UPDATE: Mass Effect 3's Multiplayer is incredible. (Added my refletions and a quick guide)

surg3n

May 16, 2011
I'm not a big fan of Mass Effect, thought the first game was too wordy and conveluted, I prefer my games to shut up and let me get on with it. But honestly, a good multiplayer mode can make a world of difference to how enjoyable these games are for everyone (not just ME fans), it might just make me a Mass Effect convert.

eventhorizon525

Sep 14, 2010
I was skeptical at first when I heard about the co-op (like I take it many people were). However, the beta mp feels very polished, at least compared to the single player. There are some aforementioned button issues (I want to REVIVE that person, not take cover over their dead body), and certain moves are really difficult to deal with in even minor lag (mostly biotic moves involving lifts, etc). However, the gameplay is still pretty smooth and works well with people actually trying to be a team.

Also, the random packs for upgrades are addicting, if frustrating at times.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
My only anger is that I can't be a Krogan or Turian Vanguard. Other than that, I will be playing it when I get home from work.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Elamdri said:
I think it's honestly got to be the best multiplayer I have experienced in a long, long while. It's challenging, it's dynamic, you need to use teamwork to succeed, and so many of the design decisions add depth to the combat. I love the idea of 1 time use items that force you to make important rationing decisions in combat. I love that there are different builds of each class depending on what race you play, but each race of a single class gains levels at the same time, so you aren't punished if you want to stop being a human soldier and become a krogan.

Thoughts?
Agreed, I have a stigma of Hating Online Multiplayer FPS games, but I was really having fun last night.

And since everyone can have different character builds it adds a lot of spice to the gameplay.

Is there going to be an escapist guild or group?
I would love to join in.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
played 2 matches last night and it was good! Definitely will be playing MP when full game will come out.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah, I know I was impressed. Go through all the trouble of entering my EA account details for a fucking demo and then got told that there's no access to multiplayer yet. Hey, EA. Go eat a bag of dicks. It's a demo, everything should work without people having to play BF3 or check every day to see if it fucking works yet (and without logging in to your utterly stupid origin accounts). And now I no longer give a shit about your gameplay denying demo, because I have Twisted Metal.

Besides, if I want horde mode, I'll go play Gears 3, a game with a combat system that works for this sort of thing. If Pinnacle Station in ME1 and Arrival in ME2 taught us anything, it's that Mass Effect with only the combat to hold up the game SUCKS ASS.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Swny Nerdgasm said:
I thought I read somewhere that multiplayer opens up single player content? is this true?
No. It offers an additional way to help the galactic readiness for fighting the Reapers. You can achieve all of the same endings/single=player content by just doing single-player and ignoring the multiplayer.
However, I have found the multiplayer to be quite an enjoyable experience. Requires more tactics and teamwork than a lot of other wave based modes from other games.

kyoodle

Dec 4, 2009
Yeah I'm not usually that into multi-player but this has really got me interested. Bloody hard, although that could just be because I ended up in a silver round at level 1.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
mjc0961 said:
Yeah, I know I was impressed. Go through all the trouble of entering my EA account details for a fucking demo and then got told that there's no access to multiplayer yet. Hey, EA. Go eat a bag of dicks. It's a demo, everything should work without people having to play BF3 or check every day to see if it fucking works yet (and without logging in to your utterly stupid origin accounts). And now I no longer give a shit about your gameplay denying demo, because I have Twisted Metal.

Besides, if I want horde mode, I'll go play Gears 3, a game with a combat system that works for this sort of thing. If Pinnacle Station in ME1 and Arrival in ME2 taught us anything, it's that Mass Effect with only the combat to hold up the game SUCKS ASS.
ENTITLEMENT WOOOT!
You just have to wait 2 days What is wrong with that?
You are so freaking entitled you already got a demo you just have to wait 2 days for UNLIMITED MULTIPLAYER till the game launches.
Yeeesh be happy you even got a demo.
You are what's wrong with gamer's today never happy,always whining,and complaining when you don't get everything handed to you on a golden plate.

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
I had a blast zipping around as a vanguard into hot spots and helping (stealing kills from) my teammates. Granted, I'm not usually much of a mutiplayer kinda guy, so I don't have much to compare it too, but I had a blast.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
surg3n said:
I'm not a big fan of Mass Effect, thought the first game was too wordy and conveluted, I prefer my games to shut up and let me get on with it. But honestly, a good multiplayer mode can make a world of difference to how enjoyable these games are for everyone (not just ME fans), it might just make me a Mass Effect convert.
You're in luck! If you don't like having to sift through tones of dialogue options and prefer to just play the game, you can choose at the beginning to play the game either:
RPG: The normal way which has all of the gunplay and all of the dialogue options open for you to choose.
Story: The main focus is the dialogue and you can rofl stomp any enemy with great ease because they are so easy.
Action (probably what you would play): The game makes all of the dialogue choices for you and you get to jump right back into the gunplay.

I will be playing on RPG mode.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
The cover system REALLY needed an upgrade, getting in and out of cover is a complete mess and since the enemies love to spam grenades it gets annoying.

Also why doesnt it scale? If there are only 2 players dont give me objectives that are still challenging for 4 players. When we have to assassinate the guys with the shields its usually game over

EDIT: I really dont like how "A" does everything, if a teammate is down near a beacon it is a mess to revive him.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
Swny Nerdgasm said:
I thought I read somewhere that multiplayer opens up single player content? is this true?
Yes and no. Due to how the system in ME3 works, playing the Multiplayer can help you achieve the best ending in the game. However, this is completely optional, as you can still get the ending without even touching the Multiplayer. In Multiplayer, one mode is specifically to help the Singleplayer, and the other is just normal, fun play. Least that is how I believe it works.

On Topic: I too was surprised at how good the Multiplayer actually was. I mean, I knew I was going to play it/at least try it out, but its actually good! I think it requires quite a lot of teamwork, as you can't really go off gallivanting by yourself too often. I feel the Sentinel and Engineer classes are going to be the more go to classes, but that's just because they have Warp/Incinerate/Overload/etc filled out for most of their skills. I also like how specific alien races are better at overall jobs. The Quarian Infiltrator for example, is the only one that has Sabotage, which I imagine would be VERY useful against the Atlas and enemy Turrets. I really like that not choosing the map gives you bonus XP; hopefully that works the same when choosing enemy types. I find the Multiplayer to find the right balance of challenge too. I complained at first about how hard it was, but I was having a blast. Also, its best to NEVER forget about Heavy Melee attacks, they are a Godsend in many situations.

Though if I had to list some bad points...

-Credits. I feel like I don't earn enough of them. In the demo we have Recruit and Veteran packs, but in the real game we'll have two other ones I believe. So unless the Credits are a bit tweaked, something tells me I'm going to be in the silver category a lot. Personally, I think it would work out to get like 20 Credits for every kill or something, but that probably throws off the balance of things, lol.

-To me, it feels like you can have a pretty rough time in the beginning. While not "bad" exactly, its just you don't have anything put into your skills.

-Bonus objectives are mandatory. I mean, yeah its the only way to make credits, but when that "Kill enemy Target" comes up and I only have a minute, we're all going to be rushing and making mistakes.

-Enemy Turrets. Jesus are those things powerful. And maybe its just me, but I think they blend a bit too much in the background, lol.

Think that's really it. At least those are my impressions from someone who has mostly been in Bronze and a couple of Silver.

Oh, and I must apologize for many people as I play a Vanguard. I try to be careful when charging, I really do! Its just that sometimes when I see a lone guy and I charge I don't notice the 3 other guys and the Atlas mech/enemy Turret around the corner. You can't blame me! I need 100% regen to shields really fast/I wanted to help take out the Enemy Target! I didn't mean to go down and cause the whole team to fail trying to get to me because I didn't have any medigel. Please forgive me...

boag

Sep 13, 2010
josemlopes said:
The cover system REALLY needed an upgrade, getting in and out of cover is a complete mess and since the enemies love to spam grenades it gets annoying.

Also why doesnt it scale? If there are only 2 players dont give me objectives that are still challenging for 4 players. When we have to assassinate the guys with the shields its usually game over
Well I found that once you level up enough you can pretty much solo the maps. unless you get one of those Cerberus Cyber ninjas that one shots everything but Krogan Soldiers.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Xathos said:
Swny Nerdgasm said:
Yes and no. Due to how the system in ME3 works, playing the Multiplayer can help you achieve the best ending in the game. However, this is completely optional, as you can still get the ending without even touching the Multiplayer. In Multiplayer, one mode is specifically to help the Singleplayer, and the other is just normal, fun play. Least that is how I believe it works.

On Topic: I too was surprised at how good the Multiplayer actually was. I mean, I knew I was going to play it/at least try it out, but its actually good! I think it requires quite a lot of teamwork, as you can't really go off gallivanting by yourself too often. I feel the Sentinel and Engineer classes are going to be the more go to classes, but that's just because they have Warp/Incinerate/Overload/etc filled out for most of their skills. I also like how specific alien races are better at overall jobs. The Quarian Infiltrator for example, is the only one that has Sabotage, which I imagine would be VERY useful against the Atlas and enemy Turrets. I really like that not choosing the map gives you bonus XP; hopefully that works the same when choosing enemy types. I find the Multiplayer to find the right balance of challenge too. I complained at first about how hard it was, but I was having a blast. Also, its best to NEVER forget about Heavy Melee attacks, they are a Godsend in many situations.

Though if I had to list some bad points...

-Credits. I feel like I don't earn enough of them. In the demo we have Recruit and Veteran packs, but in the real game we'll have two other ones I believe. So unless the Credits are a bit tweaked, something tells me I'm going to be in the silver category a lot. Personally, I think it would work out to get like 20 Credits for every kill or something, but that probably throws off the balance of things, lol.

-To me, it feels like you can have a pretty rough time in the beginning. While not "bad" exactly, its just you don't have anything put into your skills.

-Bonus objectives are mandatory. I mean, yeah its the only way to make credits, but when that "Kill enemy Target" comes up and I only have a minute, we're all going to be rushing and making mistakes.

-Enemy Turrets. Jesus are those things powerful. And maybe its just me, but I think they blend a bit too much in the background, lol.

Think that's really it. At least those are my impressions from someone who has mostly been in Bronze and a couple of Silver.

Oh, and I must apologize for many people as I play a Vanguard. I try to be careful when charging, I really do! Its just that sometimes when I see a lone guy and I charge I don't notice the 3 other guys and the Atlas mech/enemy Turret around the corner. You can't blame me! I need 100% regen to shields really fast/I wanted to help take out the Enemy Target! I didn't mean to go down and cause the whole team to fail trying to get to me because I didn't have any medigel. Please forgive me...
Dont worry about charging, thats what sentinels are for, pulling peoples asses out of the fire.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Draech said:
I think a lot of this is an Easy-to-learn-hard-to-master issue.

I see a lot of the problems you have would be solved by changing your play style to fit the scenario. I didn't have a problem and I am assuming that when the lvls kick in you will be in gold difficulty no time.
Yeah, the only problem with gold is that the enemy gets even more intelligent and harder to kill.

my god I had never been outsmarted by an AI before this day, It took me a while to learn team tactics just so I wouldnt get one shotted by flanking enemy troopers.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
boag said:
josemlopes said:

Well I found that once you level up enough you can pretty much solo the maps. unless you get one of those Cerberus Cyber ninjas that one shots everything but Krogan Soldiers.
I hate those things.

Whenever they got close, even my vanguard had to run like a little girl.

It was immensely satisfying when I ran into one while playing a berserk, fortified Krogan. Head-butt frenzy ensued.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Zhukov said:
boag said:
josemlopes said:

I hate those things.

Whenever they got close, even my vanguard had to run like a little girl.

It was immensely satisfying when I ran into one while playing a berserk, fortified Krogan. Head-butt frenzy ensued.
A krogan on the Team really does make a difference, I had the opportunity to play with one on the team, the only thing I needed to worry about was killing of the stragglers and giving cover fire when he was running to recharge shields.