Until Dawn's Choose-Your-Own-Horror Game Picks A Launch Date

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Until Dawn's Choose-Your-Own-Horror Game Picks A Launch Date

Supermassive Games' Until Dawn now has a release date and a preorder bonus that introduces yet another pair of victims.

The concept sounds a little goofy, but I have to admit I find myself looking forward to Supermassive Games' <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/until%20dawn?os=until+dawn>Until Dawn. The entire project <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138940-Until-Dawn-Horror-Party-Game>is reminiscent of choose-your-own-adventure stories, if they were horror games where friends died when you made the wrong decision. But the best part is that we don't have long to wait until launch: The PlayStation 4 exclusive has a release date of Aug 25, 2015, along with a pre-order bonus that features two new playable victims.

In case <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120109-NYCC-Until-Dawn-Preview>you missed the previews, Until Dawn follows eight friends trapped on a mountain retreat, each slowly realizing that something is stalking them. But instead of the usual survival horror sneaking or action-horror gunplay, Until Dawn takes a page from Telltale and asks players to make branching choices. Do you run from the monster or do you hide? Do you enter the dark basement to flip on the power or find another light source? These decisions influence who lives and who dies, and the challenge is to see you can keep around until... well, dawn.

Players who pre-order the game will get Until Dawn's extended scene, featuring a mountain sequence with a new couple, Matt and Emily. Since this is a single scene, I strongly suspect Matt and Emily are the characters who get murdered as the story begins, but who knows? Maybe they'll be lucky.

[gallery=4185]

The trailer itself isn't offering any answers, outside of implying that Until Dawn's "monster" has twists of its own. We'll have to wait until August to see if Until Dawn is another horror dud or gaming's answer to Cabin In The Woods - but at the moment I'm very excited to find out.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I'll admit the release date is set earlier than I thought it would be. It's nice to see a release date but I thought it would be somewhere in mid to late October. This looks like a pretty cool game though. If it's good and it does well I hope to see others like it with different genres.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
Looks not bad, but PS4 exclusive sounds the death knell for my interest. Much more interesting releases in the horror arena on multi-platform or PC exclusive anyway, like Friday The 13th, or Summer Camp:

Stars Kane Hodder (Friday The 13th 7 and 8) as the maniac, can't wait for that one.

A similar vein, but not exactly the same is The Hum:

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh man! Cabin in the Woods!...the Game!
I can't wait to not understand it all and wonder why they thought the dialogue and acting was enough to sell me on $20+ worth of DLC!

Hyperstorm

Nov 27, 2013
Finally a game that makes me actually consider upgrading from PS3.

Probably still won't though since after this the only games on PS4 are remakes, remasters, 8 bit games that could have been on PS3 and other trite excuses to overcharge for games I already have.

May pick it up for when I am convinced there's enough out there though.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
First Bloodborne, and now this? Argh! Sony, stop trying to make me buy your products!