Update: Chick's Dark Dungeons Film Seeks Kickstarter Cash

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
octafish said:
Ahhh Dark Dungeons, I remember my mothers concern caused by this based on hearsay. Once she actually read the thing she went out.and bought me the Oriental Adventures Source Book.
So, you didn't even bother to cast a mind bondage spell on her first? What the hell were you doing wasting all that valuable training time for, then?

jrralls

Apr 23, 2013
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Heck, /I'm/ tempted to chip in the $20 to get a DVD, and I've never kickstarted anything before. I'd probably do it if I weren't flat broke.
If you Kickstart just a dollar you get to receive behind-the-scenes updates on the making of the movie.

jrralls

Apr 23, 2013
sketch_zeppelin said:
I really don't know how to feel about this being made into a movie.
The makers of Mystery Science Theater 3000 used to say, ??we never ask, ?Who?s gonna get this?? We always say, ?The right people will get this.??

thomaskattus

Dec 15, 2011
jrralls said:
maninahat said:
Best emailing him through his own blogs, I guess. He has a blog for both moviebob [http://moviebob.blogspot.co.uk/] and the game overthinker. [http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.co.uk/]
Unfortunately I looked and didn't see anywhere on his blogs where one could contact him.
He can also be contacted on twitter: @the_moviebob

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
I find it hilarious that this guy (or some one posing to be this guy) is posting here when the only reason we'd want this to exist is to mercilessly mock it for being so horribly irrelevant XD

Get with the times bro, the 'concerned parents groups' moved on to video games. Keep up if your gonna pick a baseless 'think of the children' crusade to to take up.

Mocmocman

Dec 4, 2012
sketch_zeppelin said:
It reminds me of the comic strips the Religious nut bags would hand out for halloween instead of candy when i was a kid. same kind of heavy handed "If its not jesus your going to hell" narrative.
I believe it's the same artist, looking at some of his other comics. Here is some of his other stuff. [http://www.chick.com/catalog/tractlist.asp]
Here's one for Halloween. [http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0058/0058_01.asp]

I don't know if those are the ones you got but they are the same as at least one of the ones my sister got one time. They don't tell the real story though; Hell is reserved for those who give out religious propaganda instead of candy on Halloween.

I wouldn't worry about the movie. I suspect that although the comic was taking itself seriously the movie is in no way trying to.

Alluos

Nov 7, 2010
This has to be some kind of satire, right? According to him the comic teaches us that:
Playing RPGs can make you gain real life magic abilities
But people seem genuinely offended he wants to make this movie...
Maybe my sarcasm-sense is a little off these days, ionno.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Lunar Templar said:
I find it hilarious that this guy (or some one posing to be this guy) is posting here when the only reason we'd want this to exist is to mercilessly mock it for being so horribly irrelevant XD

Get with the times bro, the 'concerned parents groups' moved on to video games. Keep up if your gonna pick a baseless 'think of the children' crusade to to take up.
Lrn2satire.

Just because it's played straight-faced doesn't mean it's not hilarious on purpose. Ever been to The Onion? The Kickstarter page's video feels very similar... for a reason.

Also, the fact that the guy references MST3K is very telling.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
jrralls said:
maninahat said:
Best emailing him through his own blogs, I guess. He has a blog for both moviebob [http://moviebob.blogspot.co.uk/] and the game overthinker. [http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.co.uk/]
Unfortunately I looked and didn't see anywhere on his blogs where one could contact him.
Oooh, in that case, I can only suggest either going to a phone book, or emailing the escapist at the bottom of the page for contact details.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Okay, I hadn't heard of it before now, and from the panels shown, I had thought that it was some form of webcomic about DnD.

Now, I looked it up.

Is this...parody? Is this serious? Is this the real life, is this just fantasy?

Either way, this is hilarious.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
Oh God, you've got to be kidding me. Folks, we managed to get rid of Jack Thompson and Michael Atkinson got driven out of the Australian Attorney General's seat as well as from the Cabinet, let's not give the anti-gaming crowd back any footholds.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
octafish said:
Ahhh Dark Dungeons, I remember my mothers concern caused by this based on hearsay. Once she actually read the thing she went out.and bought me the Oriental Adventures Source Book.
Good brother, good. You managed to deceive another pure soul. I hope you managed to corrupt her, too, by getting her to play

Doclector said:
Is this...parody? Is this serious? Is this the real life, is this just fantasy?
No, it's totally caught in the landslide and no escape from reality. Wait, I mean yeah, Jack Chick is real and apparently serious. And by the way, he knows more about science than you, I bet - he knows exactly why the dinosaurs went extinct

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
I am really looking forward to this. As a dm of many years, I found dark dungeons to be hilarious.

Then I realised it was not satire, it was serious religious propaganda.

Then it was even funnier.

delroland

Sep 10, 2008
As someone who had his parents burn his D&D books because of crap like Dark Dungeons, I can't really justify backing a film version, even if it is delivered in deadpan comic style.

Furthermore, I don't feel the source material is relevant enough today to garner enough viewers to make this film viable. Almost no one will get the context, and thus they won't get the humor. Even within the hobby most people today are unaware of the 70s-80s D&D hysteria.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
Oh my God. It's that Jack Chick. It really is. I had a double take when I saw the topic and though "surely not. Who is this other famous Jack Chick I've never heard about".

Wow. I'm actually kind of tempted to contribute to this. Just because... why wouldn't you?

It would be too amusing.
WanderingFool said:
Well, if peopl want to throw away money, maybe I should start a kickstarter...
Make a good video game about a vampire girl and you have my money.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
EstrogenicMuscle said:
Oh my God. It's that Jack Chick. It really is. I had a double take when I saw the topic and though "surely not. Who is this other famous Jack Chick I've never heard about".

Wow. I'm actually kind of tempted to contribute to this. Just because... why wouldn't you?

It would be too amusing.
WanderingFool said:
Well, if peopl want to throw away money, maybe I should start a kickstarter...
Make a good video game about a vampire girl and you have my money.
Explain, and while you do, Ill take notes...

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
I'm oddly interested in this. Maybe it's the fact that the movie is based on the only Jack Chick comic that I can honestly say is funny as hell. Maybe because I feel that contributing to this project would make for an odd story to tell my nephew when he's old enough. Or maybe it's because I goddamn love Oregon (and while Portland isn't my favorite place in Oregon, it's in my top five) and any excuse to drive up for a few days is a good excuse in my book.

eljawa

Nov 20, 2009
jrralls said:
maninahat said:

Hi. I want to donate, but I'm curious, will you be directing? What (if any) experience do you have with filmmaking. Do you have any samples of you or your crews work we can see?

Sorry if this seems rude, I just like to get a sense of where my money is going

Regardless, looking forward to this!