Update: Grand Theft Auto V Announced on Jack Thompson's Disbarment Anniversary

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Update: Grand Theft Auto V Announced on Jack Thompson's Disbarment Anniversary

After years of speculation, Rockstar sends the first official word that GTAV is on its way.

Update: In what may or may not be a coincidence, careful internet observers noticed that Rockstar's announcement today coincides with the three-year anniversary of Jack Thompson's disbarment in the State of Florida. Thompson won his fame by suing Rockstar for selling "murder simulators" like Bully and GTA to minors, but his behavior in court belittling judges and defendants alike ended in his rights to argue in Florida courts being revoked in 2008. The effective date of Thompson's disbarment? October 25th. Well played, Rockstar.

Original Post: In 2001, Grand Theft Auto III sparked a revolution of open-world games and incited protests from groups saying it romanticized violence. The title catapulted Rockstar Games from a small shop in the U.K. to a worldwide brand. Follow-ups such as Vice City and San Andreas set in different cities sold extremely well, as did the first iteration on 7th generation consoles - GTAIV in 2008. After years of game journalists following parent company Rockstar's website today [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112173-Take-Two-Plays-Coy-About-Next-Grand-Theft-Auto] shows the first official word of the hotly anticipated sequel.

Yep, just a logo. And a date for when we'll see a glimpse of the first official trailer on November 2nd, 2011. That's all we get, folks.

And yet, it's enough to get my blood pumping. Where will the game be set - back in Rockstar's version of New York Liberty City - or maybe a return to southern California in San Andreas? Personally, I'd love to see a GTA game set in Rockstar founders Dan and Sam Houser's hometown of London, England.

Obviously, we don't have much to go on here other than a new Grand Theft Auto logo. We don't have a release window or even know what platforms such a game will be on. My cash money's on the Wii U, but that's just me. I want to be able to take a cell phone call using that newfangled controller. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112261-Patent-Documents-Reveal-Wii-U-Controller-Details]

"Hey, Cousin!"

Source: Rockstar [http://www.rockstargames.com/]

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Please, no cousins. Please.

I'm actually excited, otherwise. Rockstar should consider picking an entirely untapped locale, like Chicago or Huston.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Greg Tito said:
newfangled controller.
Screwed that bit up there =P

Anyway, I hope it goes back to San Andreas style gameplay. GTA 4 was a little too... serious... for my liking.

Which is why I'll be getting Saint's Row 3.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Don't think grand theft auto: London would work to well. Not very many standoffs with the cops would be very challenging since they wouldn't have guns.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Go back to the old ways for five please, GTA 4 is why I own both Saints row games and am Getting the third.

Cousins, taxis to circumvent having to drive, only a tiny fraction of activities and character customization of the old games.

Sure the bank heist was awesome, but overall not to GTA'ee.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Well, GTA is always good, but the logo troubles me.

GTA IV had a great, classy logo. The V logo looks like someone taped the new number to the old logo - it just doesn't fit there.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"Personally, I'd love to see a GTA game set in Rockstar founders Dan and Sam Houser's hometown of London, England."

Doubt it; the styling on the V is pretty reminiscent of a five-dollar bill.

OT: As I said in the other thread, assuming they can fix almost every aspect of GTA IV - because it needs it, perfect scores my arse - I'll probably pick it up. Assuming the PC version isn't a fuck up like last time. And isn't 6 months late yet still full price, like last time.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Ah I remember how excited I was when the first GTA4 trailers were coming in. "I have killed people, sold people"

I found Saints Row 2 a glitchy mess whilst I loved GTA, Saints Row 3 might be good though

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Doclector said:
Please let there be actual, y'know, fun things to do between missions.
^This. GTA IV wasn't so bad, it's just that it was so focused on the narrative, everything else was awful. And everything else being quite literally in your cellphone >.<

dagill

Oct 20, 2011
I'll only be happy when San Andreas gets a sequel. I want to jetpack over Area 51 wearing a pimp outfit and a chaingun. Not that GTA4 wasn't good, but it lacked a lot of the fun things from GTA:SA.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Dear Rockstar,

New GTA? Meh.

When you make a new Red Dead, get back with me.

Sincerely,
Still Standing Resolute Near John Marston's Grave

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
This announcement doesn't really do much for me. I was sure they'll make this since they released GTA IV.
I hope they'll bring back some gameplay elements from San Andreas and the artistic style from Vice City.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Why did they feel the need to put "five" over the Roman numeral? Redundant title is redundant, that or they assume people are stupid.

On a different note, no more bullshit with friends and cousins please.

Mar 30, 2010
I'm just looking at the logo 'Grand Theft Auto V Five'. Apparently Rockstar believe we have the brainpower of undernourished spinach.

And this had better be a return to mindless fun and not another attempt at realism and man-dates.

EDIT -
Waaghpowa said:
Why did they feel the need to put "five" over the Roman numeral? Redundant title is redundant, that or they assume people are stupid.

On a different note, no more bullshit with friends and cousins please.
That's the second time I've been ninja'd in three posts! Will you goddamn ninjas go and pick on someone else?!?

RonHiler

Sep 16, 2004
The polish is off the GTA franchise for me, after the disaster that was GTA IV. This definitely won't be a pre-order from me. It will wait until the game is out and I can see if it is going back to it's GTA III roots (in which case I will buy it for sure) or continues the horribleness that was IV (in which case I'll give it a pass and pop in SR3 for another playthrough).