Unskippable: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II

The incredible adventures of a professor and his ghost.

Watch Video

Jan 12, 2012
I like how the cutscene is just the regular in-game view, only with the HUD turned off and the camera apparently held by a drunk guy who's not quite sure how to focus on the action. I mean, the JRPG thing of just having drawings of the characters and text boxes is kinda silly, but at least it looks like someone is putting in some effort.

Also, well done to Neocore Games, a company based out of Budapest that still manages to hire voice actors that sound like 80's action movie villains.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Since reading the original Bram Stoker's Dracula, I've realised that Van Helsing is the Bobba Fett of Gothic fiction. For some reason everyone wants to put him in everything as an awesome badass monster slayer, despite him really not doing very much in the original source material. He basically just exists to explain shit to everyone else, but only after such information may have proved useful in thwarting disaster. He doesn't even fight in the final confrontation. In fact, the closest thing he has to a moment of badassery is killing some subordinate vampires while they're conveniently asleep.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:
I like how the cutscene is just the regular in-game view, only with the HUD turned off and the camera apparently held by a drunk guy who's not quite sure how to focus on the action. I mean, the JRPG thing of just having drawings of the characters and text boxes is kinda silly, but at least it looks like someone is putting in some effort.

Also, well done to Neocore Games, a company based out of Budapest that still manages to hire voice actors that sound like 80's action movie villains.
I think they do it like in Russia where its just the game developers doing the voiceacting.

I could be wrong but that's what they did in the U.S aswell until games started making sick cash. Some still do it, Blizzard has tradition for it and quite a few of their devs provide voiceacting.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:

Now I'm not sure which is weirder, what you described or what last week's Drakengard 3 video did.

At some point, in the Dr. Claw sound-alike bit, I couldn't tell where the original VO ended and either Graham or Paul's began. Well done, guys!

THM

Sep 27, 2014
'Scattered on the other side of the hole' as a way of describing something being up someone's ass.

Absolutely. Priceless. :)

Also, that Dr. Claw impersonation kicked ass.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I've got a game for you guys to do. If you're willing to do Steam games you should do The Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky. There's a gameplay bit where some characters are introduced and one is asked his name and he's like "alright I'm called..." and then back from cutscene it's something like 10 years later and he never formally introduces himself.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Since reading the original Bram Stoker's Dracula, I've realised that Van Helsing is the Bobba Fett of Gothic fiction. For some reason everyone wants to put him in everything as an awesome badass monster slayer, despite him really not doing very much in the original source material. He basically just exists to explain shit to everyone else, but only after such information may have proved useful in thwarting disaster. He doesn't even fight in the final confrontation. In fact, the closest thing he has to a moment of badassery is killing some subordinate vampires while they're conveniently asleep.
I will argue this to the end of time, but Van Helsing, conceptually, had a lot more pull to him in the original story then the other characters did. His "badassery" stems entirely from his knowledge and hold of the situation, whereas the other characters are seen as mostly stumbling or following his directions. The Van Helsing in this game is, funnily enough, his son, not him, so they certainly have that going for them. I sincerely doubt the story is somehow elevating or interesting, but so it goes.

But yeah, Van Helsing? Pretty awesome.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Huh, just watched those screenshots... Maybe I should've give this a whirl!

And, like everyone else already said; kick-ass Dr. Claw impression!!!
Too bad you didn't comment how his gun hand (?) waves around like it has no bones in it and is caught in a tornado.
Or how he jumps up instantly and seems fine after being trapped (?) under a huge rock, after falling down several stories.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Ferisar said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
I will argue this to the end of time, but Van Helsing, conceptually, had a lot more pull to him in the original story then the other characters did. His "badassery" stems entirely from his knowledge and hold of the situation, whereas the other characters are seen as mostly stumbling or following his directions. The Van Helsing in this game is, funnily enough, his son, not him, so they certainly have that going for them. I sincerely doubt the story is somehow elevating or interesting, but so it goes.

I agree with you up to a point. He does at least have a grasp of what's going on when no-one else does. However, as I said, he only ever seems to choose to share this knowledge after it might have proved useful. Even if you consider the likelihood of his theories being believed, he's still a trusted figure. How hard would it be to say "Hey Dr. Seward, don't let anyone go into Lucy's room at night and take down all that garlic I put up. It's kind of a big deal. Just trust me on this, 'kay?"

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Ferisar said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:

I agree with you up to a point. He does at least have a grasp of what's going on when no-one else does. However, as I said, he only ever seems to choose to share this knowledge after it might have proved useful. Even if you consider the likelihood of his theories being believed, he's still a trusted figure. How hard would it be to say "Hey Dr. Seward, don't let anyone go into Lucy's room at night and take down all that garlic I put up. It's kind of a big deal. Just trust me on this, 'kay?"
I think that's just a case of tension trumping practicality, on top of his character not necessarily expecting the rest of their little get-together to be stupid enough to disobey his order and advice. It's a bit silly, but there's that degree in that entire book. Also, lots of crying and emoting.

I do see what you're saying, though.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Why are they killing this?
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=230788&type=card
Do they not the combo they're going to lose to?