Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
EHKOS said:
So first time watching Unskippable...I don't quite understand what its purpose is besides comedy.
It's MST3K with video game cinematics. So how you feel about MST3k will probably translate directly over to unskippable.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Evil Smurf said:
We need to get those girls some bras that support them, and pain medication, what sore backs.
She does have a bra, it's just incredibly ineffective at supporting the watermelons she's smuggling. And how can they get pain medication when the doctor can't open the aspirin bottle?
Nope. No bras to be found in One Piece.

SandroTheMaster

Apr 2, 2009
Burchy22 said:

....And that pretty much sums up Nami.
It took me ages to get into this show because of the art design just being so bad, but if you manage to get past that and are able to reach around episode 30 the show shows just how great the story can be with the fishmen arc.
Aww, man. Nami's design was one of the things that initially made me give the show a chance.

"They have a short-haired ginger with loose morals and reasonable breast sizes? Well, she might just be an actually developed character!"

It turned out I was right... and then Oda subtly changed her design to "the hot chick" over time...

Oh, well, at least new characters never fail to give an impression.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
So,I usually skip these "unskippable" videos.
However....I saw a one piece thumbnail so I decided to give it a shot....
I don't even get it...just commentary to a topic they know nothing about...?

Conan_Edogawa

Apr 14, 2009
I am WAY behind on One Piece, but I know enough to not be confused by what's going on here. and that's a weird feeling.

"there's an afro skeleton, a doctor reindeer, a pile of muscles with robot arms, Mr. Fantastic's pirate cousin, the fan service twins, and a random assortment of other bizarre characters on a ship with a sun on the front." "no, yeah, that's completely normal."

daxterx2005 said:
So,I usually skip these "unskippable" videos.
However....I saw a one piece thumbnail so I decided to give it a shot....
I don't even get it...just commentary to a topic they know nothing about...?
actually, they MST3K all over video game opening cut scenes. it just happens to be One Piece this time.

Jhonie

Oct 24, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
Jhonie said:
canadamus_prime said:
Hiramas said:
canadamus_prime said:
Wait wait wait! 35th game based on One Piece??? That's almost as many as Dragon Ball Z!! I had no idea One Piece was that popular.
It's the most sold manga in history says wikipedia and the TV show is also very popular.
Oh really? I've only seen a handful of episodes of the anime, and the 4kids version too, so I had no idea.
Wow, you've missed out, then. The 4kids version was an atrocity, and pretty much the reason that One Piece is merely a cult hit in the US. If you want to get into the series, though, I'd advice you to read the Manga, rather than watch the Anime. It's not exactly fast paced as it spends a lot of time on world-building, which just makes the Anime that more dragged out. I think the battle on the slope back when they recruited Usopp took at least four episodes, and that was way back in the beginning of the series, before things got complex. So yeah, go with the Manga if you do.

Also, if you do, be prepared for a very, very long adventure in a world that gets more complex and more crapsack for every book. Do not let the artstyle fool you. A comedy it may be, in part, but it is primarily an adventure story, and the world it takes place in is dark as fuck. It just takes some time before that becomes apparent.
I know the anime was redubed by Funimation, but I never bothered to check it out. Although Funimation generally doesn't do a bad job. ...mostly.
The Funimation dub is a significant improvement, yes, but after having gotten used to the subbed version when one episode refused to load, which forced me to try the dubbed one, I could barely get through the episode. Eugh. Japanese voice actors seriously know what they're doing. American dubbers? A lot less so. Just pick the sub if you want to get into it. Trust me. The difference is massive.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Jhonie said:
canadamus_prime said:
Jhonie said:
canadamus_prime said:
Hiramas said:
canadamus_prime said:
Wait wait wait! 35th game based on One Piece??? That's almost as many as Dragon Ball Z!! I had no idea One Piece was that popular.
It's the most sold manga in history says wikipedia and the TV show is also very popular.
Oh really? I've only seen a handful of episodes of the anime, and the 4kids version too, so I had no idea.
Wow, you've missed out, then. The 4kids version was an atrocity, and pretty much the reason that One Piece is merely a cult hit in the US. If you want to get into the series, though, I'd advice you to read the Manga, rather than watch the Anime. It's not exactly fast paced as it spends a lot of time on world-building, which just makes the Anime that more dragged out. I think the battle on the slope back when they recruited Usopp took at least four episodes, and that was way back in the beginning of the series, before things got complex. So yeah, go with the Manga if you do.

Also, if you do, be prepared for a very, very long adventure in a world that gets more complex and more crapsack for every book. Do not let the artstyle fool you. A comedy it may be, in part, but it is primarily an adventure story, and the world it takes place in is dark as fuck. It just takes some time before that becomes apparent.
I know the anime was redubed by Funimation, but I never bothered to check it out. Although Funimation generally doesn't do a bad job. ...mostly.
The Funimation dub is a significant improvement, yes, but after having gotten used to the subbed version when one episode refused to load, which forced me to try the dubbed one, I could barely get through the episode. Eugh. Japanese voice actors seriously know what they're doing. American dubbers? A lot less so. Just pick the sub if you want to get into it. Trust me. The difference is massive.
Really? Japanese voices grate on my nerves. Also I hate reading subtitles.

Jhonie

Oct 24, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
Jhonie said:
canadamus_prime said:
Jhonie said:
canadamus_prime said:
Hiramas said:
canadamus_prime said:

It's a matter of habit and personal preference, I suppose. The Funimation dub isn't bad, per se, I just vastly prefer the subbed version, and I suppose that since I'm not from a primarily english-speaking country I'm just a lot more used to subtitles than the average american, so I'm really not bothered by reading them. I've been reading them since I was, what, seven-ish? Perhaps even earlier. It's pretty much second nature at this point. I don't even do it conciously anymore. Haven't for years. It gets easy to assume that it's that natural to read them for everyone, I suppose. ^^'

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Jhonie said:
canadamus_prime said:
Jhonie said:
canadamus_prime said:
Jhonie said:
canadamus_prime said:
Hiramas said:
canadamus_prime said:

It's a matter of habit and personal preference, I suppose. The Funimation dub isn't bad, per se, I just vastly prefer the subbed version, and I suppose that since I'm not from a primarily english-speaking country I'm just a lot more used to subtitles than the average american, so I'm really not bothered by reading them. I've been reading them since I was, what, seven-ish? Perhaps even earlier. It's pretty much second nature at this point. I don't even do it conciously anymore. Haven't for years. It gets easy to assume that it's that natural to read them for everyone, I suppose. ^^'
I just find the subtitles often go by so fast that I end up missing half the dialogue. Maybe I'm just a slow reader. Also I'm Canadian, not American. Did I mention that the Japanese voices grind my nerves? No offense intended to the Japanese, buy they do.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
The best part of this video is a bunch of the wise ass remarks they are making are actually accurate. "Oh, and this guy is wearing his padded sleep mask, he must have just been woken up." Yeah, that's Aokiji alright, that's accurate! Goddam I love One Piece, there is just so much charm to almost every single character, and every one of the Straw Hats are awesome.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
As a huge One Piece fan, hearing Graham and Paul try and decipher what the fuck is going on is probably the most fun I've ever had watching UnSkippable. You really tend to forget just how retarded this show can be when you've watched it for this long.

Graham's reaction to Brook was priceless

Jhonie

Oct 24, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
Jhonie said:
canadamus_prime said:
Jhonie said:
canadamus_prime said:
Jhonie said:
canadamus_prime said:
Hiramas said:
canadamus_prime said:

I just find the subtitles often go by so fast that I end up missing half the dialogue. Maybe I'm just a slow reader. Also I'm Canadian, not American. Did I mention that the Japanese voices grind my nerves? No offense intended to the Japanese, buy they do.
Like I said, it's a matter of personal preference. I was referring to both the subtitle and language issue with that line. And, well, Canada is part of America. When I say America, I mean North America the continent, not the USA specifically. ;)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Jhonie said:
canadamus_prime said:
Jhonie said:
canadamus_prime said:
Jhonie said:
canadamus_prime said:
Jhonie said:
canadamus_prime said:
Hiramas said:
canadamus_prime said:

Like I said, it's a matter of personal preference. I was referring to both the subtitle and language issue with that line. And, well, Canada is part of America. When I say America, I mean North America the continent, not the USA specifically. ;)
Fair enough.
Also I hate being called "American" and I hate being lumped in with the United States.

RavingSturm

May 21, 2014
Female character growth = breast enlargment. Have the Strawhats settled up with Blackbeard yet? I stopped watching/reading around Whitebeard war and a bit after that where everyone went their seperate ways to level up.

JayDeth

Dec 18, 2009
MiskWisk said:
Ah One Piece. The only show that has got me crying over a bunch of guys burning a boat.
True facts. And I thought that one episode of Gurren Lagann was sad (you know the one... ones). It's kinda amazing that the depth of the characters maybe directly proportional to the wackiness of their designs.

At it's core, One Piece is about a guy with stretchy arms and a bunch of weirdos gradually making a world full of other weirdos a better place via a strong moral compass and a devil-may-care attitude, but it's never afraid to put some low points in there to balance it out and make the highs that much higher.

Probably the most amazing thing the captain, Luffy (stretchy arm guy) has done in the entire series was when a Celestial Dragon (think Middle Ages European nobility squared times 10, gods among men in terms of power and influence who can, and regularly, do as they please), shot and wounded a guy Luffy was friends with, and not even close friends, he actually opposed Hachi early in the series before he did a heel turn. Anyway, if you're still following me at this point (congrats), Luffy, without hesitation and with the guy who got shot urging him to let it go, calmly walks up to the Celestial Dragon and annihilates him with a normal punch. And I specify normal punch because Luffy can bite a hole into his thumb to blow air into his body to make a fist the size of a house. Because One Piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB-2pNWspRo

Headbiter

Nov 9, 2009
See, there are two kinds of "I don't get it."

The One Piece- I don't get it, which derives from the author coming up with the weirdest shit he can and utterly and completely embraces that weirdness, turning it into an understandable part of the world.

And the Bleach-I don't get it, which stems from the author himself having no clue where he wants to go and constantly losing his post-its, so even though the world should be (relatively) normal, nothing makes sense or ever will.

Seriously, for all its weird shit (and it is absolute weird shit, don't misunderstand me) One Piece does an insanely good job of making this insanity comprehensible or at least acceptable. You know you did a good job when you introduce a GUN who has EATEN A FRUIT, which turns the GUN into a DOG.
No, I didn't mistakenly switch the words. THIS
http://tinyurl.com/l8qpmso

is not, as you might think a dog which ate a fruit that turned him into a gun. It's a gun that ate the dog-fruit. Weird as hell? Yes. Does it confuse a One Piece-reader? Not for a second.

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
In some form or another I've been aware of anime for about 20 years. In all that time, I've never really understood its appeal.

Is the whole point really just "here's a bunch of shit that has individually gotten decent ratings before on other shows. If we put it all together, everybody will watch!" Except, y'know, every anime show has the same pile of shit to choose from and the same basic plan. To be fair, I may just not get it. Is there some deeper meaning? Is the cleavage supposed to represent Sartrean existential freedom somehow? Does that make these things any less annoying and samey?

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
I laughed harder at this than I've laughed at anything recently. Great episode!