of "seconds"?

Of course Sinclair survives, He's actually got a name!

DrRockor

Jun 24, 2008
The game has one of the most confusing plots I've seen in a while. The Vektans nuke the planet (for I assume Killzone 2 reasons) and give the survivors somewhere to live for maybe, humanitarian reasons? How bad was this planet nuking that it required half the planet for survives?!
Then when they are moving in, instead of being good neighbours they just shoot everyone. Where they just trying to make sure the Vektans knew they still didn't like them? Also this was a interplanetary war right? Was Vekta the only other planet?! Couldn't you have found another planet?

The start of this game seems engineered to make the Helghast look as evil and possible then it spends half the game trying to make you emphasis with them.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
You're right, this doesn't make any sense. Why would the Helghast shoot Vektans that are trying to leave their half of the planet. And on that note, why did the Vektans give the Helghast half the planet after clearly winning the war by nuking the Helghast planet?
Why did that let them have weaponry?? And all their armour??

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
BrotherRool said:
canadamus_prime said:
Why did that let them have weaponry?? And all their armour??
"Yeah, we feel kinda bad for nuking your planet, so we're going to give you half of our planet, let you keep all your weapons and armour, and shoot any of our people who fail to evacuate from your half of the planet in time."

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
From looking at this opening cutscene the guys who made this game have created the worst & laziest "reason to be a protagonist" that I've ever seen // All of Grahams points, about why people didn't leave when the wall was being build, are perfectly valid

Even if it is explained later in that game, the setup still makes no sense & fills us with so many questions

-M

varmintx

Oct 6, 2011
It is not explained later in the game (and it never makes sense), but at least there are a few worthwhile plot twists.

What REALLY doesn't make sense is why Guerrilla ditched the awesome "heaviness" to your character's movement that set the games apart from every other damn FPS on the market in favor of the same, tired twitch shooting that makes this game blend into the white noise of the genre.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Barb the laser emiters, duh!

It really is awkward when you get a child who doesn't want to be carried in Shadow Marshal training, but the rules are the rules.

Paragon Fury said:
I still don't understand why you would give the Helghast ANYTHING.

They're pretty much Space Nazis IN SPACE and want to kill everyone who isn't them. The fact that you burned their home is GOOD. You should've kept firing and destroyed their ships too and finished scouring the surface.
I thought it was later revealed that we were the aggressors or some "VAT A TWEEST" moment.

shin0bi272

Aug 26, 2014
Actually this is sort of like what they did to Germany after WW2 and what they are doing to Israel right now... still doesnt explain why they didnt let the people out unless its an analogy for east germany.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
DrRockor said:
The game has one of the most confusing plots I've seen in a while. The Vektans nuke the planet (for I assume Killzone 2 reasons) and give the survivors somewhere to live for maybe, humanitarian reasons? How bad was this planet nuking that it required half the planet for survives?!
Then when they are moving in, instead of being good neighbours they just shoot everyone. Where they just trying to make sure the Vektans knew they still didn't like them? Also this was a interplanetary war right? Was Vekta the only other planet?! Couldn't you have found another planet?

The start of this game seems engineered to make the Helghast look as evil and possible then it spends half the game trying to make you emphasis with them.
This game is set after Killzone 3, not 2.
Speaking of 2, I remember Graham and Paul taking on the opening cutscene for that game, but I can't find it in their archives.

Lonewolfm16

Feb 27, 2012
I get why you would grant refugees territory, I mean, you did just commit a massive act of genocide. But 1.why half the planet? Vae victis and all that. 2. If this was meant to be a peace deal, WHY THE FUCK ARE THEY STILL MILITARIZED? They are a militaristic society with a massive, massive grudge, they lost the war, disarm them and enforce it. At the very least it will push the inevitable war between the two to a later date and stop them from being overly powerful when it does start. But don't just let them keep their weapons, you might as well ask for another war.