Unskippable: Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death - Villain Stereotype Checklist

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death - Villain Stereotype Checklist

Don't worry it was just a light stab wound.

Watch Video

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
I'll admit, with a name like 'Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death', I expected something more... noir?
But this still feels like they setup a 50's B movie, then switched to current era Bayhem halfway through :(

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Even for a villain that was a stupid move. That scythe is worth so much less now.

Plus the whole "Dude going around killing everyone in your organization" thing but I don't think he could've foreseen that.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Aptspire said:
I'll admit, with a name like 'Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death', I expected something more... noir?
But this still feels like they setup a 50's B movie, then switched to current era Bayhem halfway through :(
The game itself is more of a humorous, B-Movie-esque God-of-War clone. And no, that's NOT a bad thing. It's actually a pretty good game.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
So the hero in this is Shadow Man / Michael LeRoi & the villain is Razak "The Razor" Razman?

Well those 2 characters reminded me of those other 2 characters.

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
What the hell was any of that?! The entire plot would have never happened if Evil Bald Dud had just let his hench woman shoot him instead of using the random-ass scythe that was just sitting in the corner!

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Now, I know from what I've read on Steam that the game is supposed to be knowingly wink-nudge over-the-top action cliche nonsense.

That said: is it ever more efficient to try to motivate your translator by kidnapping her and murdering her boyfriend than, say, letting her leave and getting a new translator who isn't yet savvy to your evil plan?

Jan 12, 2012
kailus13 said:
Even for a villain that was a stupid move. That scythe is worth so much less now.
Well, he did just leave it behind as his men burned down the place, so I'm guessing he's not very interested in archaeological discoveries so much as checking to see whether his henchwoman was lying on her resume when she listed, "Proficiency with Scythe 01-07".

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Unskippable has been on a "Like Tomb Raider, but..." kick lately, with these almost unknown games about adventurer archaeologists. I'm liking it.
And the obviously evil bad guy sounds familiar! I think I heard that voice on Avatar: The Last Airbender and Jackie Chan Adventures before.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Darth_Payn said:
Unskippable has been on a "Like Tomb Raider, but..." kick lately, with these almost unknown games about adventurer archaeologists. I'm liking it.
And the obviously evil bad guy sounds familiar! I think I heard that voice on Avatar: The Last Airbender and Jackie Chan Adventures before.
It's James Hong I think. He plays a lot of villains. Also Po's adopted dad in Kung Fu Panda.

OT: xD The darker reboot of Crash Bandicoot bit killed me. I was thinking the same thing. Well done!

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Huh, based on that horribly long and boring title I assumed a 2D point and click adventure!

Villain: Check out my black suit and red tie
Briggs: I'm wearing an open shirt and I just complained my ass off about the heat.
Female villain: Psh, wuss! I'm wearing a sweater and a leather jacket!
Female villain, Whispering: (He made me, though. Old people... always cold).

Anyway, that is *not* correct scything action! The union WILL hear about this! (And 96% of members are grim reapers, *****!).

I was surprised how first he turns out to be the main character after all (thought Lara Croft rip off after he died).
And THEN I was more surprised how it's suddenly turns into a Dark Souls 2 rip off (?)!!!

Gosho, 2D point and click adventure games have come a long way since 1992, huh? :O

The best part: "You know, for tea! No reason...".
Extremely well done, made me lol big time!!!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
That was a pretty stupid move. No, don't just shoot him, use the priceless historical artifact instead. Brilliant.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Well... I guess this villain's downfall is going to be purely because he indulgently used the incredibly valuable ancient artefact as a murder weapon and then just... left it in the body.

Genius, pure genius.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Okay I was laughing my ass off that they stabbed the scythe through him so far it was sticking out his back like that.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Well, I guess that villain's gonna wish he had the translations before he had someone killed with an ancient magical and possibly cursed scythe.

Monoclebear

Robot enthusiast
Sep 29, 2010
This is actually a really awesome game.
I know the cutscenes look goofy but that is pretty much just because the devs really wanted their gameplay to be great and succeded.
It is a hack 'n Slash, God of War-esque thing that doesn't take itself to seriously. If you guys want some gameplay, here are some funny guys playing the first level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwZTgX4Pzxw