Unskippable: The Last of Us, Part 3

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
008Zulu said:
Arakasi said:
You may find this applicable and interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility_monster
Just replace utility with need.
No, that is the opposite of where I was coming from, think of the bible story The Good Samaritan.
I know that is the opposite of where you were coming from, but it is an argument, not an agreement.

Blue Baby

Oct 9, 2010
Mr.Fable said:
chkdsk1991 said:
Eric the Orange said:
chkdsk1991 said:
Guess what: you didn't actually manage to make it funny.
I'd say you are demonstratively wrong.
Then demonstrate.
Multiple people in this thread have said that they found it funny. Thus, they did manage to make it funny, to some, at least. So your statement is false.
I simply found the jokes to fall really flat, bear in mind that I didn't say that it's impossible to make a funny riff on this scene.

Gee, it's like humour differs from people to people...

I guess I have to stress the fact that my posts represent my personal opinion (unbelievable, right?)

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
008Zulu said:
Arakasi said:
I know that is the opposite of where you were coming from, but it is an argument, not an agreement.
And you were trying to tell me what I meant.
What? I assumed what you meant from what you said, as is the purpose of language.

Edit: Hang on, we have some fundamental misunderstanding here. I never tried to tell you what you said, I just posted an argument against the idea of helping someone simply on the grounds of need.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Arakasi said:
I just posted an argument against the idea of helping someone simply on the grounds of need.
Very well. I understand that there are those out there who won't help someone unless they get a reward out of it, I just don't get the "why" of it.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
008Zulu said:
Arakasi said:
I just posted an argument against the idea of helping someone simply on the grounds of need.
Very well. I understand that there are those out there who won't help someone unless they get a reward out of it, I just don't get the "why" of it.
Evidently you didn't read the link I gave you, it doesn't have anything to do with getting a reward out of it or not.

The__Doctor

Jul 4, 2012
If I was watching and playing this all alone in the dark on the couch, I probably might have found this all very emotional, but now I just laughed my ass off! :)

I understand that there are people who don't find it funny when jokes are cracked while a bunch of pixels representing a young girl dying are displayed on the screen, but yeah.. humour can differ from person to person. I for one, enjoyed this episode.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
I'm ashamed at myself for laughing.

For me, it actually wasn't the Crash Bandicoot thing but the whole "it's always got to be about you, Joel" with the "think we should tell him there's not God" bit that did it.

TheIronDuke

Nov 19, 2009
Yeah... children dying isn't funny, but there was no child dying here, just a plot device anyone who has been near a screen in the modern world has already seen hundreds of times. Later in the game things might become very emotional and moving, but here? A character who I knew had a 95% chance of dying from the moment the game started and had no importance or value except that which was put on her by the main character, and no character apart from 15 seconds of being "the daughter" and then switching immediately into helpless victim, dies as expected. Not exactly the most gripping of scenes. I'm not trying to be obnoxious about this and say "Durr, you guys are crying about a bunch of pixels!", since people can still make emotional connections with movies and books and games and bunches of cells too. It just comes across as nothing special as far as making the audience empathise, not just sympathise with the main character.

And, on topic, yes, it was quite funny.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
I intentionally avoided those 3 episodes up until now, because I knew that I wouldn't laugh at that, mainly because this opening scene really got to me, and this was no laughing matter in my eyes. Finally, I cave in... And I was totally right. While "From the creators of Crash Bandicoot" and "Robert Fucking" jokes were pretty good, I just couldn't crack a smile.

Here's a (ironically) funny thing - even though I was really moved by this scene, I played through the 1/3 of this game in one sitting... And never got back to it. After I turned off the console for that day, whenever I had a spare time, I wanted to do something else, no matter if it was hanging out with friends, playing other games, watching movies, TV series, animes or whatever. I just didn't come back, and I'm not sure why. But now, after this series of Unskippable I seriously want to go back to it.. If it wasn't for being 00:30 in my country at the time, job tomorrow, and then preparation for my New Year's Eve Party (yes, I broke the first rule of house parties, but someone has to, to actually make it happen).

So if anything, you guys made me want to get back to a game, that I almost forgotten about for half a year. Thank you (sincerely, no sarcasm here).

Also, now I feel a little bit melancholic...

Valkaris

Jun 8, 2010
Guess what guys? No girls have died. No need to feel bad about laughing. No one died, so there is no issue here.