UPDATE: Mass Effect 3's Multiplayer is incredible. (Added my refletions and a quick guide)

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Zhukov said:
AlternatePFG said:
Does anyone else find the new cover system incredibly awkward on the PC?
Not really.

I occasionally do a cover switch when I intended to leave cover, but that's about the sum of it.
Eh, never mind, I figured my problem out. The in-game Origin overlay was killing my framerate for some reason. (I've never used Origin before) I noticed the frame-rate issue, but I thought that it was on the account of my computer being old. Disabled it, and now going in and out of cover is much smoother.

So it wasn't a cover complaint, it was a frame rate complaint, and that turned out to be easily solvable. Still hate how many of the commands are confined to one or two buttons though.

Liking the demo, the multiplayer bit seems like something I would play occasionally.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
Joshimodo said:
Engineer? Best class? No sir, not at all. That's the Drell, Vanguard or Adept.

I play Sentinel, which is probably the 2nd best supporting class (after the Infiltrator). Access to Warp for peeling away enemy defences (which is incredibly useful for those Phantoms), Throw for totally negating Guardian shields (and generally being a spam attack), and a permanent 25-45% damage reduction from the tech armour.

The Drell Vanguard with a shotgun + bayonet is obscenely powerful. Charge into enemy, straight into melee, instant health bar gone for the enemy (apart from the Atlas, of course). Charge recharges straight away, so you can either escape if it's an Atlas or Guardian, or spam it and the extended melee to more or less OHK anything.
Then, there's the Cluster Grenades. Once they are maxed, they can halve the number of enemies in a few throws. They aren't as damaging as the Frags of course, but they make up for it with hilarious ragdolling and larger coverage.

The Drell Adept is just mental. Reave + Cluster Grenades + Modded Carnifex/Phalanx pistol, and you're nigh-invincible.

Anyway, I too am impressed - Or at least, not disappointed. I expected a tacky, rammed-in multiplayer like Bioshock 2's or so on. Instead, I got an entertaining and challenging (on higher difficulty) horde mode with RPG elements (and not just useless levelling, either).

Good job, BioWare. Now as long as you haven't made the singleplayer campaign rife with clichés and bad choices, you've done us proud. The combat and RPG-ness is significantly improved over ME2, and you've removed some of the awful design choices made between ME and ME2.
I never said it was the "best" I said it was a good Go-to class. The reality is that ALL the classes are good (which is a really impressive feat to be honest), I just found that the Engineer was a good "Pick up and Go" class. His cooldowns are RIDICULOUSLY fast, about 2 seconds for combat drone on my Engi, and he has access to Overload for bringing down shields and Barriers and Incinerate for Armor. Combat Drone meanwhile is a excellent battlefield control spell because it can be used to flush enemies from cover, distract enemies so you can shoot them freely or escape from them, stun them so you can line up shots, and a host of other useful things. And since the Combat Drone lasts for quite a while, you can start slinging overloads and incinerates while it's up.

But I've yet to run into a class/race combo that didn't work in the right hands. Everything wrecks face when played right.

tendaji

Aug 15, 2008
I really hope the final version has a respecing system. Mainly because I wanted to try out different builds. Like with the Quarian Sentry Drone, I went with flamethrower because who wouldn't want a tiny drone to shoot a huge pillar of fire. Well now I'd like to try the rockets, but the ability is locked that you can't do anything.

Dec 14, 2009
tendaji said:
I really hope the final version has a respecing system. Mainly because I wanted to try out different builds. Like with the Quarian Sentry Drone, I went with flamethrower because who wouldn't want a tiny drone to shoot a huge pillar of fire. Well now I'd like to try the rockets, but the ability is locked that you can't do anything.
I imagine in the full game, there'd be a respec card that you can get in the crates or maybe you have to spend X amount of credits.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Soldier is just so boring in multiplayer, it's okay in singeplayer cos you have the other 2 squadmates to command but it's so boring in multiplayer.

I'm having fun as a Vanguard, can fuck serious shit up once you've upgraded your melee a bit, and also as a Quarian engineer, that's pretty dope too.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
endtherapture said:
Soldier is just so boring in multiplayer, it's okay in singeplayer cos you have the other 2 squadmates to command but it's so boring in multiplayer.
I feel like Soldiers got the short end of the stick in multiplayer since you can only have 2 guns. The Soldier's defining feature is really having all the guns.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Yeah, I'm having a fair bit of fun with the multiplayer portion of the demo. However, I frequently get into seriously laggy games, it's really annoying. Also, is it just me or does pretty much every class require an Assault Rifle? I've tried just rolling with an SMG instead, but I'm seriously disadvantaged.

Speaking of the difficulty, it seems to be very variable. It's either too easy, or way too hard. I'm not sure what you could do to remedy the situation, but I don't get enough nail-biting, tough but fair matches.

Setrus

Oct 17, 2011
latenightapplepie said:
Yeah, I'm having a fair bit of fun with the multiplayer portion of the demo. However, I frequently get into seriously laggy games, it's really annoying. Also, is it just me or does pretty much every class require an Assault Rifle? I've tried just rolling with an SMG instead, but I'm seriously disadvantaged.
Eh, the SMG is a weaker form of an assault rifle, as in low damage per shot, but high volume of fire, excellent for breaking through shields. That said, the assault rifle can do more serious damage on its own while the smg is lighter, meaning your abilities recover faster, it's all about whether you prefer killing via weapons or abilities.

Bebus

Feb 12, 2010
I feel bad for not having the time to search through various forums to find this answer...

But does anybody know if points etc accumulated in the demo will be carried forward to the full game?

tendaji

Aug 15, 2008
Bebus said:
I feel bad for not having the time to search through various forums to find this answer...

But does anybody know if points etc accumulated in the demo will be carried forward to the full game?
No they will not. It's more of a beta MP experience than an early release.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
tendaji said:
Bebus said:

Do you have an official source for that? It's not that I don't believe you, I just want to read it myself.

tendaji

Aug 15, 2008
Elamdri said:
tendaji said:
Bebus said:

Do you have an official source for that? It's not that I don't believe you, I just want to read it myself.
Chris Priestly said:
Will any data from Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer carry over into the real game? Like the Galactic Readiness level or similar?

No, no data from the Multiplay or Single Player demo carries into the real game.
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/324/index/9006820

Yeah unfortunately not, but good because some people are already max level as it is, so what's the point of them playing?

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
tendaji said:
Elamdri said:
tendaji said:
Bebus said:

Chris Priestly said:
Will any data from Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer carry over into the real game? Like the Galactic Readiness level or similar?

No, no data from the Multiplay or Single Player demo carries into the real game.

Yeah unfortunately not, but good because some people are already max level as it is, so what's the point of them playing?
Ah, thank you :D

I'm actually ok with that. I made a few mistakes with some of my builds and I was hoping for a reset now that I've experimented a bit.

As for people being already max level, well I always thought that the point of playing a game was to have fun playing the game, not getting sucked into a Skinner's Box mechanic to keep you playing the game. I mean, the progression is nice, but I'll still keep playing once I have everyone maxed out at 20.

It might be that I think that way because I've been playing FPS for a long time, and back then we played games like Doom, Unreal Tournament, Quake, Half-Life and Counter-Strike. In those games there were no progressions and levels; shooting a dude in the head was it's own reward.

tendaji

Aug 15, 2008
Elamdri said:
tendaji said:
Elamdri said:
tendaji said:
Bebus said:

Chris Priestly said:

Ah, thank you :D

I'm actually ok with that. I made a few mistakes with some of my builds and I was hoping for a reset now that I've experimented a bit.

As for people being already max level, well I always thought that the point of playing a game was to have fun playing the game, not getting sucked into a Skinner's Box mechanic to keep you playing the game. I mean, the progression is nice, but I'll still keep playing once I have everyone maxed out at 20.

It might be that I think that way because I've been playing FPS for a long time, and back then we played games like Doom, Unreal Tournament, Quake, Half-Life and Counter-Strike. In those games there were no progressions and levels; shooting a dude in the head was it's own reward.
Apparently there is also going to be a respec ability that costs credits or something, I'm pretty sure you can find it on that forum as well.