Update: Call of Duty: Ghosts Has 50 GB Install

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Not even my p0rn stash takes up that much space o0

Will be curious to see how game ends up, with so much packed it it must an orgy of features and gameplay.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
mad825 said:
SkarKrow said:
Wait I just re-read this.

50GB is 10% of normal peoples hard drive space on steam?

Most of steam has only ONE 500GB drive?

Are you kidding me? Jesus people those things are a rip off you should at least be buying 2TB Barracuda HDD's for your mass storage they only cost like £60.
Yeah, I wouldn't call that a great quality HDD. Sometimes it's better to get storage devices with better data transfer rates by sacrificing storage space,this is a particular problem people who just brought SSDs.
Well I've never had a barracuda die on me yet and they make a great mass storage solution with good reliability, they're reasonably quick and are great for just storing piles of stuff.

I won't doubt that SSD's and current gen hybrid drives are a faster and more effective solution though. I'm more of a boot-SSD kinda guy, since a load time in game doesn't bother me and my rig exists mostly for gaming.

darron13

Jul 30, 2008
It's Call of Duty, it isn't exactly an open world RPG with hours of dialogue and a massive world, what the heck is making up all that space?

darron13

Jul 30, 2008
Evil Smurf said:
Neronium said:
Evil Smurf said:
50 meg would only take a couple of minutes to download at the most. 50 gig a couple of hours.
If you have a decent internet, and are connected into a good enough router, or possibly the modem itself.
If I were to try and download this, it'd take at least a whole day for me.
Oh it be all day for me too :(
Wow you people have some fast internet...my download caps out at 200kb/s so...maybe a few days for me. Not that I'm getting the game but still, that's insane

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
Wow, considering Rage takes up 25GB and looks twice as good as Ghosts in my opinion, I'd say this is one Hideously badly optimised game. Those of you who are buying Ghosts, have fun, but I'm out. Also, jesus, a 500ti's a Minimum? I'm gonna need a new GPU in a little while *le sigh*

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
FizzyIzze said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
FizzyIzze said:
I haven't purchased a physical game disc since Yuri's revenge, so I wonder what the retail, disc version of this game would look like. I mean what the box would look like, on a shelf. They wouldn't do a Blu-ray retail version I imagine, simply because not a whole lot of people have Blu-ray drives in their PCs. So, assuming they release a physical, DVD version of this game, how many DVDs would be required? Five or six with compression?

Maybe it would be the size of a regular PC game box, but just super heavy. People would think it was a collector's edition or something.

And imagine being so sick of the chore after downloading it off of Steam that you try to back it up locally. Just imagine:

[STEAM]: "Please insert disc 1 of 20."

My guess is, assuming it gets a basic release on DVDs, and not just some primo collector's edition, it'll use one of those oversized DVD cases they used for PC games around 2005. They were kind of a transition between the downsized cardboard boxes and the regular DVD cases games come in today. Same form factor, but made of heavy plastic instead of thin cardboard. Or to put it another way, a DVD case roughly three normal cases thick, with a spindle in the middle with room for 5-ish discs. Like the things a lot of TV seasons come in, but with a spindle instead of folding trays.

Anyway, the most ridiculous example I've seen or owned is the complete Battlefield 1942 collection. It's Battlefield 1942, all the expansions, plus the Battlefield Vietnam spinoff. The collection was released in 2004 or 2005, so it really should have come on one or two DVDs, but it didn't. It came on eight CD-ROMs, just a re-pressing of the old World War II collection and the final version of Vietnam with new labels. Two of the discs don't even fit on the spindle, they fall out as soon as you open the case, and knock loose inside of it if you're not careful when moving it around. It's insane, and it takes about ten times longer to install than it should because of the limits of even a 52X CD drive.
Ah, of course, you're right! In addition to not having bought a PC disc in a long time, I haven't bought DVD movies in years either. It would be just like a box set, which would be pretty compact. Looking at my Alien Blu-ray collector's edition, that houses six Blu-ray discs in a pretty cool case with everything secure. That's six discs max though.

That sucks about the Battlefield collection. I remember only one collection that shipped several discs on a single spindle, and that was a bargain basement military collection that cost under $8 on Amazon.
I only paid $10 new (but old stock, obviously) myself. The discs are all in decent shape and it's not like I need to install constantly, so it's more of a conversation piece than anything else. Must have sucked for anyone who bought it on release, though.

Several discs on one spindle at least used to be pretty common, but it's typically 2 or three, and I've never seen more than five with that particular setup outside of that Battlefield collection.

Darth_MAM

May 13, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
Fucking christ, excuse me?
That's coming up to MMO size. Hell, that's bigger than older MMOs, what the fuck's using all that space?
Space, literally space. Remember the trailer, where they're fighting with guns and cover... IN SPACEEEEEEEE!!!... and dogs.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Bonk4licious said:
It's a big download for TOTAL IMMERSION these days.
Total immersion in the blandest bucket of Tom Clancy paste perhaps.
With the finest HD *plop* sound they could create.

Jinjer

Jun 16, 2012
Well to date the only CoD game I played is MW2. As if I needed another reason not to shell out for another one. Sweet FSM, that game is the size of a pregnant aircraft carrier!

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
hazabaza1 said:
That's coming up to MMO size. Hell, that's bigger than older MMOs, what the fuck's using all that space?
Desert Punk said:
Dear fucking god, that is 1/3 of my god damn broadband data cap for ONE FUCKING GAME!

They really need to reign in this space bloat.
thatonedude11 said:
Is that a typo? Please tell me that is a typo.

Edit: Hell, all of those specs look really high for the minimum specs. 6GB of Ram! 550 Ti! Core 2 Duo processor (okay, not that so much). Are you sure those aren't the recommenced specs for the game NVidia?
CkretAznMan said:
That's over the amount of space that League takes up, but that's the only game which I'm using as a reference. This is still kind of too much, though.
So if I make a first person shooter for PC with lower download size but also worse graphics, you guys who complained would all buy it instead of Call of Duty, right?

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
So they are at once battling both piracy and FOR digital distribution? Seems legit. I don't think any compression algorithm will reduce that down to 2 discs... unless there are a lot of redundancies or resources are created from combined sources to reduce boot/run-time/loads.
Evil Smurf said:
Dragonbums said:
Holy Christ.

50 megabytes?

What the hell are they doing?

Don't even get me started on bandwidth and download speeds.
50 meg would only take a couple of minutes to download at the most. 50 gig a couple of hours.
1GB = 1000MB (1024 but we'll go with simplicity and generosity)
thus if
50MB = 2m
then
50GB would take
(50MB = 2m) * 1000
considering 1m = 1 / 60h
2000m / 60 = 33.3(3)h

that would be 33 HOURS

WarpZone said:
So if I make a first person shooter for PC with lower download size but also worse graphics, you guys who complained would all buy it instead of Call of Duty, right?
Don't try too hard, you might pop and make a big mess.

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
These companies are starting to get TOO GREEDY! Now they are forcing "Updates" on they believe "their" software/hardware that you own.

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
Give us Call of duty gameplay with minecraft graphics and explosions and destruction and the game would be under 50MB.

Esspytood

no Yabou
Dec 15, 2008
From what I've seen, they still do that crazy 'sell boxed copies of PC games' thing in stores, so you could just do that rather than shell out for a bigger cap... I wonder which would be cheaper?

Also the 'install size' doesn't always necessarily apply to the 'install files' which usually expand themselves upon installation, so there is a slight chance you may be downloading a lot less... say, a mere 40 GB.

Of course, if you don't feel like investing in that. Maybe just don't play this one?

You could even pass on this one and use the money from that to buy more storage!

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
I remember when what feels like not so long ago, 50gb was my entire HD. What in the holy name of fuck needs so much space? And what the hell is with 6gb RAM and the 780?

Most people around my part of the world - Aus and NZ - that's at least half their monthly download cap.

Evil Smurf said:
Rabish Bini said:
hazabaza1 said:
The extensive COD campaign which all players know and love.
The AI now calls you a ****** if you are playing offline (to simulate the Xbox Live community). That takes up a lot of space.
huehuehue, got a good laugh out of me. Thank you.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
This just in: games in a new generation tend to be larger than games in the previous generation.