Unsubbing from Netflix due to the password crackdown.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Sea Beast

Wu Assassins
and its superior sequel, Fistful of Vengeance.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Kind of a shame they don’t just have a share limit or something. I mean, even greedy Disney has that option. However it seems Netflix is feeling some pressure from competition buying out/stealing what used to be theirs. Lessening customer convenience factors won’t do much to expand their use base though, as evidenced by this thread for example.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Kind of a shame they don’t just have a share limit or something. I mean, even greedy Disney has that option. However it seems Netflix is feeling some pressure from competition buying out/stealing what used to be theirs. Lessening customer convenience factors won’t do much to expand their use base though, as evidenced by this thread for example.
The thing I've never understood well though... they do. There is (on my account anyway) a limit to how many screens I can have active. How is that not "enough" for them to curb sharing? They have pay tiers that allow more screens... I just don't get what they are complaining about when they talk about how much they are "losing" due to password sharing. I don't share a password, so I don't pay for extra screens. But I thought people that had higher tier subscriptions than I do ARE paying for multiple screens.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The thing I've never understood well though... they do. There is (on my account anyway) a limit to how many screens I can have active. How is that not "enough" for them to curb sharing? They have pay tiers that allow more screens... I just don't get what they are complaining about when they talk about how much they are "losing" due to password sharing. I don't share a password, so I don't pay for extra screens. But I thought people that had higher tier subscriptions than I do ARE paying for multiple screens.
Per the exact wording on the plans page "Only people who live with you may use your account." Those multiple screens just mean for example my wife can watch one thing in the living room, and I can watch another in the kitchen at the same time. It does not mean that I can sign my account in on say, my mother's television, and have her house hold functionally get free Netflix. That's what the mean by 'password sharing'. Although it would be more accurately called 'Account sharing', which any IT bible will tell you is a cardinal sin.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Per the exact wording on the plans page "Only people who live with you may use your account." Those multiple screens just mean for example my wife can watch one thing in the living room, and I can watch another in the kitchen at the same time. It does not mean that I can sign my account in on say, my mother's television, and have her house hold functionally get free Netflix. That's what the mean by 'password sharing'. Although it would be more accurately called 'Account sharing', which any IT bible will tell you is a cardinal sin.
And that's it. If I'm the one paying for the screens, it shouldn't matter one damn bit where those screens are. If I'm housesitting for my brother, and watching my one screen there at his house logged in to my account, according to that way of thinking... I'm somehow stealing from Netflix? If, and I would never do this, but If I left myself logged in at his place, and he started watching something. And I went home and tried to watch but was at my screen limit... that would be a pain in the ass. I'd call him and tell him to log the hell out. And if I subscribed at a 2 screen tier... I'm paying for the extra screen, why shouldn't I be able to let my cousin use the account to catch up on something. We're still not using more screens than are being paid for. Its just they are trying to enforce a ridiculous standard with this household nonsense. Really it just stinks of an excuse, something to tell the shareholders that has a solution (as stupid as it is) rather than just admit that numbers are down because people aren't trapped in their homes anymore, and they can't make the next pandemic hit before the end of the quarter.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Alright, fuck it. Petition to lock this thread. Gonna take a break.

Last edited: