Unskippable: Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta - This Looks Familiar...

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta - This Looks Familiar...

...But I'm sure it's nothing, given all the enthusiastic hand waving.

Watch Video

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Unearthed..

Why "Unearthed"? Was it on purpose? Was it an accident? Was it a prank?
It has to have been on purpose.

Right?

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
Did you guys just make this game on Gary's Mod while high? That's the only explanation for all the hand gestures I can see.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
"Uncharting mysteries"

I see what you did there, Unearthed. It was horrible and you should feel horrible for doing it.

Jan 12, 2012
I like the hand-talking; it makes me think that the dev team actually met an Arab person at one point, got them to do the motion capture, but that that Arab refused to record the voices.

Also, the fact that they can't decide whether or not to capitalize "Hecksos" in the subtitles is really bugging me.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
They also subtitled the text 3 weeks ago just in case you miss read it the first time

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Why did you do a PS2 game? Ooooooooh.... never mind.

Seriously, the intro is the most important thing for your game. And it has terrible lip sync and starts off with loads of lame text with lamer pictures... How is that going to draw people in?

Great adventurer btw; illegally carrying a handgun (I presume) but NOT enough sense/money to buy a HAT?
He's never heard of heat stroke? Or sun burn (arms too)?!
Plus, how is a huge cave that lies DIRECTLY on a wide road (they have a CITY car standing there!) super close to the pyramids and the MASSIVE city of Gizeh (right?) in the Valley of Kings (Right?) that has been dug up like CRAZY for ages not 100% explored?

This was a boring game to cover, and it showed. Sorry.
Next week: Ashura's Wrath part 4! THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Kenjitsuka said:

Seriously, the intro is the most important thing for your game. And it has terrible lip sync and starts off with loads of lame text with lamer pictures... How is that going to draw people in?

Great adventurer btw; illegally carrying a handgun (I presume) but NOT enough sense/money to buy a HAT?
He's never heard of heat stroke? Or sun burn (arms too)?!
Plus, how is a huge cave that lies DIRECTLY on a wide road (they have a CITY car standing there!) super close to the pyramids and the MASSIVE city of Gizeh (right?) in the Valley of Kings (Right?) that has been dug up like CRAZY for ages not 100% explored?

This was a boring game to cover, and it showed. Sorry.
Next week: Ashura's Wrath part 4! THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!
Actually the Valley of the Kings is nowhere near Giza, it's several hundred miles south, opposite Luxor. But yes, other than that, the pyramids lie DIRECTLY next to one of the largest most over-populated cities in the world, so anything buried there would almost certainly have been found by now.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Hand talking: not just for Italian gangsters anymore. You sounded more lenient on this game than I thought you would have.
Wait, is this really your 300th episode? Congrats, guys! HA-ROOH!
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lIr8u0j08gU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
One of these days I'll get embedding YouTube vids right.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Heh, I saw the magnanimus Jim Sterling ripping this game off in his Youtube channel and later with his review here on The Escapist. I had a popcorn binge that afternoon, it was quite entertaining, to say the least.

Kenjitsuka said:

I can think of quite a few dozen PS2 games with better intros than this POS.
Heck, even PS1 games have better intros!.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
That's some mad exposition there.

"So now that we're here and I'm about to risk my life for you, sister, would you like to tell me what on earth I'm doing here?"
*insert explanation as if they'd just met moments ago*

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
Hand talking: not just for Italian gangsters anymore. You sounded more lenient on this game than I thought you would have.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lIr8u0j08gU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
try

[ youtube=random numbers and letters at the end ] Without the spaces.

for example,

looks like what you were trying to do. (replacing "random numbers and letters" with lIr8u0j08gU)

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
Darth_Payn said:
try

[ youtube=random numbers and letters at the end ] Without the spaces.

for example,

looks like what you were trying to do. (replacing "random numbers and letters" with lIr8u0j08gU)
YES! Thanks! That's exactly what I was trying to do. What grinds my gears is how YouTube's own Embedding Instructions don't make that clear.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
You know what's really really sad? If they made it into a competent game whose only fault was that it was an Uncharted rip-off, I'd be very much interested in it - an action game with Muslim characters following the travels of a man, who's not well-known in the Western world done by a Muslim dev team - yeah, I'd like that. Unfortunately, the execution here is laughable.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
An 11 on metacritic. Congrats, I'd say they weren't even trying, but this just felt like they were trying to make one of the worst games they could. It just became a competition, they weren't satisfied until each department thoroughly failed in every way possible. At least it isn't big rigs, though.