Unskippable: Ni no Kuni - Shortest Quest Ever

Jhonie

Oct 24, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
I'm sorry, but was Mr. Drippy (or whatever it's name was) Scottish?
Nope. Drippy's Welsh.
Raku-Gosha said:
Man when I heard about this game my PS envy was through the roof! Level-5 and Studio Ghibli! How could it fail!!

" hmmm by pandering, padding, and cringe inducing voice-work and dialogue of course! " HRRRGHRHG

I got over it. Still gorgeous game. Would have been better spent resources on Rogue Galaxy 2 though. Guy can dream.
Which is why you always play Japanese games and watch Japanese anime in Japanese (with english subtitles) whenever the option is avalible, and in this case it is. They usually do far superior voice acting, partially as the job as a voice actor is very prestigeous in Japan. There, good voice actors are pretty much just as famous as movie stars.

Blackout62

Dec 24, 2008
Fat_Hippo said:
Don Reba said:
? I have to ask my mom?
? I asked your mom last night. She said, "yeah baby, don't stop."

That would have better suited Phil's character.
This is the dissonance almost any piece of media featuring kids in the "10 to 16 years old" bracket has to endure, because to have those kids talking the way they really do would be far too cringe-inducing. If the dialogue in say, Harry Potter, had been anywhere near the real thing, the sheer amount of dick and "your mom" jokes made between Harry and Ron would have anyone tossing the book out within minutes.
And that's exactly what made Super 8 brilliant.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Blackout62 said:
Fat_Hippo said:
Don Reba said:
- I have to ask my mom?
- I asked your mom last night. She said, "yeah baby, don't stop."

That would have better suited Phil's character.
This is the dissonance almost any piece of media featuring kids in the "10 to 16 years old" bracket has to endure, because to have those kids talking the way they really do would be far too cringe-inducing. If the dialogue in say, Harry Potter, had been anywhere near the real thing, the sheer amount of dick and "your mom" jokes made between Harry and Ron would have anyone tossing the book out within minutes.
And that's exactly what made Super 8 brilliant.
True, Super 8's best moments were definitely when it was being funny and telling the down to earth story of these kids making a movie, telling dumb jokes and dealing with their problems...but the dramatic parts were merely okay, and kinda pulled the movie down a bit for me, though I still liked it.

It seems like it's very difficult to mix "realistic" teenagers with drama that doesn't fall flat, so you either go full hog "inappropriate" (Superbad, for example) or you create the version of what parents wish teenagers were like (Harry Potter, Percy Jackson etc.). I'm not saying it's impossible, mind you, I just haven't seen anything which managed to pull of the correct tone (or tonal shifts, really) necessary for this kind of movie.