Unskippable: Unskippable 100: A Guide to Cinematics

fielfuego

Dec 29, 2009
Oh noes! I JUST missed my opportunity to have the 100th post on the 100th ep! I saw the "99 comments" and I'm like "Yes! Serendipity, Biatch!"

Anyway... well done Onchei. ((sigh))

Oh yeah... and well done, Unskippable! ;-)

bawkbawkboo1

Nov 20, 2008
After watching this episode I went back and watched a bunch of them. Arc Rise Fantasia was really good because the cutscene was so, so bad, but my favorite is still Valkyria Chronicles. I started watching the Eternal Sonata one but that thing is just too long.

Tracer Kinship

Nov 20, 2009
Yo Dawg, I herd you like Unskippable...

Jim Grim said:
Ok, we start with a shot of a crow. We then zoom in on the back of the crows head and enter a first person perspective. A giant moon then falls and crushes the crow, leaving the crow unharmed somehow. The crow then catches a taxi to a non-destript country in Noteurope. The taxi driver narrates while text scrolls down the screen, telling of the long, boring political history of the country, with breaks so that the crow can ask vapid questions. And then the game starts.
You forgot to mention the nondescript time frame of the 19th year of Mooncrow.

Congrats on 100th episode, hope for many more to come.

Megido

Aug 24, 2008
You know, guys, "dread", is a strong word too. It's just on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Great episode, though. It's awesome to see all the useful tips for intro cutscene creation that you've gathered.

Chasmodius

Rogue Commentator
Jan 13, 2010
It's interesting to me that those are all legitimate and effective story-telling techniques... when used correctly. Even the silliest of those suggestions has been used well in one game or another (as Graham mentioned with Half-Life 1). The problem comes when other games simply re-hash those ideas badly, or use them as a crutch for poor characterization or storytelling. Even repeating the last thing someone said in the form of a question can be useful -- say, to illustrate that your main character has just received a life-threatening head injury and may have brain damage! :p

Wolcik said:
Too bad Half-Life isn't Unskippableable XD
Actually, that sounds like an intro ripe for the "Unskippable" treatment to me! Okay, so very little actually happens in 10 minutes, but there's still plenty to comment on. Best part: you can't skip it!

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
To my mind, the 'simple and clean' video at the beginning of the first Kingdom Hearts game is still the champion of all cutscenes. It's short, it's simple, it's visually arresting, it's got a great song with a hell of a melodic hook, and it manages to establish the main characters and atmosphere without shoving its junk in your face. Short, sweet, and to the point.

Deviluk

Jul 1, 2009
my favourite ep has to be omunisha 3. When Jean Reno is asking people how he got from Paris to medieval japan lol.

ensouls

Feb 1, 2010
You missed 'introduce any female characters via an ass shot.' Great video. The bit with the fake calendars is my favourite.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Count Igor said:
Hah.
I like the idea, but...
Doesn't this just mean you'll have to make even more Unskippable?
Again.
And again.
On those dreadful JRPG's.
The ones where you'd rather be outside having... *shudder* a life, for once.
Mmhmm.
Man, the way you put that, I thought it'd be an acrostic poem or something. You know, spells a word when you read it

l
i
k
e

t
h
i
s.

I'm kinda sad now. JRPGs do have some awful cutscenes though.

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
It sucks thet these kinds of cutscenes are the norm in the videogame industry.

Even worse is that a lot of gamers are impressed by them, day in day out.

Congratulations on stiking around for so long, Unskippable. You do an incredbiel service by openly making fun of the ridiculousnes that are cutscenes, especialy poorly written ones.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
You know, I thought at first that you were really going to talk about how to make a good cutscene. But this turned out way better.

Ghored

Mar 15, 2010
Took me a while to see that this guide was entirely sarcastic. It would explain my fits of laughter most of the video.