Unskippable: One Piece: Unlimited World Red - The Seven Seas Got Weird

Nubrain

Sep 17, 2010
I've watched almost 300 eps of one piece at this point (almost to the end of the water 7/Enis lobby arch) and there's still a lot of stuff there that made no sense to me.

the strange part is that some things are even weirder when you do know what's going on like the fact that franky (the shipwright) is a cyborg that put his only mechanical parts in after being hit by a train and that he's run by bottles of cola that go in his chest and when he runs out his pompadour doops....yeah it's that kind of show.

Jhonie

Oct 24, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
Hiramas said:
canadamus_prime said:
Wait wait wait! 35th game based on One Piece??? That's almost as many as Dragon Ball Z!! I had no idea One Piece was that popular.
It's the most sold manga in history says wikipedia and the TV show is also very popular.
Oh really? I've only seen a handful of episodes of the anime, and the 4kids version too, so I had no idea.
Wow, you've missed out, then. The 4kids version was an atrocity, and pretty much the reason that One Piece is merely a cult hit in the US. If you want to get into the series, though, I'd advice you to read the Manga, rather than watch the Anime. It's not exactly fast paced as it spends a lot of time on world-building, which just makes the Anime that more dragged out. I think the battle on the slope back when they recruited Usopp took at least four episodes, and that was way back in the beginning of the series, before things got complex. So yeah, go with the Manga if you do.

Also, if you do, be prepared for a very, very long adventure in a world that gets more complex and more crapsack for every book. Do not let the artstyle fool you. A comedy it may be, in part, but it is primarily an adventure story, and the world it takes place in is dark as fuck. It just takes some time before that becomes apparent.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
klaynexas3 said:
OT: You know, all the girls that I remember from One Piece did look pretty much the same in the face.
They look exactly like the same blow-up sex doll. The only difference is hair and clothing.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Jhonie said:
canadamus_prime said:
Hiramas said:
canadamus_prime said:
Wait wait wait! 35th game based on One Piece??? That's almost as many as Dragon Ball Z!! I had no idea One Piece was that popular.
It's the most sold manga in history says wikipedia and the TV show is also very popular.
Oh really? I've only seen a handful of episodes of the anime, and the 4kids version too, so I had no idea.
Wow, you've missed out, then. The 4kids version was an atrocity, and pretty much the reason that One Piece is merely a cult hit in the US. If you want to get into the series, though, I'd advice you to read the Manga, rather than watch the Anime. It's not exactly fast paced as it spends a lot of time on world-building, which just makes the Anime that more dragged out. I think the battle on the slope back when they recruited Usopp took at least four episodes, and that was way back in the beginning of the series, before things got complex. So yeah, go with the Manga if you do.

Also, if you do, be prepared for a very, very long adventure in a world that gets more complex and more crapsack for every book. Do not let the artstyle fool you. A comedy it may be, in part, but it is primarily an adventure story, and the world it takes place in is dark as fuck. It just takes some time before that becomes apparent.
Also, it has a damn good story and characters. Yes, Nami and Robin have huge busts, but unlike other series, it doesn't have as much emphasis. Also helps they have some of the best backstories in the series, though the current backstory characters in the Manga are getting up there. One Piece is very strange in design and with what it has, but it's actually a strong point. Unfortunately, a number of people don't get into the series because of that, which is a shame. Instead they read subpar to crap Manga like Naruto, Bleach, or Fairy Tail (not saying you can't like it, but those series are really bad as they keep going).

For those wondering about certain characters, the Tanuki and the guy controlling the Marines are characters that are only part of the game. They have nothing to do with the actual series. The character designs (default ones) are the current designs of all the crew.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
2 things I learned today:
One Piece is 17 years old, and it has 35 video games made about it?! I've only seen one, which played like Dynasty Warriors or the latest Zelda, and it may or may not be this one.
Johnny Novgorod said:
EHKOS said:
I will agree Nami and Robin are pretty much fan service
I think we can all agree on that.
And they're sent clothes shopping? If anything, they're overdressed as it is already.

captcha: rise and shine
...Mr. Freeman.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Evil Smurf said:
We need to get those girls some bras that support them, and pain medication, what sore backs.
She does have a bra, it's just incredibly ineffective at supporting the watermelons she's smuggling. And how can they get pain medication when the doctor can't open the aspirin bottle?
Actually, the doctor can turn into a more human version of himself. Complete with those neat fingers and thumbs you- I mean, we're all so proud of.

That's all I can really answer. No real idea of what the hell is happening with the story.
EyeReaper said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
klaynexas3 said:
OT: You know, all the girls that I remember from One Piece did look pretty much the same in the face.
They look exactly like the same blow-up sex doll. The only difference is hair and clothing.
To be fair, she did have Nami's figure when she was younger.

Though, she still had that face too. xD

Jhonie

Oct 24, 2011
Super Cyborg said:
Jhonie said:
canadamus_prime said:
Hiramas said:
canadamus_prime said:

Also, it has a damn good story and characters. Yes, Nami and Robin have huge busts, but unlike other series, it doesn't have as much emphasis. Also helps they have some of the best backstories in the series, though the current backstory characters in the Manga are getting up there. One Piece is very strange in design and with what it has, but it's actually a strong point. Unfortunately, a number of people don't get into the series because of that, which is a shame. Instead they read subpar to crap Manga like Naruto, Bleach, or Fairy Tail (not saying you can't like it, but those series are really bad as they keep going).

For those wondering about certain characters, the Tanuki and the guy controlling the Marines are characters that are only part of the game. They have nothing to do with the actual series. The character designs (default ones) are the current designs of all the crew.
True that. It's getting hard to keep your tears from falling after the last two chapters. Damn it Corazoooon! TwT

EyeReaper said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
klaynexas3 said:
And THAT's why it's a World of Gonk. :D
Don't mind them though, EyeReaper. Those are obviously the ignorant words of two who have not watched/read the series. They don't know what they're talking about.

Elthion22

May 22, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
Man I can't help to cring hearing their comment on that cutscene (huge One Piece fan here) but yet again I can't fully blame them since it would be weird seeing that scene from a newcomer point of view.
Also I want to know more about that game like why Aokiji is with Red or is Red a devil fruit eater that can make clone construct of people?
I can never get why they even release that other Unlimited game for the Wii when they made so few quantity of it in the UK (GAME didn't had it and the only place that I read that did got it was at Cex).
Explanation of Red's ability below, minor spoilers
[spoiler =Minor Spoilers]
So the Tanuki with the Strawhats is the thing that Red has misplaced and the Tanuki has the ability to create clones of people which is why Aokiji and Smoker are with Red, basically it lets you fight a ton of the villains from the series' history over the course of the game.[/spoiler]

Elthion22

May 22, 2009
Jhonie said:
Super Cyborg said:
Jhonie said:
canadamus_prime said:
Hiramas said:
canadamus_prime said:

True that. It's getting hard to keep your tears from falling after the last two chapters. Damn it Corazoooon! TwT

EyeReaper said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
klaynexas3 said:
Don't mind them though, EyeReaper. Those are obviously the ignorant words of two who have not watched/read the series. They don't know what they're talking about.
Yeah but all of that's pre-timeskip, unfortunately it's only gotten worse post timeskip, I'd be hard pressed to tell Rebecca from Scarlet or Viola or Robin if I was only looking at their faces.

Jhonie

Oct 24, 2011
Elthion22 said:
Jhonie said:
Super Cyborg said:
Jhonie said:
canadamus_prime said:
Hiramas said:
canadamus_prime said:

EyeReaper said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
klaynexas3 said:
Yeah but all of that's pre-timeskip, unfortunately it's only gotten worse post timeskip, I'd be hard pressed to tell Rebecca from Scarlet or Viola or Robin if I was only looking at their faces.
To be fair, Viola, Scarlet and Rebecca are kind of really closely related. Like, sister, mother and daughter-closely. It'd be more strange if they didn't look alike. Besides, are you forgetting the entire Fishman Island arc?
And those are pretty much just background characters, too. And what about Shirahoshi? You can't seriously claim you'd mistake her for, say, Camie, even at a distance. >_>

Burchy22

Oct 1, 2012

....And that pretty much sums up Nami.
It took me ages to get into this show because of the art design just being so bad, but if you manage to get past that and are able to reach around episode 30 the show shows just how great the story can be with the fishmen arc.

One piece is by far the best weekly shounen at the moment.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Elthion22 said:
While I will agree that it is worse after the timeskip, there still is a bit seeping through the cracks, like the Imposter Nami and Robin,The lolicon girl with Donflamingo...

But hey, One Piece is the only anime I know that has a fencing skeleton who was a rockstar, and a reindeer who can perform surgery, and a Soda-powered Cyborg who can wield support columns like nunchucks, and then put them in a pirate's crew. What more can I ask for?

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Ah One Piece. The only show that has got me crying over a bunch of guys burning a boat.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
So, Smoker was lobotomized or...?
Not to mention most of the other manic or insane characters... Sheesh. Thankfully there are boobies.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
I thought about getting back into one piece, but it´s probably for the best if I just remember the show for what it was and pretend it all ended in skypia.

Dickdatduck

Aug 2, 2011
DaViller said:
I thought about getting back into one piece, but it´s probably for the best if I just remember the show for what it was and pretend it all ended in skypia.
I think that Water 7, the arc that comes right after skypia, is one of the best arcs.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Jhonie said:
canadamus_prime said:
Hiramas said:
canadamus_prime said:

I know the anime was redubed by Funimation, but I never bothered to check it out. Although Funimation generally doesn't do a bad job. ...mostly.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Dickdatduck said:
DaViller said:
I think that Water 7, the arc that comes right after skypia, is one of the best arcs.
I usually put the Paramount War at the top, then Water 7, then Alabasta. All the arcs are good, and has something different. The current manga arc might replace Alabasta for 3rd place in my rankings, but I have to wait for it to end.

I meant to finish the game while I was home, but other things ate up my time (Hyrule Warriors, damn you). It is a fun game for big One Piece fans such as myself. If you only know a little bit about the series, or only have gotten into a certain point in the series, then it is not for you. I think that's how all the games are for any series really.

For those considering the series, or wanting to continue the series. The series is still ongoing, and will be going on for at least another 7-8 years. Despite what some may think, this is a series that shows something long running can still be great. Obviously with a big fan base, people will debate on what's good or not, and there are those out there that will stand and say pre-time skip was the best. I would suggest reading through the Arlong Park stuff, and if you're not hooked by then, you can be sure you won't care for it. For those who don't care for the art style, I'd still suggest trying it. You might like everything else that you can look past it, or as it seems for some others, you might grow to like it.