Update: Fez Dev Tells Media Member To Kill Himself

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Update: Fez Dev Tells Media Member To Kill Himself

Polytron has announced that development of Fez II has been cancelled following director Phil Fish's Twitter snafu.

Being a game developer is a very stressful job, as you are constantly being subject to criticism from your fans, as well as media outlets. But Fez developer Phil Fish, who was recently attacked in a GameTrailers show called "Invisible Walls," where presenter Marcus Beer sarcastically referred to him and Jonathan Blow as "BlowFish," can't handle being scrutinized. Fish lashed out at Beer on Twitter, calling him a "middle-aged parasite," and suggesting that he kill himself. Classy.

"The thing with us "tosspots" "hipsters" is that we're not beholden to media leeches like you, and you're right. we're VERY successful. And we're not going anywhere. Get used to it you middle-aged parasite. Compare your life to mine and then kill yourself. [sic]"

Fish then went on to demand a public apology from Beer for his comments. "how would you react tot his [sic] kind of shit if you were me," he said, "consider it's been going on for years now. you'd take the high road? im being attacked CONSTANTLY. and i can't fight back? ever? yeah that seems fair." Fish seems to believe that telling someone to kill themselves is on-par with being criticized about his habits.

For those of you who were looking forward to Fez II, looks like you are in for some bad news. Fish protected his Twitter account following a tweet that read, "im done. FEZ II is canceled. goodbye," and the official Polytron Twitter account [https://twitter.com/Polytron/status/361188665709436928] has now announced "It's with a heavy heart that we announce that FEZ II has been cancelled and is no longer in development. We apologize for the disappointment."

"there's not a day that goes by i don't fantasize about leaving [twitter]. but that would only make you happy, right? i don't want to have to get off twitter," Fish continued, "i love twitter. but it also invites SO MUCH UGLINESS into my life." This is a statement that I'm sure rings true for many others who have made career-ruining blunders via twitter, such as everyone's favorite Microsoft bigmouth, Adam Orth [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123206-Adam-Orth-Resigns-Following-Always-Online-Twitter-Comments].

Source: The Examiner [https://twitter.com/PHIL_FISH]

Image: Giant Bomb [http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-rabbit-hole-that-is-life-after-fez/1100-4275/]

Update: Phil Fish has commented on the recent cancellation of Fez II, saying:

"To be clear, I'm not cancelling Fez II because some boorish fuck said something stupid, I'm doing it to get out of games. And I'm getting out of games because I choose not to put up with this abuse anymore."

Source: Twitter (Imgur) [http://i.imgur.com/la84I7s.jpg]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
"im being attacked CONSTANTLY. and i can't fight back? ever? yeah that seems fair."
Maybe if he wasn't such a **** he wouldn't have to fight back.

Honestly, the way he acts, he's surprised that he gets shit? He gives people no reason to believe he's not a giant prick.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
You know, considering Fish's history - continuing? - with astute depression, I'm more worried than angry now. I hope he didn't go off to... do... what he suggested... to himself. Oh, geez.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
This is the end (hopefully) of a long time of Fish being a dick on twitter. Seriously this has been going on for a long time before this. Seems to be pretty common problem for some creative types that they cannot take criticism of there work. At least those that don't have corporate over lords to keep them quiet. It generally ends with this "take my ball and go home" approach.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
I've barely heard of the guy and I already want to slap him about the head and tell him to grow up.

That's never a good sign.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
hazabaza1 said:
Steven Bogos said:
"im being attacked CONSTANTLY. and i can't fight back? ever? yeah that seems fair."
Maybe if he wasn't such a **** he wouldn't have to fight back.

Honestly, the way he acts, he's surprised that he gets shit? He gives people no reason to believe he's not a giant prick.
The man either seems to be a complete jackhole, or a complete jackhole that is possibly suffering from bipolar disorder. Honestly reading some is hies previous rants on twitter, I expect outbursts like his from a 14-16 boy, not from a successful indie dev.

I thought these indie guys were supposed to be all chill and artsy. Yeah, he gets shit about stuff, but so does everybody else. He isn't special and you don't go around on social media sites saying those things this day and age w/o consequences.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Invisible Walls is still going?!

Man!

OT: The way people behave on Twitter sure is in the name, isn't it?

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
So his solution is to act like a six year-old? Yeah, that certainly solves the problem. Cancelling development of a game that many people were looking forward to, myself included, will only invite more hate from the rage-centric Internet and add credence to the japes people have been making toward you. You have absolutely no ground to stand on this time Fish.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
I've never heard of this guy before, but by his quotes in this article alone, he sounds like a big angry man-baby. The fact that he has the spelling and grammar skills of a 6 year old is not helping.

Starnerf

The X makes it sound cool
Jun 26, 2008
Nice Futurama reference, but I think what's interesting about him using that quote is that in that episode Bender sacrificed his body in pursuit of money, but then realized that being a head wasn't all it was cracked up to be and the sacrifice wasn't worth it in the end. Mostly because Richard Nixon might buy it and use an odd loophole in the constitution to run for president of Earth. And nobody wants that.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
You know, considering Fish's history - continuing? - with astute depression, I'm more worried than angry now. I hope he didn't go off to... do... what he suggested... to himself. Oh, geez.
And just then nothing of value was lost.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Wow, talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. I mean, he does realize the financial implications of cancelling a game based on grade school play ground logic right? If he can't through his haze of seething rage then he will later and probably quietly resume development.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
Thank fucking god. Game industry doesn't need tools like Fish. How can you enter an industry that is always heavily scrutinized unprepared? There will always be people whom will not like your work or whom might even hate it, but that's the basic reality of our industry. I thought adults were supposed to handle things maturely, not throwing anger tantrums and "rage-quitting" their own projects. This is kindergarten stuff; thank god another child was expelled.

Brussels

Jun 27, 2013
Riobux said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
And just then nothing of value was lost.
This is just as tasteless as Phil telling someone to kill themselves.

Defending Phil is kinda pointless, but does anyone look better in comparison? This started because this Marcus guy was mad about "BlowFish" not wanting to comment on Microsoft's indie changes. They saw it as rumors at the time, while he took it as fact. So all of this started as a misunderstanding on his part and he does not acknowledge it.

If you follow Phil's tweets, you see another account, now deleted, antagonizing him and saying rude crap that only made Phil madder. That's not okay.

Twitter's such a pain.