Update: Grand Theft Auto V Announced on Jack Thompson's Disbarment Anniversary

Mar 5, 2011
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
shameduser said:
I'm guessing Vancouver. Or Detroit. Or Sydney. Or Brisbane. Maybe Moscow?
How aboot Toronto eh? :3
I don't care where it's set as long long as it hasn't been done before.

Also if it's in Canada then mounties on horseback should be 6 stars and 5 stars for the army.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
Moosejaw said:
Harry Mason said:
I hate to be a jerk about this, but I'm pretty sure by the time this comes out I will have gone into a coma of happiness from how much fun I'm going to have with Saints Row: The Third. The day that Grand Theft Auto can match firing an octopus out of a gun from the top of a hover bike is the day I return to the series.
Or you could...enjoy both of them and get both of them? Especially since one is coming out way sooner than another? Nah, you're right, that's crazy.
It is crazy! Wasting precious dildo bludgeoning hours on trudging through Rockstar's bloated, boring game environments is the very definition of insane!

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I guess that Jackie is a tad bit mad right now.

OT: That freaking number doesn't tell me anything, could be a rapper, gangsta, something like the guy from San Andreas, I really don't know what to think about it. But other than that, I can't wait to see the trailer =D

Ready2Go

Jun 7, 2010
I wonder if they do some lost and the damned style dlc
i hope so, it was kinda cool to play as a character you saw through out the game.

Ready2Go

Jun 7, 2010
neonsword13-ops said:
Greg Tito said:
"Hey, Cousin!"
*In Thick Russian Accent*
"Sorry cousin, I'm busy. Maybe later."
"Alright, maybe another time...

Please, no more side quests with 2 dimesional characters to gain their friendship.

Well, hopefully Rockstar will fix the mistakes they made with IV and will make the series fun again.

he's Serbian

Ready2Go

Jun 7, 2010
"Who/what will the main character be?
-Will it be a she? (as speculated last time)
-will he/she be hispanic? (the only "ethnicity/race" they haven't done yet)
-Will the main character start out as a criminal (as per GTA tradition), or will they try something new by having a main character with a clean criminal record, who's life becomes entangled with the underworld?"

We haven't played an Irish american guy yet
as for the female protagonist, it depends on how the go about the game
if its a crazy gta 3 style game i'm fine with it, but if they go with gta4's gritty realism
then i feel like it could clash with the whole feel of the game.

Nov 28, 2007
Honestly, I was disappointed with GTA IV. Was it a good game? Yes, it was. In fact, I would go so far as to say it was great. But it wasn't fun for me like the older games. I still play San Andreas, just zooming around in my sports car before deciding to go up Mount Chilliad on a dirt bike, then go off the ramp at the top with it, letting myself fall for a second before bailing off my dirt bike and parachuting down to safety. There aren't any moments like that in GTA IV. Hopefully, they'll bring that "fun" factor back for V.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Ready2Go said:
neonsword13-ops said:
Greg Tito said:
"Hey, Cousin!"
*In Thick Russian Accent*
"Sorry cousin, I'm busy. Maybe later."
"Alright, maybe another time...

Please, no more side quests with 2 dimesional characters to gain their friendship.

Well, hopefully Rockstar will fix the mistakes they made with IV and will make the series fun again.

he's Serbian
And that's the thing that bothered me most about GTA IV (besides, you know being a poorly optimized port). Main character delivering lines in his native tongue with thick Russian accent, making them incomprehensible.

OT: I'm not really concerned with setting of GTA V. I'm actually more curious to how it will fare when compared to the likes of Saints Row 3. But maybe it's better this way, having 2 similar games that still feel and play differently. Gives us more to choose from, or if you just can't get enough of the sandbox games (and get both), something you'll sink 200+ hours in. However, I do wish Rockstar would abandon the brown and grey "realism" for more of a GTA III/Vice City/San Andreas approach.

EmzOLV

Oct 20, 2010
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Please, no cousins. Please.
Also, can we add on, that if you're going to include a date and relationship as a part of mandatory storyline, can it not be with someone who is blatently prepared to destroy you?

All main characters need genuine lovin' sometimes. Only for a while. Like a couple of missions. I don't want to go and pick some girl up who's already sharpening her knives when I get to the door.

In fact I don't want to even do the dating. Give me more stuff to destroy.

I am super excited though. There's only a few games I get like this on!

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
London, UK, or London, Britain darn it! I'm not sure if it would work. I guess it may do but the British mobster idea isn't quite the same as an American Gangster. It would be slightly less realistic to be able to stroll around and pick up guns, or more importantly, being chased by policemen with guns.

But GTA needs to be more silly, so all that would be forgivable. It would be more about the atmosphere of the setting and I guess I don't know London well enough to tell if it would work

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
It should be set in 70's manchester. and 6 stars should end up with you getting surrounded by armed bastards. The leader of whom drives a ford cortina. Cookies for reference?

OneTwoThreeBlast

Jun 24, 2010
Actually, the biggest reason for Thompson's disbarment was his record of insanely frivolous lawsuits. That was the most important official reason. "Abuse of the legal system," I believe they called it.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
ScorpioT said:

Looks familiar? Silver certificate from 1899. Surely it means nothing.
A turn-of-the-Century GTA?! That could be freaking awesome!! That would be a great excuse to make another major GTA in Liberty City too. You start off as an immigrant or, war vet from the recent U.S. vs Australia war or something and take it from there. The only problem I see is a lack of radio stations and possibly few cars if the game takes place too early, like 1900 or so. Also, I don't know when the U.S. vs Aus war takes place in the GTA universe.

Speaking of U.S. vs Aus, that would be a pretty sweet fictional conflict to cover in a future Rockstar title...like an FPS maybe?

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
It'll be interesting to see their next protagonist. November certainly is going to be a busy month, what between game releases and trailers. I'm lovin' it.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Anjel said:
GTA V: London?

No.

You'd get away with murder, literally, as the police are very rarely found wandering the streets and secondly, as someone else said, UK police get pointy sticks in place of guns. Modern London gangsters would be a nice twist but to be fair it wouldn't be too difficult to have a Cockney gangster who happens to live in sunny San Andreas and give him all the cliche stories and quotes.

I know we've been over this, but I'd quite like to see GTA V: Wild West, where in place of cars we were given horses, and instead of drug cartels we had highwaymen and moonshiners, and in place of rocket launches and uzis we have Wild West themed guns... and hey, instead of prostitutes we could have, um, prostitutes. /sarcasm
Remember that thing called red dead redemption?

Felstaff

Sep 19, 2011
Waaghpowa said:
Why did they feel the need to put "five" over the Roman numeral?
"Roman Numerals? They never even tried to teach us that in school!"

As for GTA (Grand Theft Auto) V (Five) itself, I was actually hoping they'd shoot for a bit of a dystopian slightly-futurish-yet-hint-of-steampunk look like they did with GTA2. I hated it at first, but now I think it was a bold move, and highly underrated. They definitely need to stick to the old mantra of "crime is fun!" as GTAIV didn't create nearly half the shocked tabloid waves of GTAIII.

Or perhaps a remake of London 1969/1961. I loved the cheeky "you're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Mickey Caine gangster style. If they can accurately represent London in the Swinging Sixties geographically and architecturally (as they did in The Getaway), as well as tone and environment, then I think it would be golden.

Mayhaps even have several global cities, like they did with GTA1 and 2. Would be cool tearing through Tokyo, before breaking banks in Bangkok, then rocking round Rio. Or something.