Update: Left 4 Dead 2 Is Free On Steam, Merry Christmas!

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Reckon I got mine in the last minute. Picked it up and a few minutes later decided to tell my Facebook-friends. Checked to make sure it was still free, but it wasn't. Played it a bit with a friend a year back. Can't say it was very intresting, and I don't care for online games these days, though hopefully there is a single player campain?

Oh well. Thanks for sharing!

Donzacuceron

Sep 22, 2012
Basal said:
Hmm Certainly isn't free for me

Is it only free in certain countries?
You were too late I believe

dyre said:
Honestly I couldn't get into either L4D entry (I do remember a failed boycott of L4D2 though, that was amusing) but good on Valve for spreading the Christmas spirit
Too bad It had the opposite effect I mean damn the L4D2 forums are nothing but whining and complaining.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I wasn't able to snag it because while the sale was going steam client wouldn't load. Friends had similar issues. It must've got slammed.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Mr.Tea said:
Sarge034 said:
The big thing is that they added too many new infected and broke the balance. In L4D you could have at the most 2 insta-incap and one delayed incap infected while playing. In L4D2 you could have a full team of 4 insta-incap infected. The spitter, that projects an acid AOE, completely destroyed the only working tactics for surviving expert mode. Everything else is personal taste including; music, character personality, level design, and aesthetics. In short, it was skill that determined winners in L4D. The infected win in L4D2.
Perfectly logical and understandable reasons... Thank you for explaining properly.

Bindal said:
Entirely different gameplay? Maps and Characters alone don't make "the entire content", you know? And L4D2 has pretty much the opposite gameplay than L4D1.
"Entirely different" and "opposite" gameplay? Sure you're not exaggerating just a tiny, little, planet-sized bit here? But it's all right; Sarge up there explained, rationally, how L4D2's few additions can affect a certain level of play.
Dont you know, Left 4 Dead 2 is a JRPG/Racing sim where you use your powers of telekinesis to control ambulances while inside a helicopter to save the lives of everyone else that was left for dead too during the events of the first game?

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
bafrali said:
They are giving away free games. Better ***** about to make sure it is ruined for everybody.
People asked why hate existed. I answered. I'm not still terribly bitter about it, I was never that engrossed in zombie games to begin with (they're insanely overdone, and almost none of them are good) so when L4D1 turned out to be an alright multiplayer experience, I was pleasantly surprised. When they followed it up with a too-soon cash grab ignoring all the players that supported the franchise by buying into it making a sequel possible, I was in the pissed crowd. I got a chance to play 2 on a friend's 360 though, and it was pretty much worse in every way. So I just wrote it off as a dead franchise.

Shit, I liked the good final fantasies, but after years of those blowing ass, I'm not holding out hope that FF15: This Time Ripping Off Devil May Cry will be the golden egg that returns the series to its glorious roots. There's a difference between being bitter and being realistic. I gave L4D1 a chance to surprise me, and it did; a great co-op experience with suitable difficulty and enough neat dialog from the characters to keep replays from feeling too stale. I gave l4d2 a chance to surprise me... and it didn't. I got pretty much what I was expecting; a buggy game with forgettable characters and shitty maps, trading quality dialog for shallow additions like chainsaws. As if we haven't seen chainsaws enough in zombie games.

I still added it to my steam library, but I doubt I'll ever play it. Those games are typically only popular for a few months on release, and finding groups (particularly of friends I know) to play it with is difficult years after the fact.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
DanielBrown said:
Reckon I got mine in the last minute. Picked it up and a few minutes later decided to tell my Facebook-friends. Checked to make sure it was still free, but it wasn't. Played it a bit with a friend a year back. Can't say it was very intresting, and I don't care for online games these days, though hopefully there is a single player campain?

You can play the whole game through singleplayer, but the AI bots of your teammates are not very smart! I highly recommended getting a few friends to play co-op with.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
DanielBrown said:

There are lots of modes you can play solo, but I really do recommend playing with people. The bots more-often-than-not do their job adequately, but sometimes...

Let's just say there's a LOT of things going on at any given moment. A lot of things for the AI to consider. As such, it doesn't always to the "smart" thing.

If you ever need someone to run a campaign with, I'm usually up for a run. Unlike most, I actually enjoy running the campaigns. Especially on Realism Expert.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
Chaosritter said:
I really hope so. The Steam servers are so fucking overburdened, it simply stops downloading at times.
Where do you live? Antarctica? With Steam I get download speeds that are occasionally higher than what I pay for, and consistently high.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
Living_Brain said:
Chaosritter said:
I really hope so. The Steam servers are so fucking overburdened, it simply stops downloading at times.
Where do you live? Antarctica? With Steam I get download speeds that are occasionally higher than what I pay for, and consistently high.
Steam's servers were absolutely slammed yesterday, since so many people were downloading L4D2. The store was down for about six hours.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
bafrali said:
They are giving away free games. Better ***** about to make sure it is ruined for everybody.
A free turd is still a turd. Doesn't make it instantly a goldbar just because you didn't pay for it.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Mr.Tea said:
Entirely different" and "opposite" gameplay? Sure you're not exaggerating just a tiny, little, planet-sized bit here? But it's all right; Sarge up there explained, rationally, how L4D2's few additions can affect a certain level of play.
While I appreciate the praise, it is completely opposite gameplay. In L4D it was about teamwork, communication, and movement depending on the situation. In L4D2 you have to sprint free ball in the hopes that you can get further than the enemy team does.

To show just how different the gameplay is. I was almost excepted to a pro L4D team (long story), ran experts for fun, and my bro would routinely run noobs through expert so they could get the achievements with me just for the handicap. I have one campaign completed in L4D2 on expert by the grace of god... and four of the most stressful continuous hours of my life.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Bindal said:
bafrali said:
A free turd is still a turd. Doesn't make it instantly a goldbar just because you didn't pay for it.
To you maybe? A lot of other people seem to enjoy the title. Everyone is entitled to like and dislike things, clearly you don't like it. I can respect that, but why keep stating it as though it is a fact when it's not.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
Sarge034 said:
You know what would really be cool? If they gave out L4D for free. You know, the GOOD one.

Anyway, it is cool that Valve is doing something for the holidays.
Since when is the sequel to Left 4 Dead 1 not better in every single way possible? As well as being very slightly better looking with better optimization and significantly better gore? As well as having every map of the original game at this point anywho?
This conversation has been had. Read the conversation chain. The short answer is at its' conception.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Valve works hard to keep L4D2 alive for seemingly no reason. Putting it on 99% off sales and free weekends every month, giving it away for free...

I hate them for it, I really do. Still bitter years later.