[UPDATE] Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Comic Artist Accidentally Confirms Galactus?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
[UPDATE] Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Comic Artist Accidentally Confirms Galactus?

Alleged images from the Marvel vs. Capcom 3 comic adaptation posted in an artist's online portfolio have seemingly confirmed that the Marvel and Capcom heroes will be battling the world-eating Galactus and some other dude.

Earlier this month, an anonymous Twitter poster Taskmasker [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106148-Twitter-Poster-Supposedly-Reveals-Marvel-vs-Capcom-3-Secrets] (a Captain America villain), famous X-Person Jean Grey/Phoenix, and a mutant-hunting Sentinel robot would be joining the fray on Marvel's side of things. The game's final boss would be the planet eater, Galactus.

Earlier today, artist Kevin Sharpe - who is reportedly working on the Marvel vs. Capcom comic book - uploaded some images of the comic to his personal portfolio. As well as depicting things that are just blatantly silly - like Chris Redfield taking on the Hulk with a shotgun (really, Chris? It'll just make him angry, and you wouldn't, etc etc.) - the images showed both Galactus and Taskmasker alongside the characters already announced for the game.

The images have already been taken off of Sharpe's portfolio, but much like an elephant the Internet never forgets - they're all up on Shoryuken [http://shoryuken.com/content/marvel-vs-capcom-3-comic-book-art-reveal-taskmaster-galactus-2941/].

While this still isn't an official confirmation of anything, it makes the information leaked via Twitter seem that much more likely.

And here I was crossing my fingers that Capcom would suddenly surprise us with Phoenix Wright or Frank West (again). Alas, it is not to be. How sad.

Update: We have been informed that the source of these images was not actually Kevin Sharpe's portfolio as originally posted. There is no word where they do actually come from - this could be a hoax, or someone else could have been behind the leak and sought to deflect blame onto Mr. Sharpe.

(Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/27/rumor-marvel-vs-capcom-3-comic-art-reveals-galactus-and-taskma/])

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
YES! I love Taskmaster. So, will his special change depending on who he is fighting?
No? Dang.
Will he be able to instantly learn all of his opponent's moves? Including super/specials?
No? Dang.
Will he ba able to see every attack before it occurs from their movement, then block the attack, and follow with a counter from the plethora of fighting styles he has seen, making him, for all intents and purposes, unbeatable except through a few lucky tag team hits?
No? Dang.
I feel sorry for the guy who was balancing the game.
Hey, make the sentinel's rocket punch a little longer, so he can be damaged if the opponent gets really close.
*phone rings
(insert name) here. Insert a new character? We could do that, who is it? TASKMASTER? The guy who instantly reads his opponent, revealing all attacks, entire fighting style, weak points, and how to block him after one punch? WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT?
Anyway, the cast is looking nice. Really hope it's balanced, but it looks more to be a fun button masher, which isn't bad. Either way, I'll be getting this, probably the special edition.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Why is Akuma in it? I thought Capcom promised no more shoto's?

Also I suspect Jean Grey is coming in as Ms. Marvel as that was her original name.
The_root_of_all_evil said:
John Funk said:
Marvel and Capcom heroes will be battling the world-eating Galactus and some other dude.
Oh god...they're finally going to do it....
Snip

Aunt May, Herald of Galactus!
A herald of Galactus. He has 2 or so others.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
gigastar said:
Why is Akuma in it? I thought Capcom promised no more shoto's?

Also I suspect Jean Grey is coming in as Ms. Marvel as that was her original name.
John Funk said:
Marvel and Capcom heroes will be battling the world-eating Galactus and some other dude.
Snip

A herald of Galactus. He has 2 or so others.
I'd guess that if Marvel is getting the final boss, the second boss is going to be from Capcom in some way. Perhaps an unexpected character transformed into a Herald of Galactus. Something like Cosmic-Powered Dan Hibiki or something. ;P

That said, I'm not sure if I'll be buying this game. I already feel dirty over having gotten "Starcraft 2" as a Christmas gift. Capcom's company policies, especially when it comes to DLC, are paticularly bad, and from what I've been reading they are launching this game with the intention of gouging people fast and furious. Characters being developed for DLC already before the game is even released. By buying this product, your pretty much saying that this is okay (whether you like it or not), and encouraging them to keep right on doing it. There is an excuse for every game that people want, and even waiting so long for another "Marvel Vs. Capcom" game, I think the issues involved are bigger than the game itself. Hard to really complain about how the game industry behaves, and how it's becoming increasingly expensive in a bad economy (quite probably on it's way to becoming a rich man's hobby), when people get all psyched up for games like this even knowing ahead of time how they will be marketed.

Such are my thoughts. Cool game, but really it leaves a bad feeling in my mouth. It's also hard for me to get excited about character releases, when the game is unlikely to actually have a solid roster. I mean over the next year or so they are probably going to release every character that fans are demanding, and then some for like $5 apiece or whatever.

Of course all of this will change if they put Squirrel Girl into the game, the best, worst Marvel character of all time (so stupid she's cool). Of course given that she's already beaten Galactus, she'd probably be too overpowered, but hey, since when does Capcom care about game balance? :)

-

Oh and a bit of a nerdgasm here:

While not the world's foremost expert, Jean Grey was "Marvel Girl". "Ms. Marvel" is a differant character, whose most direct connection to the X-men was in getting her powers drained by Rogue where they had a permanant effect. She later developed other powers however and has been active as characters like "Binary" and "Warbird" as well as "Ms. Marvel".

To be entirely honest I'd rather they kept Ms. Marvel out of pretty much anything she's involved in nowadays, they really should have just let the character die. She's pretty much a radical feminist and seems to have become something of a rallying point for some of the most ridiculous criticisms of comics out there, not to mention people jumping all over Chris Claremont and his body of work. I have little against the character itself, I just don't like the baggage that goes along with it, both inside and outside of comics. It's sort of like how I have a hard time with "She-Hulk" ever since someone decided to approve a storyline where they put Eros (the god of male sexuality... or well, an Eternal with mind powers along those lines) on trial for rape for possessing super-charisma, and being irresistable to women. I won't go into a blow by blow but let's just say that it's as stupid as it sounds, and even worse for the simple fact that it tries to take itself very seriously.

At any rate, you can probably draw your own conclusions from the following (and the spins involved). This pretty much summarizes why I think Ms. Marvel should just be retired already because her very existance carries so much baggage that it's ridiculous... following that link (just so nobody gets the wrong idea) the term "rape" in the title is figurative. You'll understand if you read it.

http://www.carolastrickland.com/comics/msmarvel/index.html

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
John Funk said:

What the fuck???

Well isn't that funny news!

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
You wanted Phoenix Wright in a fighting game? Does he have fighting skills? Although he might have been one of the hardiest characters seeing all the mess he's walked away from.

Back on topic, Galactus better be playable.

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
Nouw said:
John Funk said:

What the fuck???

Well isn't that funny news!
What the fuck is this? That image is absurdly creepy. I don't even...ugh.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
How is it that Galactus can be a main villain when the trailer very specifically showed Dormamu as the villain for the game? I mean, the subtitle is "The Fate of Two Worlds". Dormamu makes the most sense seeing as how he is an extra dimensional being that goes about invading and devouring dimensions. Not to mention he is an already confirmed character, where Galactus is just extra cool speculation at this point. I will say this though, it's lame that they would put Dormamu in but not Doctor Strange, and Galactus but no FF4 characters and no Silver Surfer.

As far as the DLC is concerned, I'm super excited. I am looking forward to an expansive character roster when all is said and done. I would imagine these will be released like the costume packs for Super Street Fighter 4. I don't mind them having more content as time goes on. This is the point of DLC, to bring people back into a game that would further the experience for the folks who have already played it. This will also serve to enhance the largest aspect of a Versus fighting game, the multiplayer. I am looking forward to lots and lots of fun hours with my friends on this one.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
bahumat42 said:
F-I-D-O said:
YES! I love Taskmaster. So, will his special change depending on who he is fighting?
No? Dang.
Will he be able to instantly learn all of his opponent's moves? Including super/specials?
No? Dang.
Will he ba able to see every attack before it occurs from their movement, then block the attack, and follow with a counter from the plethora of fighting styles he has seen, making him, for all intents and purposes, unbeatable except through a few lucky tag team hits?
No? Dang.
I feel sorry for the guy who was balancing the game.
Hey, make the sentinel's rocket punch a little longer, so he can be damaged if the opponent gets really close.
*phone rings
(insert name) here. Insert a new character? We could do that, who is it? TASKMASTER? The guy who instantly reads his opponent, revealing all attacks, entire fighting style, weak points, and how to block him after one punch? WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT?
Anyway, the cast is looking nice. Really hope it's balanced, but it looks more to be a fun button masher, which isn't bad. Either way, I'll be getting this, probably the special edition.

um your overestimating taskmaster. He ca mimiick (and understand) an opponents moves to some degree. But if you fight randomly or out of your normal way you can easily trump him (he doesnt just pick it up on the fly he has to research and learn) hense why deadpool frequently hands him his ass in the comics (because of his mental state thus having no discernable pattern)
Deadpool beat Cipher, who can read anything, and understand it almost immediately. Cipher was beating on a whole bunch of people, Deadpool shows up, and totally tromps Cipher. The reason is because Deadpool couldn't be read, for the reason you stated yourself.

jaoblia

Jul 21, 2009
Wait... does Marvel own the character rights along with publishing for Kick-Ass? Cause Hit Girl Would be AWESOME.