Unskippable: Legendary

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
samsonguy920 said:
canadamus_prime said:
My cheap knock-off senses are tingling.
Also what part of 'Never Open' does that guy not understand. Of course one has to wonder, if the box was never to be opened, why did they even make a key for it.
I always wonder about that when there's a plot device that involves something that's "Never meant to be opened." If it was never meant to be opened, why did you even make it possible to open it?
That is the basis for philosophy. Like this week's quiz [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101125-Take-this-Quiz-to-Discover-What-Kind-of-Gamer-You-Are], there is no one right answer.
I'm not talking about philosophy, I'm talking about logic. Like logically if you don't want something opened, you ensure that there is absolutely no way to open it. Granted that doesn't allow for very interesting storytelling, but at least it makes sense.
The original myth is about how the gods WANTED the box to be opened and created Pandora for that very purpose (she was married to Epimetheus because he was basically the god of being an idiot). All of this is tied to the overarching theme of Greek mythology, which is that the gods are all complete dicks.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
Danny Ocean said:
So Pandora's Box is an allegory akin to curiosity killed the cat?
but i like my cat
but i guess that is why i don't have one anymore
i got a dog!

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
[small][sub][sub][sub]"Creepy box, creepy box, creepy box, creepy box..."[/sub][/sub][/sub][/small]

Maybe this box isn't a good thing... Still pretty looking though.

Fun episode guys!

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
canadamus_prime said:
I'm not talking about philosophy, I'm talking about logic. Like logically if you don't want something opened, you ensure that there is absolutely no way to open it. Granted that doesn't allow for very interesting storytelling, but at least it makes sense.
For some reason, your comment reminds me of Oak Island [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Island] and it's famed Money Pit.

First noticed in the 1700's, the Money Pit is believed by some to contain some sort of elaborately buried treasure. However, the pit's characteristics have thwarted explorers for over 300 years, as attempts to excavate the site result in flooding and collapse. If there's anything down there, it has proved darned hard to recover.

If we assume the pit is artificially constructed, and if we further assume something has been placed there (neither of which are certain at this point), then it occurred to me a while back: If you have a treasure -- i.e. a valuable thing you intended to recover later -- you would not bury it in so difficult and elaborate a manner that you lacked the ability to actually recover it. Which led me to the further thought: Perhaps it is a thing not meant to be recovered. Perhaps it is something someone wanted made irretrievable forever. Which then makes you wonder what such an artifact might be. It could be some sort of weird bio- or radiation hazard that fell from the sky. Or the remains of Christ.

...Or Pandora's Box.

Plenty of storytelling opportunity there.

MortalForNow

Jan 10, 2010
Good video, but I'd like to add my own theory to the James Cameron reference. Cameron found the box while filming Aliens of the Deep, but decided to sell it to make more money and just took the name for his own purposes. Thus, Pandora from Avatar was born.

Again, more great humor to make this another worthy five minutes of hearing your jokes. Which makes me wonder, if all the misfortunes of the world were already released when the box was first opened, what could possibly be released that wasn't included the first time it was opened, unless all that was released the first time was killed off (assuming mythological creatures in this case)?

I'm thinking too much into this. In short, another good week, can't see what you guys put up next time.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
And then the Council of 98 hired the Crazy 88s, and they all went down to the 7-Eleven for the sale on 40oz Slurpees and Three Musketeers bars....

When I finally launch my career as a globetrotting master thief, I will have a set of ironclad rules to follow. Rule #4 will be "never, ever attempt to steal, or place your hand against/inside, ancient artifacts that whisper at you".

What's Rule #1? "Never trust a guy who hires you to steal his own stuff". I've seen what that gets you.... [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AAzkPkiImo]

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
OtherSideofSky said:
canadamus_prime said:
samsonguy920 said:
canadamus_prime said:
My cheap knock-off senses are tingling.
Also what part of 'Never Open' does that guy not understand. Of course one has to wonder, if the box was never to be opened, why did they even make a key for it.
I always wonder about that when there's a plot device that involves something that's "Never meant to be opened." If it was never meant to be opened, why did you even make it possible to open it?
That is the basis for philosophy. Like this week's quiz [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101125-Take-this-Quiz-to-Discover-What-Kind-of-Gamer-You-Are], there is no one right answer.
The original myth is about how the gods WANTED the box to be opened and created Pandora for that very purpose (she was married to Epimetheus because he was basically the god of being an idiot). All of this is tied to the overarching theme of Greek mythology, which is that the gods are all complete dicks.
Yes yes, but I wasn't just talking about Pandora's Box. I was talking about Fiction in general. There are many other examples I could think of, like the door to Tarterus in Justice League, or this box with a sealed evil in it from this crappy movie I saw once called "The Ceremony" ...or something like that. Take your pick.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I played this when it was £10 and I got to say it isn't as horrific as some reviews make it out to. Don't get me wrong, it's a very VERY straight forward FPS and the graphics are sub-par BUT it's not broken and the premise is excellent.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Wierdly this game could have been good if the setting would have been like in Arcanum huh? and not another lame FPS...

i loled real hard with the Avatar/pandora's box reference...

rofl jet

Aug 23, 2009
"Time to spend the next few hours with my hand boobing around in front of my face" pretty much sums up bioshock
edit: hehe boobing

DannyboyO1

Oct 3, 2007
The bit I was waiting for with the council of questionable numbering (which explains how they misplaced The Artifact in a way that it turns up on the ocean floor)... was "Okay, so this secret organization found and lost it in a way that has absolutely no bearing on the plot. Why did they bother to mention them?"

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
So, "all of mankind's misfortune" was just a spike that gives bad tattoos and wanker's cramp? Talk about anticlimactic.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
I have to point out that there was an error in the video.

Opening Legendary is actually *worse* than opening Pandora's Box.

At least Pandora's Box has Hope.

lokiduck

Jun 5, 2010
XD I was wondering why I knew the title of this game, this guy on Youtube I watch is doing a let's play XD

Kivan12

Jul 31, 2009
"An easy bake oven" YAY for SEALAB 2021 reference! if you do not know what this is, please google it and find the best animated series ever made. R.I.P Murphey