Unskippable: Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories - Thank God for Subtitles

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
4,296
0
0
Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories - Thank God for Subtitles

Okay, who decided to make Donald Duck the one guy in charge of casting complicated magic spells ?

Watch Video
 

scw55

New member
Nov 18, 2009
1,185
0
0
Saying the Word to summon the Thing sounds dangerous.

What happens if you make a mistake when holding your scepter and cite "Oh crap..."?
 

GamemasterAnthony

New member
Dec 5, 2010
1,009
0
0
I was kind of wondering about Donald being the wizard too. Before the first Kingdom Hearts, Disney did a little skit to celebrate the opening of Toontown in Disneyworld. In said skit, apparently Donald got his grubby mitts on Sorcerer Yen Sid's hat and caused all sorts of trouble. (Kinda like Mickey did in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice".)

By the way...bonus points if you know what I'm referencing.
 

Weirdwolf

New member
Jan 26, 2010
19
0
0
I'm saddened that you would make jokes about the architect of the castle putting towers at wrong angles, Turrets syndrome is a really terrible disease for him to have to live with you are just being heartless!
 

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
14,334
0
0
Castle Oblivion is a headache waiting to happen. So he remembered he could do the spells by shouting their names, but they didn't work because he forgot them? ...my head hurts.
 
Jan 12, 2012
2,114
0
0
I feel like we're missing important set-up: why are they looking for Mickey in the first place? Why is this castle that they clearly knew nothing about the first place they looked (gut feelings aside)? Shouldn't they start at the castle in the Magic Kingdom and ask Minnie?
Weirdwolf said:
I'm saddened that you would make jokes about the architect of the castle putting towers at wrong angles, Turrets syndrome is a really terrible disease for him to have to live with you are just being heartless!
I was looking to make a balcony-related pun, but I couldn't find one, so I'll just say well done.
 

Darth_Payn

New member
Aug 5, 2009
2,868
0
0
That castle is like one of the apartments Fry and Bender were checking out while house-hunting, the M.C. Escher one. "I don't want to pay for a dimension we're not going to use."
Never mind the kitchen, I can only imagine how to go to the bathroom in that place!
 

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
732
0
0
I had thought you were going to show the infamous line Donald Duck said in Japanese when you were thankful for subtitles.... Then again that line probably wasn't in this game.
 

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
513
0
0
Darth_Payn said:
That castle is like one of the apartments Fry and Bender were checking out while house-hunting, the M.C. Escher one. "I don't want to pay for a dimension we're not going to use."
Never mind the kitchen, I can only imagine how to go to the bathroom in that place!
Don't worry the bathrooms come equipped with tentacles and tubes to help.

Well, now to go play Chrono Trigger again.
 

Roofstone

New member
May 13, 2010
1,642
0
0
Anyone remember that strip where Donald has vietnam flashbacks and tries to straight up murder his nephews?

I like to imagine that this is the world he was imagining as that was going on.
 

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
14,334
0
0
Actually Graham, it's funny you should mention Chrono Trigger because when I first heard about a team up between Disney and Square-Enix back before Kingdom Hearts came and all we knew about it was that Disney and Square were teaming up, I was hopeful that more of Square's properties would be involved inc. Chrono Trigger, and was disappointed when Kingdom Hearts came out and only Final Fantasy was used.
 

leviadragon99

New member
Jun 17, 2010
1,055
0
0
Thank you Graham, pointing out how stupid it is that Donald tried to cast a spell he'd supposedly forgotten.
 

Voulan

New member
Jul 18, 2011
1,258
0
0
Thunderous Cacophony said:
I feel like we're missing important set-up: why are they looking for Mickey in the first place? Why is this castle that they clearly knew nothing about the first place they looked (gut feelings aside)? Shouldn't they start at the castle in the Magic Kingdom and ask Minnie?
Remember that this is a sequel to the first Kingdom Hearts game, so all those answers were at the end of that game.

If you want to know though (at the risk of sounding like a diehard fan):

At the end of the game Sora and Co. found their way to Kingdom Hearts and defeated the main enemy of the game there that was attempting to use its power to envelop all the worlds in darkness. Kingdom Hearts was shown in the game to be a gigantic door that leads to the World of Darkness, so Mickey and Sora seal the door with their keyblades, one on each side of the door, meaning Mickey was now trapped in darkness. So they were attempting to go look for him - that's why they were so excited seeing Pluto in the field, because he was carrying a letter with Mickey's seal on it and probably thought it would lead them to him.

The castle they stumbled upon, and their gut feeling to look inside it, was a trap set up by the guy in the hood (Marluxia) and his group. The person drawing (Namine) has the ability to warp and rewrite memories, so the plot of the game is that they think by going further into the castle they'll find Mickey (and later Namine because Sora's memories are changed to make him think he's completely in love with her and has to save her), but they're just steadily having their memories completely rewritten the longer they're there, the idea being that if they confuse Sora enough he'll become useless with the keyblade and won't be able to use it against them.

That's a very simplified explanation. I can't really explain the 'you've forgotten how to cast spells, but you still remember that you used to cast spells' thing very well other than that it was a useful gameplay excuse to have you start from the beginning and relearn all your abilities.
 
Jan 12, 2012
2,114
0
0
Voulan said:
Thunderous Cacophony said:
I feel like we're missing important set-up: why are they looking for Mickey in the first place? Why is this castle that they clearly knew nothing about the first place they looked (gut feelings aside)? Shouldn't they start at the castle in the Magic Kingdom and ask Minnie?
Remember that this is a sequel to the first Kingdom Hearts game, so all those answers were at the end of that game.

If you want to know though (at the risk of sounding like a diehard fan):

At the end of the game Sora and Co. found their way to Kingdom Hearts and defeated the main enemy of the game there that was attempting to use its power to envelop all the worlds in darkness. Kingdom Hearts was shown in the game to be a gigantic door that leads to the World of Darkness, so Mickey and Sora seal the door with their keyblades, one on each side of the door, meaning Mickey was now trapped in darkness. So they were attempting to go look for him - that's why they were so excited seeing Pluto in the field, because he was carrying a letter with Mickey's seal on it and probably thought it would lead them to him.

The castle they stumbled upon, and their gut feeling to look inside it, was a trap set up by the guy in the hood (Marluxia) and his group. The person drawing (Namine) has the ability to warp and rewrite memories, so the plot of the game is that they think by going further into the castle they'll find Mickey (and later Namine because Sora's memories are changed to make him think he's completely in love with her and has to save her), but they're just steadily having their memories completely rewritten the longer they're there, the idea being that if they confuse Sora enough he'll become useless with the keyblade and won't be able to use it against them.

That's a very simplified explanation. I can't really explain the 'you've forgotten how to cast spells, but you still remember that you used to cast spells' thing very well other than that it was a useful gameplay excuse to have you start from the beginning and relearn all your abilities.
Thanks for that. I can see how that sort of messing with people's minds would lead them to make questionable decisions.
 

Random Wanderer

New member
Apr 15, 2009
137
0
0
I'm sorry, I still don't see why anyone would think that putting Disney characters into a JRPG would ever be a good idea.
 

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
429
0
0
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Voulan said:
Thunderous Cacophony said:
I feel like we're missing important set-up: why are they looking for Mickey in the first place? Why is this castle that they clearly knew nothing about the first place they looked (gut feelings aside)? Shouldn't they start at the castle in the Magic Kingdom and ask Minnie?
Remember that this is a sequel to the first Kingdom Hearts game, so all those answers were at the end of that game.

If you want to know though (at the risk of sounding like a diehard fan):

At the end of the game Sora and Co. found their way to Kingdom Hearts and defeated the main enemy of the game there that was attempting to use its power to envelop all the worlds in darkness. Kingdom Hearts was shown in the game to be a gigantic door that leads to the World of Darkness, so Mickey and Sora seal the door with their keyblades, one on each side of the door, meaning Mickey was now trapped in darkness. So they were attempting to go look for him - that's why they were so excited seeing Pluto in the field, because he was carrying a letter with Mickey's seal on it and probably thought it would lead them to him.

The castle they stumbled upon, and their gut feeling to look inside it, was a trap set up by the guy in the hood (Marluxia) and his group. The person drawing (Namine) has the ability to warp and rewrite memories, so the plot of the game is that they think by going further into the castle they'll find Mickey (and later Namine because Sora's memories are changed to make him think he's completely in love with her and has to save her), but they're just steadily having their memories completely rewritten the longer they're there, the idea being that if they confuse Sora enough he'll become useless with the keyblade and won't be able to use it against them.

That's a very simplified explanation. I can't really explain the 'you've forgotten how to cast spells, but you still remember that you used to cast spells' thing very well other than that it was a useful gameplay excuse to have you start from the beginning and relearn all your abilities.
Thanks for that. I can see how that sort of messing with people's minds would lead them to make questionable decisions.
To be fair. I won't blame you if you can't tell where the KH games fit into the story chronologically. I won't bother you with it either. It's too convoluted at this point.
 

Retsam19

New member
Dec 6, 2010
60
0
0
hickwarrior said:
To be fair. I won't blame you if you can't tell where the KH games fit into the story chronologically. I won't bother you with it either. It's too convoluted at this point.
It's not that complex; not compared to a lot of series. The first 3 games KH, Chain of Memories, KH2 (and coded, if you want to count that one) were all in order, then they released a side story (365 Days Over Two; yes the name is a bit nonsense), a prequel (Birth By Sleep), then picked back up on the main chronology with Dream Drop Distance and presumably KH3 will be the next one, also in chronology.

A side story and a prequel is hardly an exceptionally convoluted chronology.
 

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
5,145
0
0
And here we come to the point in the series where the story begins to turn confusing and nonsensical. Don't get me wrong, I love these games to death... it's just that all the twists and turns the story takes give me a headache trying to understand.

(Also here's a thought: do the Organization members wear anything underneath those zippered coats of theirs? ...This s the kind of thing I think about...)
 

Auron225

New member
Oct 26, 2009
1,790
0
0
Donald lost the ability to use magic, he didn't forget what magic was. Why is this so difficult to understand? Maybe "forgot every ability" was poor wording but he meant "lost the ability to...".

Random Wanderer said:
I'm sorry, I still don't see why anyone would think that putting Disney characters into a JRPG would ever be a good idea.
Maybe because the series has been extremely successful and made a truck load of money. Call it a guess though.