Unskippable: The Evil Within - It's Game Over Man

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
The Evil Within - It's Game Over Man

<center[/I]Everyone I've talked to is super dead.

Watch Video

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
What's with the female character? Did they forget to include her in the conversation until the last minute?

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Let's be honest, if you saw 3 police cars just abandoned there, you'd wait for the SWAT team. Or possibly the army.

I suppose the Ice Lice department just thinks they're that good.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
To me, it looked like they were trying to have Beckett from CASTLE in their game. And I'm still laughing at the line about the room smelling like fart. No t just farts, the very CONCEPT of a fart.

Also, the description looked broken, so I'll take a whack at fixing it:

Everyone I've talked to is super dead.​

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Please do a part 2 to this game, I want to see your reaction on that driver suddently became dead for no reason!

Jan 12, 2012
Alexander Kirby said:
What's with the female character? Did they forget to include her in the conversation until the last minute?
I think they were about three-quarters through the script when they realised they needed another character inside the hospital for the final scene, so they hastily wrote her into the beginning then shoved her into a plot-cupboard.

Eridani74

Sep 13, 2010
Alexander Kirby said:
She's a less competent Ada Wong from RE and runs away with the sequel hook in the end.
Other than that she serves little purpose to the story.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
God help me but I really want to play this game. Even if everybody keeps telling me how crap it is, and Unskippable doesn't help its case either...

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
If I were a cop and arrived at that scene I would wait for ALL THE BACKUP.

Because seriously... 3 empty police cars, lots of blood and bodies?

Ima wait for the cavalry.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
God help me but I really want to play this game. Even if everybody keeps telling me how crap it is, and Unskippable doesn't help its case either...

Evil Within is my favorite game of last year. I absolutely loved it personally. It plays very much like a slower-paced Resident Evil 4. It's not so much a 'scary' game but rather it has a lot of tension of being surrounded and overwhelmed by enemies. The gameplay itself is very satisfying with emphasis on making every shot count. Even the stealth sections in the beginning I think were quite fun(espescially luring enemies into traps).

I even think the story is much better than people give it credit for. It's kind of a mix between Shutter Island and Inception, not even Seb is as one-dimensional as you'd think. When you read his journals it kind of starts to make sense how his reality shatters and how it's tied to Ruvik(the main antagonist). Yeah, the dialogue is often hammy but that's another (probably unintentional)throwback to the game's 2005 design. The (classic) horror movie references were a nice touch as well.

Fantastic game if you ask me. But then again even before this game was released I kinda knew this game was destined to be a cult-hit. The game had mixed reviews with more people loving it though. So don't just take my word for it. :p

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012

Thank you for the review. The more I read about it the more it seems that the reception wasn't as mixed-to-negative as I thought it was but largely positive instead (see right), and I've mostly been biased by negative Escapist comments, as well as Yahtzee. I love ZP but I can tell he was largely influenced on his negative review by the fact he'd recently played Alien Isolation and The Evil Within's stealth wasn't as efficient or elegant as that game's, nor were the scares organic and so on. I find it really weird that he would complain about scarce ammo in a survival horror game though.

I'll play anything by Shinji "I made RE4" Mikami, specially if it is reminiscent of RE4, no matter how better or worse than RE4 it is (I love RE4). If I haven't gotten it already it's because it's $120 over here :(

JennAnge

May 15, 2012
Evilsanta said:
If I were a cop and arrived at that scene I would wait for ALL THE BACKUP.

Because seriously... 3 empty police cars, lots of blood and bodies?

Ima wait for the cavalry.
I was thinking the same thing. So few minutes of gameplay, so many outright violations of basic police procedure...And are all cops in Not York so jaded, that finding a blend of puréed doctor/patient in the lobby gets the same reaction as you'd expect from gang graffiti? I'd be hyperventilating into a paper bag before I got past the first potted plant.