Update: Gothic Roguelike Darkest Dungeon Meets Kickstarter Goal

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Update: Gothic Roguelike Darkest Dungeon Meets Kickstarter Goal

[kickstarter=tyler-sigman/darkest-dungeon-by-red-hook-studios]

Red Hook Studios has raised almost 75% of its Kickstarter goal in the first day of the campaign for its stressful RPG.

Red Hook Studios launched the Kickstarter campaign for roguelike RPG Kickstarter page [http://www.darkestdungeon.com/] outlines the tactical mechanics of the game, showing the importance of party order in the narrow corridors of the dungeon and positioning requirements for attacks.

Darkest Dungeon is Red Hook Studios' first project. The members of the development team have worked on several other games, including HOARD, Homeworld 2, Nitro, and Monster Lab. "Darkest Dungeon is not a game where every hero wins the day with shiny armor and a smile. It is a game about hard trade-offs, nearly certain demise, and heroic reversals," says Red Hook Studios. The developers have been working on the game for nine months, covering out-of-pocket costs themselves. If the studio raises over the minimum $75,000 target, planned stretch goals include additional classes, boss monster variants, expanded game content, and cinematics in the style of the games' trailer. Red Hook Studios is targeting January 2015 for the games' release, with a PC version coming first and Mac to follow. As for other platforms, Red Hook Studios says, "We are also very interested in consoles, Linux, SteamOS, tablet, and even 3DS and will make decisions about those versions based upon interest and opportunity and discussions with platform holders and publishers." As of writing, the Kickstarter campaign has raised $57,937 from 1,658 backers.

Red Hook Studios released a trailer for Darkest Dungeon in October. The gorgeous, gothic art in the trailer and the games' Lovecraftian themes caught my eye, and the new information about the tactical combat has put this game on my watch list.

Update: Red Hook Studios has met its Darkest Dungeon Kickstarter goal of $75,000 after just one day of fundraising.

Source: Darkest Dungeon [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1460250988/darkest-dungeon-by-red-hook-studios]

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
Here is an updated link, MarlaDesat:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1460250988/darkest-dungeon-by-red-hook-studios?ref=home_popular
The game looks amazing, it's definitely one I'm going to be looking forward to, such as A Hat in Time and Hyper Light Drifter.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Love the concept. Loathe the Steam as a method of pledge distribution. Early access is one thing, but there is no good reason to not have an alternative platforms in addition to steam.

SN:
Title was a tad misleading. Was expecting a roguelike based in the Gothic universe. This is much better, but the phrasing brought something else to mind first.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Thankyou for calling this "gothic". When Kotaku did their piece they called it "dark and metal" "like Hellboy". Hellboy is gothic. Mike Mignola's style is gothic. This is gothic.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
I already knew this would be coming, but not on kickstarter. Still looking forward to the game itself, even if it looks the way it does. Maybe it's dark souls esque in a way, minus that you keep dying over and over. Hopefully.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Game looks interesting. Sadly they do this exclusive content for backers bullshit and i will never support a company that does that shit.

Blarg Blargson

Dec 7, 2008
Amaror said:
Game looks interesting. Sadly they do this exclusive content for backers bullshit and i will never support a company that does that shit.
Why? As a business practice, what's wrong with that?

I can see why you might be upset if this was some kind of competitive multiplayer game, and backers got some kind of in-game reward that gave them a substantial advantage over other players. However, Darkest Dungeon isn't multiplayer, and as far as I can tell none of the kickstarter rewards actually carry over to gameplay in a way that is totally exclusive to the player who paid for them.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Blarg Blargson said:
Amaror said:

I can see why you might be upset if this was some kind of competitive multiplayer game, and backers got some kind of in-game reward that gave them a substantial advantage over other players. However, Darkest Dungeon isn't multiplayer, and as far as I can tell none of the kickstarter rewards actually carry over to gameplay in a way that is totally exclusive to the player who paid for them.
In what world does a completely exclusive class not carry over to gameplay? Of course it does.
What's wrong with it, is that you exclude gameplay features and a complete game from a majourity of your customers which is all kinds of shitty.
It's a shitty business practice for the same reason preorder bonuses and stuff like that is a shitty business practice.
It's even worse, since a whole character class is way more substantial to gameplay than a single item.
I don't have a problem when it's something visual, like the extra Texture - Sets they had for War for the Overworld for example, but having exclusive gameplay features is just utter bullshit.

If your fine with it, good for you and the devs but i will not be supporting shit like this.

Blarg Blargson

Dec 7, 2008
Amaror said:
Blarg Blargson said:
Amaror said:

In what world does a completely exclusive class not carry over to gameplay? Of course it does.
What's wrong with it, is that you exclude gameplay features and a complete game from a majourity of your customers which is all kinds of shitty.
It's a shitty business practice for the same reason preorder bonuses and stuff like that is a shitty business practice.
It's even worse, since a whole character class is way more substantial to gameplay than a single item.
I don't have a problem when it's something visual, like the extra Texture - Sets they had for War for the Overworld for example, but having exclusive gameplay features is just utter bullshit.

If your fine with it, good for you and the devs but i will not be supporting shit like this.
I take it you're referring to the "Lord" backer reward? As I read it, the guy who chips in $5000 gets to HELP to design a class that EVERYONE will then be able to access. That doesn't seem really exclusive to me.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Blarg Blargson said:
I take it you're referring to the "Lord" backer reward? As I read it, the guy who chips in $5000 gets to HELP to design a class that EVERYONE will then be able to access. That doesn't seem really exclusive to me.
No i am reffering to the "Adventurer" backer reward and above.

Exclusive playable Backers Only character class which will be voted upon by backers (you!) after the campaign closes.

Blarg Blargson

Dec 7, 2008
Amaror said:
Blarg Blargson said:

Exclusive playable Backers Only character class which will be voted upon by backers (you!) after the campaign closes.
Oh, I see. Yeah, that's a little annoying, but I don't think the presence of a selective backer bonus is reason enough by itself to not support the game, or the publisher. That said, I'm only backing at $15 for a copy of the game, so I wouldn't get this exclusive class anyway.

My general feeling on Exclusive Content is that it really doesn't matter unless it gives one group of players a competitive advantage over all others. I generally don't buy it, or encourage others to do so, but I respect the right of people who want to make money to do stuff that will increase their profits. The same goes for non-story DLC.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Blarg Blargson said:
Amaror said:
Blarg Blargson said:

Oh, I see. Yeah, that's a little annoying, but I don't think the presence of a selective backer bonus is reason enough by itself to not support the game, or the publisher. That said, I'm only backing at $15 for a copy of the game, so I wouldn't get this exclusive class anyway.

My general feeling on Exclusive Content is that it really doesn't matter unless it gives one group of players a competitive advantage over all others. I generally don't buy it, or encourage others to do so, but I respect the right of people who want to make money to do stuff that will increase their profits. The same goes for non-story DLC.
Good for you, but i tend to not support people with business practices i don't support. It's the reason i don't buy EA games anymore and it's the reason why i won't back this project. I am fine with Dlc, as long as it isn't cut from the base game and reasonably priced.
I fully support the Dlc practices of Paradox games for example. They bring out a lot of Dlc, but the bigger Dlcs add so much to their games that they are absolutly worth the price and the smaller dlc's, while having a bit more skewed price/worth ratio are purely visual or audio stuff, so i don't mind.
Completely exclusive stuff is a no go for me, however. And i don't care if it's multiplayer or not. If it's exclusive i don't support it.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
Amaror said:
Good for you, but i tend to not support people with business practices i don't support. It's the reason i don't buy EA games anymore and it's the reason why i won't back this project. I am fine with Dlc, as long as it isn't cut from the base game and reasonably priced.
I fully support the Dlc practices of Paradox games for example. They bring out a lot of Dlc, but the bigger Dlcs add so much to their games that they are absolutly worth the price and the smaller dlc's, while having a bit more skewed price/worth ratio are purely visual or audio stuff, so i don't mind.
Completely exclusive stuff is a no go for me, however. And i don't care if it's multiplayer or not. If it's exclusive i don't support it.
An understandable position to take, I can respect that. I also agree with you but....

I'm a fan of dungeon crawling games(Wizardry, Etrian, etc) along with Pen&Paper games like Pathfinder. This greatly interests me, even with the exclusive class attached to it.