Unskippable: Metroid: Other M Part 2

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
Metroid: Other M Part 2

Samus continues monologuing her way through a space adventure.

Watch Video

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Dear God, Samus's voice acting is terrible. I'm usually not terribly bothered by bad acting, but that's . . . I couldn't possibly stand a whole game listening to that.

Ziam

Oct 20, 2008
I know right, I thought people were being over zealous when talking about her mono-tone voice. But now I can't believe no one said anything during production. The action sequences and her voice convey complete different moods.... She sounds freaking brainwashed.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Besides having to agree that the actual voice acting is down-right terrible... could Samus state the obvious any more?!

Soldier: "I'm angry!"
Samus: "The soldier was obviously angry."

Terrible stuff... doubt I could sit through an entire game of that.

Good show though.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
You could hold a class discussion over all the narrative problems in this game. I have no idea how Moviebob, Neverchris, and my friend chris and his older brother could like this game or how samus is portrayed. The only thing all those people have in common is that they are serious nintendo fans but I don't think that can be a saving grace this time around.

Also good one about the Gordon freeman thing the game probably would have been different if he talked and had terrible or odd dialogue.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
I have never played any of the Metroid games. Having seen this set of cutscenes, I feel no urge to do so.

My guess is that the voice actress thought that flat affect == badass detachment. Uh, no.

Neino Ranatos

Jul 12, 2010
Bloody hell, When they wrote this game, did they imagine "Motherhood" branded on a giant metal bat and imagine beating players over the head with it?

I mean holy shit....Baby is mentioned way over a dozen times in the last video, and she won't stop saying the word "Baby"...it should be a swear word compared to how grating it is on my ears!

OT:

I found this hilarious. Other M is an abomination and the commentary was probably the only thing that got me through these cutscenes. Especially loved the Gordon Freeman bit, but I'd picture them giving him a gravelly voice, or have him voiced by Nolan North.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
It burrrrnss. Oh man, that was bad. So bad. I can't even .... doesn't....

Ah well, at least I know that I didn't miss out by not playing Other M.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
I guess Metroid: Other M was Nintendo's way of telling us that Japan's Space Marine (i.e. Samus) is more bad-ass than the typical American Space Marine (i.e. everyone else in this game), simultaneously trying to win points with the girl gamers by making Samus a woman while slapping those same gamers in the face by making her an emotionless dullard who's only getting in the men's way.

Can I go back to playing Space Marine now? At least Titus has a reason for being stoic; he's a warrior monk. I'd rather see him and Lieutenant Mira making googly eyes in some deviantArtist's portfolio than this.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Neino Ranatos said:
Snip

OT:

I found this hilarious. Other M is an abomination and the commentary was probably the only thing that got me through these cutscenes. Especially loved the Gordon Freeman bit, but I'd picture them giving him a gravelly voice, or have him voiced by Nolan North.
Oh man. Considering how much Yahtzee loves Valve and Half-Life/Gordon Freeman and how much he despises Nolan North's voice acting, could you imagine how his reactions to that would be? Hilarious.

OT: What bad writing. It was as if three different games (One about Metroids, one about generic space marines, and one about a mother with daddy issues searching for her lost child) collided into one terrible monstrosity.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RJ Dalton said:
Dear God, Samus's voice acting is terrible. I'm usually not terribly bothered by bad acting, but that's . . . I couldn't possibly stand a whole game listening to that.
I'm just gonna say it. Is Samus an Elcor?

I. Am. Sad. His. Words. Cut. Me.

I haven't seen a character so devoid of emotion and personality since Neo.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
... Wow.

I didn't think the game (or, more specifically, the non gameplay aspects of the game) could be as bad as everyone said they were. I was wrong. This is horrendous. The VA is terrible but, let's be honest for a moment, the best VA on the planet couldn't make that dialogue sound good.

For shame, Nintendo. For shame.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Good god. Those cutscenes are truly terrible. They were so bad that I wanted to stop the video despite the jokes being great. That's how bad those cutscenes are. I mean, damn. I can hear Samus right now following up this post with "mjc didn't like the cutscenes and was close to turning the video off". Who wrote this crap, and who thought this voice acting was good?! And I thought FemShep sounded like a monotone robot. FemShep sounds normal compared to Samus. Good god.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Also, I really want to see a Metroid game called "Metroid: Anagram for Mother" now, because of how awesome and lazy it'd be.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Wow, when people said how terrible it is, I thought they were exaggerating but I'd probably cut myself before I reached the end of the game.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
Mmmmm, valium suit.

The saddest thing is that this is the intro, this what is supposed to hook you into the game. I would've turned off the game right there.

You just have to wonder how nobody on the team who was making this stood up during the "...and we'll call the ship Bottle-ship" or the "so they need a laser, and then she'll fire a rocket" part of the creative discusion and said "I think this is not that good".