Update: Fez Dev Tells Media Member To Kill Himself

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
Dr Pussymagnet said:
Fuck Marcus Beer, fuck this clickbait headline, and fuck Gamers for celebrating the fact that someone was so jaded by our shitty awful community that it made him quit.

I give him credit for sticking it out this long though, since being under constant scrutiny from the gaming community of all places would drive me fucking insane.
I'd agree if the man in question weren't a pretentious, self-absorbed asshole of the highest caliber who continually makes flame bait then acts the victim when people call him out on it. If the guy honestly wanted people to stop calling him an asshole then he should stop being an asshole.

Hell I wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing turned out to be a roundabout PR job for Fez 2.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
Is it just me, or did the Update to this article somehow make him even more of a butthurt crybaby douchebag than he already was?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Lunar Templar said:
So 'indie dev throws tantrum cause some guy called him a name' basically? spiffy, and not really news worthy >.> the part about Fez 2 getting canned, sure, worth a report, but the dev throwing a hissy fit cause some one called him 'blow fish', ugh ....

It'd been more worth while to write up a news story on Transformers Prime ending then reporting some assholes temper tantrum
Well, Fish cancelled Fez 2 BECAUSE he was insulted by Marcus Beer and that tipped him over the line to cancelling his game and getting out of the Video Game Industry where people get insulted everyday. I mean how many people do you think insulted and told Ghostcrawler, aka Greg Street to kill himself? Just as many, if not more, than those who acted mean to Phil Fish. Yet, Mr. Street doesn't act like a baby and throw a tantrum -_-
Can't think of anyone off hand that throws a fit like this cause some one called them a name, dude needs to get over him self.

Eri said:
Beer needs to fuck off. What has he contributed, exactly, to this industry? That's what I thought. At least Fish does shit.
And Fish has done what to make him worthy of praise? or make him worthy of listening to? about as much as this 'Beer' person. ONE good game does not make you worth listening to, nor is it a shield for all the bullshit this guy has said.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Akalabeth said:
Rage quitting the project? The impression I got is the company cancelled their funding of the game. Assuming he is being funded by someone else.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytron_Corporation

In short, the company canceled it because the company is more or less Phil Fish.

That's a ragequit in my books.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Dr Pussymagnet said:
I give him credit for sticking it out this long though, since being under constant scrutiny from the gaming community of all places would drive me fucking insane.
Turns out acting like a complete dick leads people to believe that you're a complete dick. Whodathunk?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
"To be clear, I'm not cancelling Fez II because some boorish fuck said something stupid, I'm doing it to get out of games. And I'm getting out of games because I choose not to put up with this abuse anymore."
So he's not quitting because of one boorish fuck, but because of ALL the boorish fucks?

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
I have gathered two things from this. First, Phil Fish's twitter icon makes this all far too ironic. Second, if you are a creative type with confidence and or emotional issues, stay the fuck away from social media.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Riobux said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
You know, considering Fish's history - continuing? - with astute depression, I'm more worried than angry now. I hope he didn't go off to... do... what he suggested... to himself. Oh, geez.
And just then nothing of value was lost.
He's still a human being, dude. A human piece of shit is still a human piece of shit.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Cybylt said:
[If the guy honestly wanted people to stop calling him an asshole then he should stop being an asshole.
Oh, just for that, Phil is SO quitting.

But it's not because of you, even though you're obviously the direct catylist.

Midniqht said:
Is it just me, or did the Update to this article somehow make him even more of a butthurt crybaby douchebag than he already was?
It's not just you. It also seems really stupid.

"I'm not quitting because of this obvious insult I blew up over, but because I don't like being insulted."

Hazy said:
Turns out acting like a complete dick leads people to believe that you're a complete dick. Whodathunk?
Crap. That was going to be my post-grad work in sociology.

Oh well, time to find a new topic.

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
So he will dish out the insults all he likes, but god for-fucking-bid someone criticizes him back?

I feel sorry for everyone else who was at Polytron and working on FEZ 2 (if there are other people), knowing the game has now been cancelled because Phil Fish can't handle what it is he dishes out all the time.

nameless023

Fancy Forum Title Goes Here
Nov 11, 2011
Do we have some sort of "dislike" button for articles? Reading this article gave me a bitter feeling of disgust towards whoever wrote it. Now, before I begin I would like to point out that I'm no way supporting Phil Fish's attitude, everyone knows the man is a walking PR disaster. No, the following rant is directed to the person that wrote this article.

Let's start with the title, shall we? "Fez Dev tells Media Member to Kill Himself", quite the reader trap. You could've easily changed the title to something equally dramatic like "Phil Fish murders puppies for fun" and get the same attention from viewers. The article itself is brief and quick to deliver a point, and the writer's intended point seems to be "PHIL FISH IS BEING A DICK, AGAIN". It's blatantly one sided, leaving out important details of the story. Yes, it does mention the Invisible Walls thing *in one single sentence* and tries to make it seem like the worst thing this Marcus Beer guy did was calling him "Blowfish", but it fails to mention that Beer spent several minutes lashing out against Phil Fish and Jonathan Blow (from Braid) for not wanting to state their options about Microsoft's Indie Publishing and taking a direct aim at insulting Fish whenever possible, calling him a "Fucking Asshole" and a "Whiny Tosspot" among other things. Then you proceed to mock Phil Fish in a rather unprofessional way with snappy remarks for the sake of being "funny" and then you add (further) insult to injury by comparing Fish to some equally unlikable gaming personality like Adam Orth just because they both stated their personal opinions on Twitter and it backfired on them (FYI: also not defending Adam Orth).

Now, let's take a moment and think about Phil Fish for a moment. The guy's been taking crap all over before and after releasing FEZ, think about all that negative feedback he's been constantly getting ever since. And yes, most of the times that crap was in some way related to something retardedly stupid that he said, something that any public figure with common sense would never say in a open public channel such as Twitter. But there's only so much crap a person can take before everything bursts out, and in the case of our dear Phil Fish, him being the outspoken hot-headed man-child we know, this Twitter blowup was only expected of him.

Once again, I'm neither defending nor attacking Fish. The man fails to understand that making a rather successful indie game made him a public figure in the gaming industry, and as such he should think before talking (or Tweeting) about something that can potentially end up in crap like this. What upsets me is the way this article keeps on reinforcing the same "Phil Fish is an asshole" kind-of-meme and pushes readers into disliking this character and to keep making fun of him, instead of giving actual complete information and letting readers decide if it's worth defending his reasoning or not.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
What is it about Indie devs and turning out to be colossal twats?

Man, you're right, you really revolutionised the industry with your quirky puzzle platformer with retro-esque graphics and subversive undertones, I'm sure nobody else in the indie scene has even thought of doing such a thing.

Row row fight da powah ¬_¬
You reminded me of this video. Quite appropriate, I think.

I'm not against indie games, but there is this air of arrogance around them that annoys the hell out of me.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Dr Pussymagnet said:
Also thanks for helping prove my point.
Thank you for failing to counter the point that the reason people hate him so much is because he acts like this. You seem to be assuming that people are just being so mean to this poor nice boy, when the truth is that he earns most of his hate by being an narcissistic arrogant prick who can't handle being criticized.

Roander

Dec 27, 2009
I apologize if someone's already said this, but I don't have time to read all 5 pages of comments and I feel like it needs to be said, even if ends up on the 6th page of comments no one is going to read. "Compare your lives to mine and kill yourselves." Most people on this site probably already know this is a quote from Futurama and probably also know the context. It was not about Bender encouraging his friends to commit suicide, it was about Bender bragging about how great his life is. Given the rest of Fish's statement that context fits here too. Yes his statement as a whole is still immature but everyone seems to be focusing on the 'kill yourself' part like we're all soul-less robots who can't accept anything but a literal interpretation of text.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Steven Bogos said:
"To be clear, I'm not cancelling Fez II because some boorish fuck said something stupid, I'm doing it to get out of games. And I'm getting out of games because I choose not to put up with this abuse anymore."
Pfff hahahahahaha.

Oh Jesus, this guy is like one of those assholes on Deviant Art who cry when somebody tells them their art looks like crap. The victim complex is strong in this one.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Riobux said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
You know, considering Fish's history - continuing? - with astute depression, I'm more worried than angry now. I hope he didn't go off to... do... what he suggested... to himself. Oh, geez.
And just then nothing of value was lost.
He's still a human being, dude. A human piece of shit is still a human piece of shit.
You make the statement that he's a human being sound like it should garner respect and that in it's self by being human you create value. This is not the case.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Well that escalated quickly. Also...

Steven Bogos said:
...yes, I'd like to play the "Bullshit!" card. You say stupid things like this and people are going to call you out on it HARD. And this is coming from ME of all people.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Dr Pussymagnet said:
Fuck Marcus Beer, fuck this clickbait headline, and fuck Gamers for celebrating the fact that someone was so jaded by our shitty awful community that it made him quit.

Though I agree a large portion of the gaming community is fucking vile (hence the hordes of 'Nothing of value is lost' comments), I fail to see why Fish couldn't have culled the flow of hatred, like opting out of Twitter, if he wanted to cut down of the vast amounts of abuse he was getting (and possibly prevent him from saying something inflammatory on a whim).

Normally I'd agree that it's messed up to have to give up something you love just because it's mostly populated by assholes (I am personally preemptively keeping the fuck away from Call of Duty, simply because of the awful community it's known for), but from what I understand, he was happy to dish it out as much as he took it, even without provocation.

By the way captcha, stop trying to advertise obscure brand names without any fucking clue what as to they actually sell. I have no idea what the fuck 'Unilever' is, nor do I have any interest in looking it up.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
I find it hard to pick a side on this issue. On the one hand Fish has point that the current video game community is too full of obnoxious assholes (or that they are the most vocal part of our community despite being a minority) and that such abuse can often be too much for a single person to take. I have seen a fair share of people who were once devoted gamers swear off gaming because they couldn't stand the abuse. It's basically just like what happened to that poor girl from the Cross Assault debacle. On the other hand his handling of the situation was completely inappropriate. The "go kill yourself" remark is one thing. Completely cancelling a game many fans are probably anticipating is rude and basically amounts to raising a giant middle finger at all gamers, good or bad. If he could at least have the decency to hand off the project to someone else then he probably wouldn't look like a such a whiny baby. I also have a feeling that with business' of today checking people's social media interactions when reviewing someone for a job this whole debacle may end up coming back to bite him in the ass.