Unskippable: Killzone: Shadow Fall - None of This Makes Any Sense

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Now that you mention it... how quickly did they build all this crap anyway? Construction work around here usually takes years just for a medium-sized building. Slapping up that enormous half-planet-spanning wall should have taken DECADES. Surely they must have looked out the window and thought "maybe we should move out" once the construction team rolled in with guns, barbed wire and red glowing eyes.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
Eruanno said:
Now that you mention it... how quickly did they build all this crap anyway? Construction work around here usually takes years just for a medium-sized building. Slapping up that enormous half-planet-spanning wall should have taken DECADES. Surely they must have looked out the window and thought "maybe we should move out" once the construction team rolled in with guns, barbed wire and red glowing eyes.
Well, the whole situation is a big analogy for the Berlin Wall, so perhaps just like Berlin it functioned as one city with different administrative sectors, then the Helghast decides to build a giant wall to split the city in two, most people with sense jumped over as soon as it became obvious, while people like the Protagonist's dad stayed on the other side for too long because "Pshh, how bad could it be?"

Varadar

Oct 24, 2013
I'm wondering what the game story is trying to tell us? For me it sounds like the idea the story is trying to convey is "when you do genocide, do it properly", i.e. murder every single men, woman, child. Otherwise they'll try to seek revenge, ungrateful bastards. Well, it makes some sense to a degree. I mean, I think there is some rule of that kind in 100 Dark Lord Rules. It is a reasonable way of thinking for a Dark Lord. But aren't we supposed to play a good guys?

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
varmintx said:
It is not explained later in the game (and it never makes sense), but at least there are a few worthwhile plot twists.

What REALLY doesn't make sense is why Guerrilla ditched the awesome "heaviness" to your character's movement that set the games apart from every other damn FPS on the market in favor of the same, tired twitch shooting that makes this game blend into the white noise of the genre.
The heavyness you're talking about got lost in Killzone 3 already. Shame though, I really like Killzone HD and 2. Having weight to your character is one of the reasons.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Graham_LRR said:
Ohlookit said:
Even if it is explained later in that game, the setup still makes no sense & fills us with so many questions
It's not.
Well that's just lovely =[ I'm so excited that games are using these "wonderful" plot tropes to create & give meaning to their protagonist

-M

health-bar

Nov 13, 2009
way I figured it, is in the beginning of killzone 3, Vekta is withdrawing and ordering their troops to surrender since the Helghast main force arrives and starts wiping the floor with them (and Rico killed Visari, whom he had orders to capture, not kill, since assassinating the only man the Helghast listen to is probably a bad idea, and then trade Visari for Helghan's surrender and/or force him to sign a treaty) Sev and a band of misfits decide surrendering to the people they just invaded and murdered their Autarch is probably a bad idea. So basically all the stuff that happened in 3 is them acting 'Rogue' since they weren't even supposed to be there. Lo and behold, Jorhan Stahl is planning to blow up Earth, and when Sev and pals stop him, it blows up Helghan.

Now earth steps in, oblivious to Stahl's plan (not to mention Stahl was acting without the consent of his government, anyway) and goes "holy fuck you just genocided their planet? AFTER assassinating their leader in cold blood? and you were acting against orders the whole fucking time? nah, hell nah, you're going to have to pay for that." so they give half of Vekta to Helghan for reparations (I guess, best I can figure).

As for not leaving as the wall was going up...no fucking clue. Either A) the native Vektans are retarded and didnt leave in time, or B) the Helghast decided they needed a workforce and started stopping people from leaving as the wall was going up, like the soviets did.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
mmm, only real reason I can see behind this move is that the following happened:

a) Vektans pretty much lost the war, the attack on Helghast was only a way to level the negotiation field.
b) Helghats, even after the destruction of their world had a massive fleet still operational, still capable of destroying the Vektans.
c) The truce was proposed by the Vektans but the Helghasts were the ones that proposed moving to Vekta.
d) Vektans had to accept, or being forced to a mutual annihilation war.

As for people leaving after the wall was built, only reason I think this could have happened is because the Helghast changed their tolerance policy at one point and evicted all veterans from their side.

But to be honest, that's stretching thins too far.

Mullahgrrl

Apr 20, 2008
The story kind of feels like some wierd racist anti-immigrant propaganda. *we blew their country to peices and now the bastards are coming here*

I hope it isn't a concious decision by the developers.

Sillarra

I have no idea how I got here.
Aug 14, 2014
Disclaimer: I have not played any game in the Killzone series.

That said, I still find it unbelievable that people did not move out when the Helghast starts buliding walls (or why the wall is built in a very short time - they are going to occupy half the planet after all). Furthermore, wouldn't the civilians be informed of these things and are ordered to move out before the Helghast arrive?

Not demilitarize them is also stupid, since Japan was subjected to that back in WWII as far as I know.

diab0l

You must defeat my dragon punch
Apr 7, 2014
SNCommand said:
Well, the whole situation is a big analogy for the Berlin Wall, ...
Except the Berlin Wall was built on the losers territory (Germany) to split it up for the winners (US and UdSSR), not on the winner's territory to share with the loser.
Also West Germany was heavily demilitarized while East Germany lost it's autonomy more or less. The whole thing was also a proxy war kind of thing between the US and the UdSSR.
None of this* applies to Killzone, so the analogy is terrible at best.

I'd go with "the Vektans are retards and the Helghasts are space Nazis".

* except for "There's a wall, people try to cross it, other people keep them from doing so"

MirenBainesUSMC

Aug 10, 2014
I am very glad I wasn't the only one who observed this gripe, it seems just because something has " Sony" and " Exclusive" in it, anyone who plays it simply must bow down to it and accept that it is a " great game". As this game was a launch title, I had expected it to follow through from the last Kill Zone. How is it that you make characters that people are familiar with in a series and then totally reboot the thing with a crazy and nonsensical story rife in problems, holes, and improbable events?

I know if someone attempted to this in a planet that I was a citizen of, I would have formed a militia resistance to over throw it immediately because they obviously lost their minds and have become insane.

I haven't finished this game yet due to the PS4 not having to many options right now so I'm savoring the experience but so far, I've been scatching my head going --- So what the hell happened to Chairman Sthal? We just fast forwarded further in the future to not have to come up with bridging plots and an actual working story?

Its lazy and pathetic from a writers point of view and I help people fix plot problems all of the time. Awful.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
I'm not a huge Killzone guy but there are other planets aren't there? I suppose leadership just decided to give that planet to the Helghast as the alternative was the Helghast laying siege to the place anyway.

MirenBainesUSMC said:
I haven't finished this game yet due to the PS4 not having to many options right now so I'm savoring the experience but so far, I've been scatching my head going --- So what the hell happened to Chairman Sthal? We just fast forwarded further in the future to not have to come up with bridging plots and an actual working story?
... I believe someone above you mentioned it already but just keep playing, lets say that thread you want to see is there.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
You've played this whole game on stream and you still don't know Helghan is the planet and Helghast are the people?
But yeah, shit makes no sense.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Rozalia1 said:
I'm not a huge Killzone guy but there are other planets aren't there? I suppose leadership just decided to give that planet to the Helghast as the alternative was the Helghast laying siege to the place anyway.
The only other planet mentioned in the games was Sorin in Killzone 2. It was apparently part of the Vektan Helghast War between the first and second game.

Here's the way I see the setup in Shadow Fall: Earth is controlled by the UCN, which is basically NATO in Space. The UCN then gives individual planets their own jurisdiction under the ISA governments, since there is mention of other ISA's controlling other planets, while the one in the game is under Vektan control. So while the ISAs are used for local affairs, the UCN can step in at anytime to veto decisions.

The way I see it, the ISA had committed war crimes by assassinating Visari and then committing genocide. Their military had been thoroughly trashed by the Helghast, who still had remnants of a fleet left at the end of Killzone 3. The UCN would punish Vektan ISA by allowing land permits on Vekta for the Helghast, under the pretense that Vekta is the original Helghast homeworld before their exile.

shin0bi272

Aug 26, 2014
Varadar said:
I'm wondering what the game story is trying to tell us? For me it sounds like the idea the story is trying to convey is "when you do genocide, do it properly", i.e. murder every single men, woman, child. Otherwise they'll try to seek revenge, ungrateful bastards. Well, it makes some sense to a degree. I mean, I think there is some rule of that kind in 100 Dark Lord Rules. It is a reasonable way of thinking for a Dark Lord. But aren't we supposed to play a good guys?
I think its an allegory for Israel. They won their war for independence in 1948 and let the people they defeated live with them and ever since the UN has been making the winners of a war give up "land for peace" to the losers of that war. But when there is no peace due to missles being shot into Israeli cities from that land by terrorists (who's charter says they only seek to kill all the Israelis), Israel is portrayed as the bad guys for fighting back. Hamaas puts rocket installations right next to schools and malls and mosques so that the resultant counter attack via jets or helicopter will hurt innocent people. But the media gets pictures sent to it BY THE TERRORISTS and they play those shots like its all Israel's fault. Hamaas WANTS there to be collateral damage so that they will be seen as the victims even though they started the fight. Sounds almost exactly like whats happening in this game doesnt it?