Update: Fez Dev Tells Media Member To Kill Himself

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
This time he went too far, and proved himself as an immature dickface and I look forward to Marcus's response. It will be BRUTAL.

Sure insulting people and blowing hot hair is cause to ignore, it's just mudslinging. But to tell someone to KILL themselves is proof that he is rotten to the core as a person. We've all said thing's we regret, but whoever tells you to kill yourself over it is not a human being. They are simply wretches.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Wow, the more I hear about this guy the more I'm glad I didn't buy Fez and now I'm not going to regardless of how many arbitrary awards it has won. He comes over as nothing less than a monumental prick with a bloated ego because he has had one successful game. And if you can't stand people criticising your work, maybe consider doing something that doesn't have an entire sub-industry dedicated to doing just that?

He needs to get over himself.

Senare

Aug 6, 2010
Without knowing any historical context, acting like this is very human and that is not something I would hold against him. Dick or not - if this was someone else, would you really hold it against that person to steam up and lash out if they were attacked? How much of a moral high ground should we really expect others to take?

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
I didn't play the first Fez for the sole reason that this guy redefines "douchebag". For the following millenia kids will ask their parents what douchebag means and they'll just point and say, "yeah, pretty much that." the name will be changed, and great wars will be fought over whether we should say Philbag or Fishbag. Angels will descend from the burning heavens to fight off Satan's army of Philbags. Twitter will personify as a giant blue bird, devouring the career essence from each of the Philbags, leaving only a shell a hermit crab might call home. God himself will weep at the unfortunate loss of a great and creative mind tragically stuck inside his biggest personality failure to date.

OT: Fuck that guy.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
What the fuck is it with gamers and the phrase "go kill yourself"? It's so fucking juvenile, it's not like anybody actually follows that order and if they do it's never 'cos of it.

I'm going to start saying the opposite to people I argue with on the internet, "you know what, just go hug a puppy!".

Anyway, if you don't want your art being criticized, you're in the wrong profession my friend! "I want people to watch my movie and like it, if they don't they should kill themselves".

Guy seems a little insecure to me.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Is it really that hard to practice some basic self control and human decency? Honest question here.

Apr 28, 2008
Senare said:
I think that the way Fish acted is very human and that is not something I would hold against him. If this was someone else, would you really hold it against that person to steam up and lash out if they were attacked? How much of a moral high ground should we really expect others to take?
Indeed. Especially in Fish's case, who gets abuse more or less constantly. Doesn't matter who you are, deal with that for a year or two straight and it wears you down. At this point his patience for insults is pretty much gone, so yeah. Totally understandable to see him react this way.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Akalabeth said:
Eric the Orange said:
This is the end (hopefully) of a long time of Fish being a dick on twitter. Seriously this has been going on for a long time before this. Seems to be pretty common problem for some creative types that they cannot take criticism of there work. At least those that don't have corporate over lords to keep them quiet. It generally ends with this "take my ball and go home" approach.
So someone calling him "Blowfish" is "Criticism of his work"?

Don't fucking think so.

Fish was out of line certainly. But the other guy sounds like a grade-a juvenile asshole as well. This is an example of two people who should've been the better man, and yet neither of them were.
First off I said it was common of creative types in general not this specific situation.

Second have you looked back into this situation besides what was said in this article. It was more than that. And his previous twitter rants were about more than that.

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
Awwwwwwwww ikkle baby. Fear not, oh toddler of thin skin and loud mouth, for I have in my possession the world's smallest violin! Indeed, it is so small, a microscope is required for its viewing!

Nov 28, 2007
Senare said:
I think that the way Fish acted is very human and that is not something I would hold against him. If this was someone else, would you really hold it against that person to steam up and lash out if they were attacked? How much of a moral high ground should we really expect others to take?
Lashing out is one thing. Telling a critic to kill themselves, because he is so much better than them, though? What would he have to say for you to hold it against him?

Alcaste

Mar 2, 2011
Senare said:
I'll give you a moment to think about that statement. That he acted 'human'. Suicide is a pretty big deal. People DO kill themselves because bullies tell them to. Phil Fish doesn't deserve any sympathy. He's always been a melodramatic ass that lashes out at everyone. Him shutting up for a while is better for the whole industry. At least until he grows up.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Brussels said:
Riobux said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
You know, considering Fish's history - continuing? - with astute depression, I'm more worried than angry now. I hope he didn't go off to... do... what he suggested... to himself. Oh, geez.
And just then nothing of value was lost.
This is just as tasteless as Phil telling someone to kill themselves.
I just don't understand what was so great about Fez, and therefore I struggle to work out what is the value of Fish beyond the "but he's a human being!" excuse.

mronoc

Nov 12, 2008
Given the sheer amount of shit I see tossed at Phil Fish on the internet on a constant basis, this outburst is wholly understandable. Childish and irrational to be sure, but also understandable.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Welp, it's official, Fish is a Call of Duty gamer.

All jokes aside, I don't think I can add anything to this discussion other than my own iteration of "Wow, that guy's a douche."

Senare said:
If he wants to steam up and lash out, he's in the wrong industry. In fact, I think any occupation that even remotely puts in him in a situation like this one is inappropriate for him. It was a sarcastic comment, a joke, even. And Fish thinks highly enough of himself to say his life is so much better than his that he should realise it and kill himself.

Not all human beings are this childish and egotistical. I think I'd have taken this comment far better than Fish did. It's a pun on his name, as far as I can see, nothing near a below-the-belt remark.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I didn't realise Futurama references were taken so seriously.

I will now refrain from telling anyone to bite my shiny, metal ass from now on.

Anyway, Fish quitting Twitter, at least for a while, is probably a good thing for him. He seems to get a shit ton of criticism on there, and Phil can't seem to deal with that very well. Hell, the amount of abuse he got on there would be enough to put most people off.

And to be fair, the media member wasn't exactly classy himself, in the video.

Games journalists are going to struggle though, I'm pretty sure some could probably live off the amount of shit he said that got turned into news posts.

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
EDIT: Y'know, this topic probably doesn't need my input. I'm just gonna indirectly delete it.

Move along here, folks; nothing to see.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Alcaste said:
Senare said:
I'll give you a moment to think about that statement. That he acted 'human'. Suicide is a pretty big deal. People DO kill themselves because bullies tell them to. Phil Fish doesn't deserve any sympathy. He's always been a melodramatic ass that lashes out at everyone. Him shutting up for a while is better for the whole industry. At least until he grows up.
He is not a bully. If anything, he's the one getting bullied. No doubt he brought it upon himself, because he's an asshole, but even he doesn't deserve the sheer amount of constant shit he gets. When he says he's constantly getting attacked, he's really not exaggerating.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Senare said:
I completely agree. Ultimately, I value having one more good game developer over having one less person acting like an asshole on the internet. I can ignore assholes, I can't ignore a lack of fun games. What he's doing isn't really destructive, it's just being a jerk. I can deal with that.