UPDATE: Kojima's Next Game: "5" or "S"?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
UPDATE: Kojima's Next Game: "5" or "S"?

The teaser site hinting at legendarily-insane developer Hideo Kojima's next game has been updated with an image, indicating that Kojima Productions' upcoming title will have something to do with the number 5. Or, possibly the letter S.

Quick recap: been updated [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91698-Kojima-Productions-Teases-Next-Game].

It's a similar image to the magazine ad - a rolling, grass-covered plain beneath a stormy, cloud-filled sky. However, there are two major differences: For one, the site's image is animated and features sound - the repeated crack of thunder, to be precise. For another, there's the faint outline of a character that flashes and dims with the lightning. It's clearly either the number 5 or the letter S, but thanks to the font, it's too ambiguous to tell.

Last week, our very own Keane Ng wildly speculated that the stormy skies indicated that the new game would be a Metal Gear title starring MGS2 protagonist Raiden ("Raiden" being Japanese for "lightning"), and the repeated thunderclaps - with the corresponding flashes of the symbol - do lend some credence to this theory. But, is it a "5" or an "S"?

The argument for it being a 5 is obvious - if Kojima were to make a next Metal Gear Solid, it would be the fifth game in the main numbered series. Still, one could make a good case for it being an "S." The bonus editions of both Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 were "Substance" and "Subsistence," respectively. So it stands to reason that if Kojima were to re-release a special edition of MGS4, he'd continue with the pattern.

Plus, Solid Snake? Both words start with S. That can't be a coincidence. ... ok, actually, it could. Still, though, the point about the hypothetical MGS4 bonus edition stands.

Whatever it is, the site also contains a countdown - 81:28:02 at the time of writing - when one can assume there will be yet another announcement. So, last Wednesday's teaser was an announcement for an announcement, which in turn is announcing another announcement. Good to know.

(The endless and completely unsubstantiated fanboy speculation that this will be a bonus edition of MGS4 coming out for the Xbox 360 can start... right now.)

Update: Well, well, well. It looks like enterprising Metal Gear fans [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15892526&postcount=1183] have poked around the site's source code, and have found that the current countdown clock is just one of five individual clocks - hey, there's the number five again - set to overlap one another over the next few weeks. Incidentally, the very last clock will tick 00:00:00 on June 1st - the first day of E3. Also, for you conspiracy theorists out there, the day of Microsoft's press conference.

Also, the site's keywords are "Hideo Kojima", "MGS", "METAL GEAR", "NEXT", "game", "Konami", "Kojima game", "KJP", and "Kojima Production" - but, interestingly enough, not "MGS5." Finally, you can reportedly make out April 2007 means nothing [http://kotaku.com/5258935/kojima-takes-countdown-clocks-to-their-absurd-conclusion].)

Curiouser and curiouser, Kojima-san...

(Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5258665/kojima-productions-updates-website-with-5-or-s])

Gildedtongue

Nov 9, 2007
Or the "S" could stand for "Snatchers." Considering that's more than likely the "Project S" that SUDA 51 and Kojima are working together on (Not sure if it was confirmed that it was or not).

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Perhaps it's all an elaborate Skittles viral ad campaign. Once the timer is done, a rainbow will appear and shower the countryside with fruity goodness.

Wayne Insane

May 14, 2009
All fanboyism aside, I really hope it's a 360 port of mgs4.
Not cause I'm an Xbox fanboy, I just am Happy when I can save the 400 ? for the PS3.
But actually I don't believe it.I'm pretty sure it will be a new Metal Gear in the works.Because it's pretty much Sonys biggest cash cow left, and I can't imagine that they wouldn't want to milk it some more.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Wait wait wait.

Wasn't the last MGS, MGS 4? Wouldn't it make sense that this was MGS 5?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
thisnameistaken2 said:
Sparrow Tag said:
Wait wait wait.

Wasn't the last MGS, MGS 4? Wouldn't it make sense that this was MGS 5?
This is Hideo Kojima were talking about
(Did not take this into consideration when he posted)

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
bah im getting sucked into the hype for an as yet unknown game that I know ill have absolutely no interest in playing or buying or even following once they name it. Damn cunning marketing *glares*

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
My money's on an expanded version of MGS4. Seems to fit the timeframe that expanded versions took to come out (allowing a few months extra assuming the extra content takes longer to develop on the PS3). If they release it, I am learning from my past mistakes. I will buy it on release day instead of waiting for the price to go down and never seeing it available for a reasonable price again. I don't even own a PS3 yet.

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
maybe it stands for "Suckers"
as in... you lot are suckers... hey kojima is implying it, not me!
I love you guys ;D

Nico4

Dec 24, 2008
either MGS5 or Project S (Snatcher). I can't see how Xbox fans can make it seem like it'll be on the Xbox though

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Nico4 said:
either MGS5 or Project S (Snatcher). I can't see how Xbox fans can make it seem like it'll be on the Xbox though
You underestimate them.