Unusual Splinter Cell Mission Remains Secret For Years

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Unusual Splinter Cell Mission Remains Secret For Years

[gametrailers=348600 user=1]

A secret Splinter Cell: Double Agent mission that has the player rescue baby alien seals has remained hidden until now.

Videogame easter eggs are meant to be hard to find, but typically they'll be uncovered shortly after a game's release. That's why it's amazing a Splinter Cell: Double Agent [http://www.amazon.com/Clancys-Splinter-Cell-Double-Agent-Xbox/dp/B000CBZPDO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281630393&sr=8-4] easter egg side-mission appears to have been kept a secret for four years.

The mission is a pretty weird one, to boot. In the Xbox version of the title's co-op mode exist five hidden seals to rescue. Not Navy Seals, but baby alien seals from another planet.

To free Muffin, Pepperoni, Vanilla, Cookie, and Buddy, from captivity you'll have to do more than sneak around. This easter egg requires some adventure game-like activities, such as finding coins and bringing them to vending machines, and feeding seals the proper items. If you give a seal something he doesn't want, you'll fail.

Vimeo user Julien Daunais [http://vimeo.com/user2024307] (edit: who appears to have now deleted the video) and his friend, who happens to be Ubisoft Montreal level designer Simon Lasalle and the one responsible for the easter egg, created an 11 minute video to show off how the entire mission is completed. Evidently, they also just wanted to show the world that it exists. It's unconfirmed if other versions of Double Agent hold the seal mission, but it's definitely in the Xbox version. I wonder what other games hold awesome long-lost secrets like this?

Via: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5610777/splinter-cells-super-secret-space-alien-seal-mission-finally-revealed]

Markness

Apr 23, 2008
It's weird that remained a secret while stuff like the wybmd skull were discovered in days.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
First we have the Escapist weekly issue about punching a baby seal, now the reveal that a mission intent on saving baby seals has been kept secret for four years.

Is there no love for baby seals in this world anymore!?

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
I actually heard of a new easter egg in arkham asylum that pretty much one big foreshadow to arkham city.

In warden office, you have to spray explosive gel on the warden portrait and detonate it to find a secret room with maps and blueprints.

Yes, that was just found a few weeks ago,

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The Uru: Complete Chronicles easter egg took a while too... you had to find various things with obscure hints after a convoluted reverse-something-BLARGH and had to jump over an un-jumpable fence and walk in one direction BLARGH etc...

...and ended up riding a zamboni.

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
Markness said:
It's weird that remained a secret while stuff like the wybmd skull were discovered in days.
I think its because halo is more popular and more renowned for cooky easter eggs. Most people would think SC is too serious to have a crazy easter egg like this = less reason to look into the game's code.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
That's neat... Too bad no one seemed to find it before and expose it. Nice to see developers still have silly fun even in serious games.

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
Dr. wonderful said:
I actually heard of a new easter egg in arkham asylum that pretty much one big foreshadow to arkham city.

In warden office, you have to spray explosive gel on the warden portrait and detonate it to find a secret room with maps and blueprints.

Yes, that was just found a few weeks ago,
Yeah, Im suprised that wasnt one of the Riddlers puzzles.

That was very good though, especially the name Splinter Seals.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Hopeless Bastard said:
Further proof that stupid games just make stupid gamers.
Don't flame dude, it's not cool. That the devellopers could keep it hidden speaks well for them, not poorly of us. If you don't like the series, shut up. Otherwise, contribute.

It's kinda cool I guess. I doubt I'd have noticed it even if I was looking. I normally tend to stay focussed on the mission in these games

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
An easter egg is a good egg when its hard to find and these look pretty hard to find.

And when your game is dealing with a secret agent, your ester egss have to be super secret.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wow o.o that was hidden all this time? Geez...makes me wonder what else might be out there

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
It staying "hidden" that long is more symptomatic of it being at odds with what the game itself expected it's players to do than any amount of ingenuity on the developer's part.

And its funny that someone got permbanned for saying almost exactly that.