Unskippable: Watch Dogs - Hack the Mainframe (Or Something)!

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
Watch Dogs - Hack the Mainframe (Or Something)!

Well, at least they're not furiously typing on a keyboard in a van.

Watch Video

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Inspired by the Adventures of Lazlo Hollyfeld furiously hacking his screen saver.

Jan 12, 2012
You know, Maurice isn't very bright; you can't argue that you didn't know that you'd be hurting kids when there is literally a recording of you saying that hurting his kids is fine by you, one the guy played to you 10 seconds before.

Also, one button hacking? Aiden Pierce confirmed for script kiddie.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
We need you to take the guy out. But don't actually just kill him, kill his family and leave him alive. That should end well....

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Maurice doesn't really understand the meaning of the word "scare" does he?

I don't think physics would allow that toy sheep to land there.

You'd think Maurice would have a gun on him considering that he kills people for a living.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
For some reason title reminded of this moment from RvB

Sarge: What are you finding out, Simmons?
Simmons: Looks like all the Blue records are here, I just don?t have the access to delete them. I?m trying to work around that right now.
Grif: Well, try hacking the mainframe.
Simmons: This isn?t a mainframe system!
Grif: How ?bout cracking it, will cracking work?
Simmons: Grif, shut up! Stop making suggestions when you have no idea what you?re talking about!
Grif: Well, if you want help ?
Simmons: I don?t want help.
Grif: - maybe you should explain what?s going on, and I can make an educated suggestion.
Simmons: Educated? Okay, fine. This computer is a dedicated interface for a highly-developed security protocol. The information that we?re accessing is stored on a separate database with its own dedicated hardware. That system has its own distinct layer of security. From what I can tell, the two systems verify their identity by trading randomly-generated 2,056-bit encryption keys. I?m trying to spoof one of those keys now. So Grif, I?m all ears: any suggestions?
Grif: Aw yeah, I?ve seen that before. You should try uploading a virus to the mainframe.
Simmons: Jesus?
Grif: I find viruses that feature a laughing skull work the best.
Simmons: Shut the fuck up and let me work!

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010

It reminded me of this. That's a good thing. I was excited for Watch Dogs but never actually bought it, don't think I will now!

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I was waiting for you guys to do this game! I liked the Internet joke in the beginning and all the times Paul said "hack!" But no jokes lifted from HACKERS? A tad surprising.
canadamus_prime said:
Need to hack a mainframe? There's an app for that. ...apparently.
You can assume Aiden installed backdoors for himself in the CTOS before hand.

JohnZ117

A blind man before the Elephant
Jun 19, 2012
castlewise said:
We need you to take the guy out. But don't actually just kill him, kill his family and leave him alive. That should end well....
That's what happened to Job in this one story I read, and the guy that ordered that hit ended up pretty well.

1Life0Continues

Not a Gamer, I Just Play Games
Jul 8, 2013
anonymity88 said:

It reminded me of this. That's a good thing. I was excited for Watch Dogs but never actually bought it, don't think I will now!
And this reminded me of this infamous NCIS scene.

"In more serious terms, this trope has the potential to be socially dangerous. The reason why is because in some series, (particularly police procedurals) and in the media, this trope is used to give Real Life hackers a bad name, and as a general form of fearmongering. It causes technophobic audiences to believe that hackers are more dangerous than they really are, and also promotes the deeply disempowering belief that computers are arcane, mysterious, and hence undiscoverable things, which said audience could never possibly understand, except at the most basic level." [source: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HollywoodHacking ]

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Aww, they didn't reach the crazy guy who calls the police to distract people from your crime. So the police don't catch you...

A lot of stuff in this game don't make sense now that I look back on it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
"Popped collars" are a great defense. Nobody looks at you because they write you off as a douchebag.

Anonymity on the internet? But he's a hacker! He will just dox you and stuff! He'll IP your ping and router your mainframe!

Oh, crap. Penny Arcade beat me to it.

I thought it was amusing that you had an objective to shoot the guy, and you can't shoot anywhere else (I think that's what happened), and then the gun doesn't go off.

Roofstone said:
A lot of stuff in this game don't make sense now that I look back on it.
I haven't particularly got far in the game, but a lot of it didn't make sense while I was playing it.