Upcoming Gears Of War 3 DLC Puts You In RAAM's Boots

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Upcoming Gears Of War 3 DLC Puts You In RAAM's Boots

Remember that ugly dude you killed at the end of Gears of War? Come December you'll get a chance to see his side of the story.

On December 13, Microsoft and Epic Games will release RAAM's Shadow, a new DLC pack for Gears of War 3. Alongside a chocolate-themed weapon skin pack and six new multiplayer characters, the add-on features a 3-hour storyline that takes place before the original Gears of War.

From the official press release:

"RAAM's Shadow" drops players into the events of Sera post-Emergence Day, as Zeta Squad is enlisted to evacuate Ilima City and protect the citizens against a Locust Kryll storm. Taking on the infamous Locust leader from "Gears 1," General RAAM, Zeta is led by Michael Barrick (from "Gears of War" comics fame) and comprised of familiar faces such as Lt. Minh Young Kim ("Gears 1") and Tai Kaliso ("Gears 2"), and also includes a new female comrade, Alicia Valera.

In addition to fighting as a new squad of Gears, players will step into the boots of RAAM himself, and for the first time storm the human stronghold from the perspective of one of the series' most legendary bosses.

While this DLC will set you back $15 (read: 1,200 Microsoft points) when it debuts, the press release goes on to urge players (via journalist proxy, I guess) to buy the game's Season Pass, a $30 option that essentially pre-pays for the game's "first four" downloadable add-ons.

I won't claim to have the same affection for Gears that many of you do, so I ask you: How exciting is this? Have you Gears devotees been praying for the chance to play as RAAM ever since that totally unfair fight at the end of the first game? Is this a known life-goal among members of the Gears community? Is Cliff Bleszinski looking down from his balcony at Versailles, urging you all to eat cake and be sated with this gesture lest he be decapitated at the hands of a roaring mob and their wildly unlikely, yet somehow totally apropos chainsaw guillotine?

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/25335276@N02/3802245508/])

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Play as RAAM, the best boss of the 3 gears games and it is set pre-E-Day and you get more Tai?

Yay, I'm pleased. ^_^

I am happy I bought the season pass tbh, on paper the DLC sounds good. Lets hope it's good in the game aswell.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
RAAM himself isn't that unique, apart from being an absolute ***** to kill. I'm more interested in seeing Tai back in action and seeing some of the comic book characters get their own spotlight.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
err...not sure how to respond to that last paragraph

lol but this is interesting. didn't buy the season pass, but I'm considering it (have until the first dlc comes out)

A Curious Fellow

Nov 16, 2010
Are we expecting this to have the effect of playing as the Arbiter in Halo 2, or the effect of playing as a Hurlock in Dragon Age: Darkspawn Chronicles?

Which is to say, are the Locust finally going to be portrayed as the poor desperate victimized creatures they are? Or is this just an excuse to be "hardcore" and gut some humans and be a "bad guy"?

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
A Curious Fellow said:
Are we expecting this to have the effect of playing as the Arbiter in Halo 2, or the effect of playing as a Hurlock in Dragon Age: Darkspawn Chronicles?

Which is to say, are the Locust finally going to be portrayed as the poor desperate victimized creatures they are? Or is this just an excuse to be "hardcore" and gut some humans and be a "bad guy"?
I think either of those options would be a good thing don't you think? You get to play as that big brute.

As for my answer to this news...

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I CAN'T WAIT TO DO THAT!!!!!
THIS COULD ALSO MEAN THAT WE COULD PLAY AS SKORGE IN SOME OTHER DLC TOO YOU KNOW!!!!!!
MAYBE EVEN THE QUEEN RIDING HER WAR BEATLE!!!!!!

*whew* Sorry about that. I kinda got over-excited there didn't I? Anyway, this is really exciting to me. After I played through Beast mode I was thinking they could've added General RAAM to the list of monsters too since all RAAM is is a super-charged Theron.

An idea for some other DLC would be a few new beasts to play as in Beast mode; since there are a few gaps in the second and fourth tiers, why not give us the Grinder to play with or just for shits and giggles why not one of the Lambent?

Anyway, playing as RAAM is going to be so much fun but I have just one question, will we be using RAAM's sword to kill the humans or will we be weilding the troika cannon and mow them down like the weaklings they are?

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
I want more multiplayer maps, dammit! And not just for Horde and Beast :mad:!

That said, this is pretty awesome. More story never hurts, especially since it has Tai.

A Curious Fellow

Nov 16, 2010
ssgt splatter said:
A Curious Fellow said:

I think either of those options would be a good thing don't you think? You get to play as that big brute.

As for my answer to this news...

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I CAN'T WAIT TO DO THAT!!!!!
THIS COULD ALSO MEAN THAT WE COULD PLAY AS SKORGE IN SOME OTHER DLC TOO YOU KNOW!!!!!!
MAYBE EVEN THE QUEEN RIDING HER WAR BEATLE!!!!!!

*whew* Sorry about that. I kinda got over-excited there didn't I? Anyway, this is really exciting to me. After I played through Beast mode I was thinking they could've added General RAAM to the list of monsters too since all RAAM is is a super-charged Theron.

An idea for some other DLC would be a few new beasts to play as in Beast mode; since there are a few gaps in the second and fourth tiers, why not give us the Grinder to play with or just for shits and giggles why not one of the Lambent?

Anyway, playing as RAAM is going to be so much fun but I have just one question, will we be using RAAM's sword to kill the humans or will we be weilding the troika cannon and mow them down like the weaklings they are?
Both can be good. But Gears has, thus far untapped, potential for depth. I like my games to have depth.

Itsthefuzz

Apr 1, 2010
I hadn't played GoW 1 or 2 in so long that when 3 came out all I could remember was "I swear there was a badass dude in a big coat in one of those games." I got GoW 3 and found it enjoyable, but didn't plan on getting DLC since I'm not a huge buyer of DLC... but this intrigues me.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
As long as the dlc actually answers some serious fucking questions regarding the plot, I'll be happy.

Hell, even if it doesn't, I'm still exctied... I'm a serious Raam fanboy, and I miss him in multiplayer.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
Glad I already bought he season pass. I missed Raam as a multiplayer character, and being Raam in a mission with locus just sounds plain awesome.

Jul 9, 2008
A Curious Fellow said:

Poor, desperate, victimized...you know they per-emptively tried to genocide the human race without making contact with any besides Adam Fenix, right? That doesn't strike me as "victimized".

INF1NIT3 D00M

Aug 14, 2008
therandombear said:
Play as RAAM, the best boss of the 3 gears games and it is set pre-E-Day and you get more Tai?

Yay, I'm pleased. ^_^

I am happy I bought the season pass tbh, on paper the DLC sounds good. Lets hope it's good in the game aswell.
RAAM was pretty much the ONLY boss in Gears of war, not counting the Berzerkers.
A Curious Fellow said:

Poor, desperate, victimized...you know they per-emptively tried to genocide the human race without making contact with any besides Adam Fenix, right? That doesn't strike me as "victimized".
See, A Curious Fellow, your question is answered. Being RAAM means playing as an asshole for a few minutes. You get to be a jerk, because finding refuge for your people means taking land away from humans. And humans like their land. So that makes you a jerk.
This one's always been schizophrenic. They spend Gears 1 and most of Gears 2 making the locust inhuman monsters in order to not have to come up with an excuse for killing human-shaped enemies. Then at the end of Gears 2 and at points during Gears 3, they tried to humanize the Locust by giving them the motivation of "running from lambent". It's bad writing all around, but then they get to add in strange alien enemies that they now have the money to build their game around. The devs decided at the end of Gears 3 that all the humanizing has no effect on marcus (which effectively cemented the fact that he is not human) and that the locust are assholes, so it shouldn't have affected us either. Those assholes tried to take our land, then had the audacity to ask us not to genocide them off the face of the earth along with the lambent. The nerve of them, honestly.

Half the team is made up of people who don't care about the story and just want big setpieces and unanimously evil enemies, the other half desperately want this franchise to have a halfway decent story and some grey and Grey morality. Writing like that causes a big mess. So that's what this game is, a big lame mess.
The DLC will be a big lame mess too.

TheLoveableMuffin

Jun 11, 2011
I wonder what size boot RAAM actually is...? And I hope they don't do multiplayer 'Diddy RAAM' where they shrink him to make him equal in size just to get away with keeping the same combat animations and such malarky. I want 9foot tall walking death thank you Epic.