Update: Deus Ex Voice Actor Warns of Deadly Illuminati Fruit Flies

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Update: Deus Ex Voice Actor Warns of Deadly Illuminati Fruit Flies

Whatever's gotten into Stephen Shellen, he probably never asked for this.

Stephen Shellen, best known as the voice actor for Deus Ex: Human Revolution's David Sarif, has holed up in an undisclosed location to hide from Illuminati agents and their fully equipped fruit flies.

No, really. A video featuring the voice actor's paranoid rambling has been uploaded to YouTube. Shellen warns the world that we are under attack in our own homes, from inconspicuous specks that he has identified as "fully fucking equipped Area 51 deadly dangerous fruit flies." These tiny agents of terror are allegedly shooting vaccines into us, as well as being armed with some "alien form of laser."

In other words, Shellen is quickly approaching Charlie Sheen levels of bonkers. Many have noted that the video is far too well-cut to be the product of true insanity. The fact that Shellen is so deeply entrenched in the conspiracy could mean that this is all part of a viral marketing campaign for another Deus Ex game, a series built from layers upon layers of conspiracy theories.

Shellen's Wikipedia page [http://www.neowin.net/news/david-sarifs-voice-actor-self-destructs-blaming-illuminati] has undergone heavy revision over the past few days, with changes including adding his date of death as the 30 and inserting "Icarus has found you" (a reference to a warning from the original Deus Ex). At the time of this writing, the page is locked due to "persistent vandalism."

Update: Thanks to part of a channel [http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=16841&cpage=1#comment-291885] of similarly outlandish conspiracy theories and "a generous dose of humor."

This is not to say that this is conclusively staged - there isn't enough information to tell whether the Hobo Steve character is purely fictional or a persona Shellen uses to express his actual beliefs on the channel. Either way, it's safe to assume that this has nothing to do with the Deus Ex franchise.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kp-vQ92L-0&feature=plcp]

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Are people really still going on about the Illuminati? Guys, the Da Vinci Code is not real. Now please, just shut up.

Viper114

Dec 3, 2008
Fingers crossed that is more of a new Deus Ex PR stunt that leads to a new Deus Ex being made!

If not...hmmmmmm.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Haha, yeah, what a loon... for thinking that he's being spied on by the, heh, Illuminati.
Yeah... I mean...
[sub]They've got a gun to my head, please help[/sub]

OT: I hope that this means we'll be getting a new Deus Ex, or something pertaining to it.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
I'm guessing marketing campaign. The cuts, the wiki edits, and the Deux Ex line all seem like some sort of mini-hype building thing. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new coutdown site or something like the augmentation site pop up in the next couple weeks.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Gearhead mk2 said:
Are people really still going on about the Illuminati? Guys, the Da Vinci Code is not real. Now please, just shut up.
I work at a high school and let me tell you the kids talk ALL the time about illuminati crap. There are even whole conspiracy videos about how popular rappers are fighting some war over who is aligned to illuminati and who is against them....and the latest one is about how some little wayne music video had skeletons in a theater and since he is aligned to illuminati that proves that the colorado shooting was an illuminati plot...to do something.....seriously. I'm not making this up lol. It drives me insane whenever I hear them babbling nonsense and rattling off "history" they learned from youtube about the illuminati.

Anyways on topic this definitely sounds like the start of some sort of viral marketting type of thing.

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
Gearhead mk2 said:
Just what I'd expect an ILLUMINATI AGENT TO SAY!

OT, I hope this is viral marketing, because if it isn't, I'm sad. He had such a nice voice, and it's hard to get crazy people to do voice acting.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
Like the article said, this looks way too well-cut to be actual rambling by a mad man, and the concurrent Wikipedia changes are too big a coincidence to not mean something.

Please let this mean that there's gonna be a Deus Ex: HR sequal. That game kicked ass.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
IMMINENT EXPANSION PACK PLEASE!

Also, I loved this guy in the game. I know his performance was pretty controversial, but I thought he did a top notch job as Sarif.

Mar 20, 2010
I don't think this is a PR move or something like that but still don't think this is serious. There is well timed cuts in this. It's just a joke is my guess.

I was very weirded out by the voice of David Sarif on this guy though.

also, PLS A NEW DEUS EX, THANKS

that is all

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Yeah, dude's got an editor. Completely whacked-out crazy people don't generally have editors, and the editors wouldn't leave in the weed joke.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
There's not enough vaccine to go around and the underclasses are starting to get desperate.

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
Deviate said:
DEUS EX REMAKE! Let it be known that I called it first. Also that it's not likely to happen. Maybe some sort of expansion pack, but not a full remake (which would be fucking awesome.)
Yeah that was my first thought, I'm not all the way through DX:HR but as far as I can tell the Illuminati don't appear, whereas they were quite big in the original. Plus tiny fruit flies = nanobots.

So yeah, remake or re-imagining of DX?