Upcoming games you think are going tank

The Hive Mind

Nov 11, 2010
There were a few pretty high-profile games that tanked last year, the most notable probably being Guitar Hero and Medal of Honor, each for various reasons to do with market saturation and whatnot.

Which (preferably AAA) upcoming titles do you think will crash and burn this year and why?

Oh, and here's a linky to most of the games coming out this year:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_in_video_gaming

For me, I'd say one of the main high profile games that will tank this year will be Homefront, for exactly the same reason that Medal of Honor didn't sell too well last year: over saturation of the market, but thats just me.

danintexas

Jul 30, 2010
I don't quite think it will tank - but the new Star Wars MMO I think will let down alot of people.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Well the game is out already but I still think it did badly(compared to what was expected). Bulletstorm. But upcoming games? hmmm... Dragon Age 2.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Going to have to go with Homefront. Despite its massive advertising budget, nobody seemes to care.
CAPTCHA: occurring Revat

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
id's Rage.

Just don't see any hype for it. Don't know anyone who's seriously pumped about Rage.

Maybe they'll pick up the pace, but I doubt that.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
JourneyThroughHell said:
id's Rage.

Just don't see any hype for it. Don't know anyone who's seriously pumped about Rage.

They aren't really telling us shit about it, either.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Pokemon Black & White.

I mean, can you say "commercial failure"?
Why do you say that? The Japanese version of the game was good and Pokémon doesn't seem to be getting much in the over of hype backlash.

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
Homefront just seems destined to fail. I've seen nothing interesting about that game so far, I hear the story is quite engaging which is why i'm kind of interested but other than that it looks like another "All I have to do is hide behind a box for a couple of seconds and i'm healed" shooters...

is anybody getting sick of the way regenerating health is used? it shouldn't be so quick to recharge.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
id's Rage.

Well, it looks like Borderlands with racing to me.

That's not bad, but I don't see it selling like an id title should either.

Apr 28, 2008
Medal of Honor tanked? It sold well over 3,000,000 copies. If thats tanking, then I hope to hell The Witcher 2 tanks.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
GiantRaven said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Pokemon Black & White.

I mean, can you say "commercial failure"?
Why do you say that? The Japanese version of the game was good and Pokémon doesn't seem to be getting much in the over of hype backlash.
That was sarcasm.

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
SHIFT 2: Unleashed.

After playing the first Need for Speed : SHIFT, I'm keeping my hopes up that the second tanks. It was a very pretty game, but they were flaunting how "GRITTY AND HARDCORE REALISTIC" it was when in reality cars handle nothing like that game did.

Also Driver : San Fransisco looks like it'll tank. Not that I want it to, I thought it looked like a pretty cool idea for a game, but I don't think it will last very long.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
JourneyThroughHell said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
id's Rage.

Well, it looks like Borderlands with racing to me.

That's not bad, but I don't see it selling like an id title should either.
From what I've seen, it's more Fallout with racing.

Borderlands was basically an FPS Diablo. Loot, loot, and more sweet loot. I see no loot in Rage.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

Borderlands was basically an FPS Diablo. Loot, loot, and more sweet loot. I see no loot in Rage.
Well, Fallout is less of a shooter than Borderlands, as far as I know.

So that was the connection I've made.

Rage is, after all, primarily a shooter.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
captainaweshum said:
Darkspore.
It comes off as fairly novel; though as Loki, Titan Quest, Fate, and Torchlight have shown me nothing can quite match the spirit of Diablo II. But I digress.

Homefront- I've seen little more than negativity over it's absurd premise, or just outright apathy. Can't say I'm surprised.
Rage- With Doom3, id shown me they've been stuck in a rut of generic games. Nothing I've heard about Rage has yet proven me otherwise. Although I am shocked that it's listed for all major platforms, since I had thought Carmack stated it was 360 exclusive.

Onyx Oblivion said:
Borderlands was basically an FPS Diablo.
Borderlands tried too hard to prove that and failed, capturing neither the letter or spirit of what made loot in the Diablo series great. Of course, this in turn wasn't helped by the shoddy game mechanics.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
JourneyThroughHell said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Well, Fallout is less of a shooter than Borderlands, as far as I know.

So that was the connection I've made.

Rage is, after all, primarily a shooter.
The setting remind me more of Fallout, too. Borderlands' "apocalyptic wasteland" wasn't very apocalyptic. Cars were common, technology was widespread. The people were extremely well-adjusted. They even had the ability to teleport vehicles to stations.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
The setting remind me more of Fallout, too. Borderlands' "apocalyptic wasteland" wasn't very apocalyptic. Cars were common, technology was widespread. The people were extremely well-adjusted. They even had the ability to teleport vehicles to stations.
Well, I'm purely guessing, I didn't even play either of them - my knowledge is all gameplay videos.