Update: Fez Dev Tells Media Member To Kill Himself

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
this is my biggest fear if i ever become a recognized game dev: me losing my temper and lashing out at every single thing

fwiffo

Sep 12, 2011
Bummer, was looking forward to fez 2. Recently played the first one, and thought it was pretty great.

Some people aren't made for social media.

best of luck to him in the future.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Eri said:
Beer needs to fuck off.
Boy do I ever agree with that part. Not a fan of Fish either, but that podcast guy is as big a douche as I've ever seen holding a microphone. "Annoyed Gamer" indeed. Should be called "Entitled Prick".

But whatever. Neither of them come out of this one looking like anything more than idiot man-children, crying for attention.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
So when a shitstorm starts brewing on Planet of the Arseholes, in which one do you duck for cover?

At least it would have been that way if it wasn't for that 'Fuck it, no Fez 2 for you' comment from Phil. Not that I care that much for a Fez sequel, but come on... That just turned from two stupid toddlers having a shit-flinging match to one toddler screaming 'I hate EVERYONE! I'm taking my cool toys home with me now!'

So, people here have been pointing out that he both gives and gets a lot of shit from the likes of the media and twitter, with an emphasis on not being able to take his own medicine. Regardless of who's in the right or wrong here, everyone stinks and has slightly less (objectively) nice things in the world.

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
Agayek said:
Is it really that hard to practice some basic self control and human decency? Honest question here.
This.
Just This.
I have nothing more to say.
So have a picture of something cute to hopefully pause you for two seconds.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
In my experience, the media usually deserve this sort of thing.

I'd comment on the irony of saying something like that in response to a news story, but I feel the fact that two grown men engaging in one of those cartoon slapping battles being "news" more or less proves my point.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
This is a loss to the fans of Fez and to those that were looking forward to the sequel. But from what I've read in the past, he had a very awful attitude and I'm sorry for those who have worked with him on the game may be jobless because of his outburst and arguments on twitter.

Giving a single person so much power (the power of canceling his game) upsets me. He is being very selfish in my eyes.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I really can't wait for Marcus's response, while I don't always agree with Marcus on gaming issues, I certainly like him way more personally than that Mr. Fish. That guy sounds so full of himself it's ridiculous.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Ishal said:
I thought these indie guys were supposed to be all chill and artsy. Yeah, he gets shit about stuff, but so does everybody else. He isn't special and you don't go around on social media sites saying those things this day and age w/o consequences.
Indie devs seem to be the most prone to lashing out at people who criticize them or their projects, actually. Mostly because, unlike AAA-devs (or at the very least publisher-funded devs) they're generally a small team pumping all of their heart and soul into a project and rarely doing it just for the paycheck (not to say the bigger teams only do it for the paycheck, but there's more lost in the translation when the team is 200 people instead of five).

OT: Cancelling the game seems kinda like an overreaction to me. But hey, it's his prerogative.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Impluse_101 said:
I have nothing more to say.
So have a picture of something cute to hopefully pause you for two seconds.
That pic is awesome. Good find sir and/or madam.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Andy of Comix Inc said:
You know, considering Fish's history - continuing? - with astute depression, I'm more worried than angry now. I hope he didn't go off to... do... what he suggested... to himself. Oh, geez.
Is his depression incredibly accurate or did you mean to say acute? I am with you though, I would hope he wouldn't follow his own advice here.

OT: When you tend to overreact and do so publicly, why would you not expect rude comments designed to illicit such reactions? I can understand that he isn't the one starting it, and that being called out for his comment when nobody was calling out the ones who were "attacking" him, but this is effectively career suicide when you give in to these urges to respond like this. I hope he learns a valuable lesson from this experience, but somehow I doubt it.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Ralfarius said:
Not nearly enough people chiming in on recognizing a well-placed Futurama quote.

That is the truly disappointing aspect of this entire debacle.
Finally, you're the first person I saw to recognize it. I just spent 10 minutes looking for a video of Bender saying it, sadly this best of bender video doesn't have it.

OT: Having seen the guy's previous tweets he's beyond arrogant so this doesn't surprise me as much as when I first read it.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Dogstile said:
mronoc said:
Given the sheer amount of shit I see tossed at Phil Fish on the internet on a constant basis, this outburst is wholly understandable. Childish and irrational to be sure, but also understandable.
Agreed, holy shit the guy is abused on a daily basis. No wonder he's being a dick.
To be fair he did start it with that comment on japanese games, then when people tried to prove him wrong, he responded very harshly and disapropriate.

Go watch that Jimquisition about Phil Fish, there's one on there where some guy says that hes talking smack about games yet hasn't released one(this was before FEZ was released) and he responds with "suck my dick. choke on it" because he won an award based off of his game.

EDIT: Found the tweet.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
This _cannot_ be the reason Fez 2 is cancelled.

I mean, not that I care, but isn't polytron interactive independently published?
It's not like anyone important would care about this guy saying some shitty thing on twitter and cancel the partnership, right? Because that would be the real story, imo.

zxvcasdfqwerzxcv

Nov 19, 2009
Having watched Indie Game The Movie, it is fairly clear that Fish is quite a troubled man. He's been placed (or perhaps, has placed himself) in a very stressful position and he doesn't cope with stress well. Fez was a brilliant game, and Fish is an amazing developer. He would do well to get someone else to do all his PR so he doesn't need to speak at or listen to all the bullshit he (undeservedly) receives. Beer has shown a very unprofessional attitude by getting personal in the first place. He had the gall to call for a boycott of coverage of games by Fish and Jonathan Blow because they neglect answering media questions. Sounds like another completely useless journalist - exactly what the industry doesn't need!

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
To talk of "career ending blunders" sounds a little too, ahem, hopeful on the part of the author?

Lashing out like this is surely not classy. Demanding an apology after lashing out suggests a lack of self-reflection that borders on mental illness. But he does have a point that it doesn't paint anyone in glory to suggest that their status as a "critic" or "satirist" renders them above criticism or blowback for their own comments, however badly Fish might have said so.

If the target of his ire wants to get outraged, he's welcome to it. I'm not interested in joining a torch-bearing mob over this one; the indignation seems badly misplaced.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Not going to defend Mr. Fishs comments, even though I think people are blowing it WAAAAAY out of proportion. Especially when one realizes that the latter part of his tweet was a Futurama reference and therefore a joke.

But this is the internet, after all. And the only sense of humor people have 'round here is one that involves either lol-cats or picking on people and being cruel. So...oh well.

Anyway, while I'm not defending Fishs tweet, I am going to agree with him and a few others in saying that Mr. Beer can fuck right off. His remarks towards Phil Fish and Johnathan Blow were unwarranted, needlessly confrontational, unceremoniously personal, and completely tasteless. The guy is a colossal prick and deserves as equal a level of ire and ridicule as Phil Fish is receiving.

Seriously....fuck Marcus Beer. What a twat.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Again, throw this onto the list of why nobody should use Twitter.

You know, I can kind-of get why Phil Fish would be this upset. He wanted to make a calm, lively, and pretty puzzle game but ended up going through difficult legal hoops and near-constant criticism that still persists to this day. However, he REALLY needs to take some stress management classes. Not only was the first offense going onto the internet, but believing and justifying his statements about telling people to kill themselves was one of the worst things he could have done. I hope that Phil Fish will be able to get his head in a more stable place before he continues using Twitter again.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
If someone called me a tosspot I'd be pretty pissed off too. And in public? In front of an audience? Phil Fish was not only scrutinised, he was ridiculed and personally attacked verbally.

Of course, the article doesn't show that very well because the writer is clearly biased.

I'm not saying Phil Fish is a stand up guy, not even close. And maybe he did cross the line? But that line was crossed beforehand. He had ample motivation for what he said through no fault of his own as far as I can tell.